Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Sea Recovery 600gpd soft water?

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by ArielM, Jun 11, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

i have a sea recovery 600 gpd water maker. Does a water maker produce soft water? I was out on the water for 5 days last week and made about 250 gallons of water so the water in my tanks were all from my water maker. After washing my hands a few times i noticed i had the "soapy feeling" that i get when i wash my hands at home ( i have a water softner at home). THrough the intense filtration process that takes place in the water maker does the water become soft? Let me know if this question doesn't make sense.
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

...yes
  3. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

Ya I just read it on sea recovery website. Thanks for your confirmation.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are using a lot of RO Water and have copper pipes or HW Heater liner you would do well to add a limestone filter to the product line to re harden the water a bit, soft RO Water is well known to deteriorate copper when used solely.
  5. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

why is that?
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

RO Water is just basically very finely filtered water.

Removing everything bigger than the water molecules that can pass the filters rips out a lot of minerals which makes the product slightly acid.

This will make pinholes in your copper parts in time.
  7. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Interesting thread.
    There's this Dutchman who was going to convert a fishing trawler into a super yacht. He has a blog where he wrote about almost everything that came to play with this project. Here's the post about making water and 'upgrading' it for human consumption.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We have 900gpd headachemaker* from sea recovery and have a charcoal filter and a PH cartridge in the output line. The PH filter restores some of the minerals missing from the water.

* just replaced the expensive touchscreen control board, 2nd in 3 years... Touchscreen has lines on it... And occasionally throws error codes on power up...
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

RO Water straight out of the machine on a boat isn't something I would be in much of a hurry to drink myself.

The std treatment on way to consumers used to be UV Sterilisation, nowadays for vessels that have to comply with them there are rules and regs that require the use of something to treat the water on the way to the storage tanks and then UV on the way to the consumers.

Chlorine is the cheap and cheerful way to get past these. Silver Ion or Copper and Silver Ion treatment is another way.
  10. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

this is interesting information. thank you.

what about RO filtration in a house? Dont a lot of people get RO filter systems for drinking water? What do i need to offset this acid imbalance? Is it bad to wash your boat with water from the RO filtration? The softwater would greatly minimize water spots. If you get a ph neutralizer to the system we are back to harder water which leaves water spots. Please correct me if i am wrong.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah with the PH cartridge the water is just as hard as the average dock water..

I had the UV light installed on the water coming out of the tank instead of on the WM output this way everything is treated. We also have a charcoal filter on the tank output
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't work on any yachts where only RO water is used, and they have copper lines. But this is very good info to know, I didn't know this.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah, be ready to replace a fitting in about 300 years.
  14. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

I am not worried about the fittings at all. I think for the most part i have all PVC anyway. But IF the water coming out of the WM is acidic then what does this mean for the wax? I usually wash down the boat once im back at my mooring.

And what about water softners used at the dock? They also take minerals out of the water to it "soft". That raises the acidity as well. Does this not have an effect on the boats surface?
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, and that wonderful touchscreen control board is around $2400. I had one that kept throwing high salinity, we changed the sensor and it still read high salinity. We unhooked the wires from the salinity sensor and just ran it.......
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi.

Did you actually check and see what the salinity was? A ruptured membrane will give you a high reading all day long.

The damage won't happen to your Copper things overnight and won't if you use a good portion of dock water, I was referring to those boats that run pretty much solely on dockwater.

As for wash downs, obviously soft water doesn't spot so much, standard RO Product Water can also be made a bit softer by another lap through an RO Plant. I was on a boat where we had a second RO Plant setup to take water from the Fresh Water Tanks and run it through again, this was used as "Technical Water" and was primarily intended to use in the Turbine of the Chopper.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You mean you were referring to those boats that run solely on RO water.

Yeah we tasted it coming right out of the watermaker. There was no salt in it whatsoever. We even tested it as well. If you fired the unit up with the salinity unplugged it still read really high salt readings without being able to do so. Searecovery mentioned the circuit board was the issue and admitted they had issues with them and had a "new" design. The owner wasn't willing to spend $2400 for it.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"There was no salt in it whatsoever" You might be surprised at how much salt is in that water.

A comparison between RO water and the distillate coming from a low pressure evaporator such as supplies all the water consumed for all purposes on steamships might put the dangers of RO water in a slightly different perspective.

RO Total dissolved solids (what the meter reads): ~ 200 Evap: <20
    RO Chlorides: 105 Evap: <20
    RO pH: ~6 Evap pH: ~6 (about the same as saliva or eggs)
    RO Hardness: 20 Evap hardness: <.02

All the water produced on a steamship is boiler feedwater quality. When the feed tanks are full the valve is switched over to the potable water tanks.

People have been drinking that ultra-pure water for a long time without damaging the ship's piping or their own. Your boat is not going to dissolve and neither are you.
  19. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

And they still do. Here in Asia all you drink is bottled water. Most people drink distilled water all the time. The market leader promotes it's water by stating that it is distilled at 105 degrees Celsius so very safe to drink.
    I don't drink distilled water because draining minerals on a hot day without replenishing them gives me a headache.
  20. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

CaptJ,
    Just had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Called SeaRecovery and they said to remove (unscrew) salinity sensor white wire attached and clean it. I did and its now workinng well again. Glad it wasn't the touch screen.