Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Westport

Making Career Choice...Work in Newport, RI???

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by CaptainSilva, Dec 11, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Hey everybody...

I've been on the water since I could walk. I've been driving boats since I was 5 years old...which gives me a total of around 18 years hands-on experience. I'm 23, and located in the Northeast and I have spent most of my time in Rhode Island. I've ran sportfishing charters with my father for the past 4 years and I'm now interested in making boating/yachting my lifelong career choice. I am getting my captain's license (6 pack) over the winter for starters. Ultimately, my goal is to end up as a capatin for a private yacht.

Any help and/or recommendations would be much appreciated. Courses, qualifications I need, plans of action to get to where I want to be...etc.

Also, anyone local (in the Northeast or Rhode Island area) that could offer some advice in this situation would just make my day. Thanks!!!
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's actually a couple of threads discussing just this subject in the Yacht Captains section found HERE. Enjoy.
  3. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Captain Silva,

This post has been moved under the Yacht Captains forum. If you had taken the time to read this forum, I'm sure you would have found the answers you seek.

BTW, I'm having trouble with your math...

Admin
  4. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Sorry...like I said I am new to the whole online forum thing and got a little lost in all the threads and forums and what not. I also adjusted my math too...haha. Thanks for the help guys!!
  5. Captcruz

Captcruz New Member

Capt Silver In Newport

Wish I read this post a few days ago, I could have met you. I was home in Bristol visiting the family and just returned to S. Florida last night. I grew up the same as you out on the Bay until I was your age. Have been on Yachts for 16 years and can offer my help to you in getting started. Send me a message on how to contact you.
  6. bbourdon

bbourdon New Member

Yachtmaster School in Newport

Capt Kent Dresser has a school for Yachtmaster certification this is a good qualification to have and I am coming back east this year to attend. The name of the school is confident captain. This may be good for you.