Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Plankton and Watermakers

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by Pascal, Nov 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

curious to know how others handle plankton up north during the summer. We had a watermaker installed before heading north in the spring (900gpd sea recovery) which has been almost useless as the prefilters clog up after only a couple of hours.

The installed did include a plankton filter before the pre filters but it clogs too fast. The pre filters are the standard type, not the commercial sized models for which space would have been too tight.

The installer is in south florida and not very experienced with plankton issues, the dealer up in Newport said not much can be done.

Looking at the Sea Recovery site, i see they have a media filter, similar to a pool filter that can be backflushed. it looks like it would trap plankton and other solids, hopefully lasting longer (and back flushing is easier than replacing/cleaning 3 cartirdges)

Is this the best option?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A few years ago I ran a boats engine room in Alaska in the summer.

We had a flushable sand filter and also a cannister with 6 Wound Cloth Filters on each 15,000 Lt per day machine.

The Wound ones would do approx 36 hrs operation, could be back flushed and cleaned by an onboard made device and re used for about 12 hrs.

Next time I am sailing there as Chief I will make sure I have plenty of spares so I won't need to perform the rudimentary cleaning cycle.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Having spent a great deal of time in SE Alaska I will confirm K1W1's statement and advice. Backflush filters and plenty of string filters are the only solution. Don't scrimp on inlet piping size either, flow is reduced quickly enough as it is.