Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Walker

Sea Shepherds sank Ady Gil

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by wscott52, Oct 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Fishing is for fish, yes. When you're killing whales it's called "whaling", which is illegal.

The Japanese, however, call it "research", which is ostensibly what the vessel in question was doing. And while the International Whaling Commission rejected Japans "research proposals", Japan went ahead and issues themselves permits (how magnanimous) to do whatever they pleased.(Because, of course, the law doesn't apply to them... because they said so.)

They even went and made a nice little "Institute of Cetacean Research" to formalize the slaughter.

How nice of them. :rolleyes:
  2. airship

airship Senior Member

Kevin wrote:
    But it's not necessarily illegal. Even the USA allows for whaling in the context of Eskimo rights'.

It would be nice to think like NYCAP123 believes, that our individual actions when it comes to buying a new car, washing machine, TV etc. will have any effect. In our present day, when for example, GM in USA needed rescuing by the US taxpayer recently, whilst GM's operations in China continued to report a profit. You could exclude all SONY products from your shopping list (have you consulted your kids about that yet?) tomorrow, but SONY's technology is probably integrated into so many other products manufactured in Taiwan, China, S. Korea and even the few remaining US assembly plants (you could add Honda, Toyota etc. to the list), that if one was to truly boycott the countries with fleets that hunt whales, you'd have to be content with a 1970s era colour TV.

Of course, the day may arrive when all human-beings become vegetarian. Otherwise, the few remaining human-beings (content to live under the present regime/s), can only look forward to what happened in one of the Star Trek movies. You know the one: where the Enterprise had to come back in time, tele-transport a few whales into the future, in order to convince the alien cube that whales still swam in the Earth's oceans. You might fool the alien cube once, but not a second time...?!:(
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Subsistence whaling by a tiny handful of native people is not even remotely close to wholesale commercial whaling for a country with a population of nearly 130 million individuals.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It is truly a matter of principle more than effect, but to do otherwise gives carte blanche. Plus, you'd actually be surprised at the power of one gadfly. When everybody just moans nobody cares, but when one person acts he gives others the incentive to act knowing they're not alone.
    There was a time when the Hudson River in NY was given up for lost. After all, who was powerful enough to take on companies like GE. Yet today the river is clean and the shore is lined with the crumbling plants of the polluters who are now out of business.
    Now granted that Japan does not seem to be represented in a large way on YF, but it is monitored. Whaling companies as well as the government of Japan monitor public opinion, comments and actions relating to these things. They know that my refusing to buy their products and not doing it quietly could easily translate into 1,000 people worldwide not buying their product, and if 10 of them do it loudly....
    PR is a powerful tool.
  5. airship

airship Senior Member

Sorry Kevin, but the alien cube which wants to hear the whales singing continues to haunt me. And (your) USS Enterprise has still to make an appearance.

Do you seriously believe that the spiteful (and pitiful) capture under the guise of scientific research of whales by Japanese fleets somehow feeds all 130 million Japanese...?! You do the average Japanese a great injustice, I believe.

But what the heck, go ahead with Enola Gay II, let's see if that changes anything.

PS.
    So, name just 1 person...?! It's not our decision anymore NYCAP123. So far as I'm concerned, I'll continue to welcome stray cats into my life for as long as I think I can care for them. I'd have preferred trying to adopt Bengal tigers though. I can almost imagine it. I'm rich, inhabiting one of the few remaining wild areas bordering India and Nepal. One day, whilst walking through the forest, I came upon a young tiger...
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Me. I acted because someone else did. Almost any company will tell you that 1 person complaining represents at least another 100 who didn't complain, but are ticked off. That's why very few companies ignor complaints. Most don't care about losing a customer. They do care about losing 100 or 1,000 or....
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Did the thought ever cross your mind that these companies might not have closed the plants and moved because of purely environmental concerns but the reduced cost of doing business in the far east which would allow an increase in profit margins after freighting the goods halfway round the world to sell and none of the headaches of doing business in the local economy.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Of course they moved because the cost of doing business got too much. That's the whole point. Plus the CEO's couldn't even buy a morning paper without their neighbors shaming them. Most of these companies went out of business, but some did in fact move the dirty end of their businesses to foreign shores where countries were willing to sell out their citizens. So, where will whaling re-open when Japan finds it too embarrassing and expensive to condone it?
  9. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

So, the point being argued is, if something is being done wrong in one's opinion, one is free to do more wrong things to combat it?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Isn't that the very definition of defense?
  11. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I heard it's the definition of chaos.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Vengeance also. Arbitrary questions bring arbitrary answers 'in one's opinion'.:cool:
  13. Ward

Ward Senior Member

Sorry to mess up a serious discussion, but the aliens in Star Trek who came looking for whales were in the giant cylindrical ship, it was the Borg from later series' who had the cube.
  14. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I have read that all Sea Shepherd boats are registered as yachts because "Captain" Watson has no official credentials at all. He could not command them if they were registered as commercial vessels.

Interesting, but long, article on Watson and his loopy crew:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/05/071105fa_fact_khatchadourian?currentPage=all
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Both registering as yachts and not carrying a ticket would be smart moves all things considered.
  16. airship

airship Senior Member

Ward wrote:
    That may well be the case. And neither Capt. James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise or any other US government department/s have paid adequate fees nor solicited my personal advice during the current period (+/- 5,000 years).

So maybe the Earth won't be subjected to "other-worldly" messages, however dire. We should all merely await vengence / repentence and Armageddon as previously announced in the scriptures.
  17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Damage to Our Oceans...inflected by man

...there were a couple of passages from this article that I wanted to make note of such that I might be interested in returning to them for a comment:

1)
    Now why should a permit be required??

2)
    I would suggest that if you really want to see some of this distruction of the cod, haddock, and halibut fisheries off the Grand Banks, pay a visit to the town and its muesum in Lunnenberg, Nova Scotia. I've done so twice.

3)
    4)
  18. brian eiland

Damage to Our Oceans

Imagine an ocean that is losing much of its sea-life, and then an anoxic event that pushes it into greater stagnation....Ocean Stagnation, it has occurred before. (1hr:02 minutes of the film)

Then have a look at 'the engine of ocean circulation' (1hr:8min:30sec)

Questioning anoxic events?? Take a look at some lakes in upstate New York (1:10:30)

If we allow our oceans to die, and some of this related to our fuel (carbon molecule) managements, we may well severely challenge man's survivability on this planet.

...that was a portion of a posting I did on the film "CRUDE"....here:
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/69609-post55.html

CRUDE OIL...an absolute must see film
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You don't need to go to Looneyburg, just read Cod by Mark Kurlansky.
  20. brian eiland

But it makes a BIG impression when you see the PHOTOs of those early day catches