Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

High pressure pump issue

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by Pascal, Dec 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Brand new high pressure pump with less than 3 hours run time. Baldor 240v motor on a 2400 GOD sea recovery.

Pump hums, doesn’t build any pressure and turns pretty slowly when observing the coupling thru the mounting flange. I can hear a change in sound from the generator. If left on for more than a few second, it shuts down.

I uncoupled the pump from the motor. Pump turns fine by hand with as one resistance but it s not seized

motor spins up fast without the pump.

I am wondering if one capacitors isn’t bad. There are three capacitor in the box. Never tested any and before following some directions found on YouTube I figured I d ask here. Yes I have a fluke capable of reading uF

of course this happens on day two of a month long trip to the Exumas... not quite dead in the water as right before leaving I listened to that little voice and installed a back up 800gpd SeaWater pro.
    B43709F7-F3C7-4E89-8F10-3E203B1CE5CE.jpeg D3A455E0-EE2F-471D-BE90-6509820BBA6C.jpeg
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It did work for 3 hours?
    Old pump on board?

I can put a used one together this evening and ship it out in the morning.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

R U sure it isn't a 230V 50Hz motor?
    I can't read all the yellow label on the box, but it does show 230VAC at its top.

Anyway, the symptoms you describe indeed suggest a bad running (not starting) capacitor.
    Not sure of why there should be 3, though.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No the 16 year old belt driven pump was trashed.

It is 240v 60hz

going to test the capacitors, easier to ship and replace than a 150 lbs pump
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Standing by.

I have a new kit to install on the Cat Pump.
    Just have not installed it knowing this was a spare pump that was just going to sit.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did you really trash it?
    Or hide it somewhere safe??
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

You might be unable to spot a defective run capacitor with just a multimeter.
    Easier to just replace it and see what happens - it's not a big investment anyway!
    If you pull the capacitors out of their brackets and post pics of their labels, we can see who's who.
    Don't forget to discharge them, after detaching the wires!
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I pulled the two capacitors and tested them. They re both within acceptable range 229 MFD range 216-259 and 40 MFD range 40 MFD +- 6%

The third thing in the box isn’t a capacitor but a switch.

B1CEE484-FE1E-4100-B9FD-3A5DDA54948D.jpeg
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Call the sales guy.
    Failure in 3 hours is a warranty issue.
    What can they do to keep a customer happy? Find a replacement close by? Help with shipping you another one?

How is your second RO system running?
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The back up is fine, but only 36gph

Christmas week... installer is out of town but got back to me quickly about testing the capacitors. His supplier is closed till next week.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well now it s working. Reinstalled the capacitors and tried it.... started right up. Odd. All the connectors were nice and tight when I pulled them. We ll see
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I hate bugs like this. I can never trust it till I find a problem that I know was the problem.
    Intermittent does not fix it self.
    Fingers cross for you.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I know.... it did that a couple of months ago, first time I tried using it. Two days later when tech came it was fine...

I wonder if a capacitor can fail intermittently. Or maybe that switch which controls the capacitors
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Tell me more about that switch, Like a starter relay on an A/C compressor?
    Manual on/off?
    Pressure activated?
    It is a cap started motor, so I do not think it has a swinging weight switch on the motors shaft,, or does it?

Intermittent does not fix it self. Only luck keeps things going like this.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I posted a picture earlier but low res and hard to read the label. It has four terminals which are connected to either capacitor and one line in. Here is a clearer picture.

I know issues rarely fix themselves :)

06368F17-DCB7-4A5B-85BF-695C95E0EF28.jpeg
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Like a compressor, a start relay. Just it looks like a cap in that bake-light package.
    https://www.witmermotorservice.com/477205015U03-Stearns-SINPAC-Electronic-Switch/item/2VR50-310
    Amazon had them.

If the motor starts, don't turn it off.
    Ease up on the pressure to reduce noise and ACv current draw, just don't turn it off.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve turned it on and off a few times this afternoon. No issue. Restarted fine. We ll see ...
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

May the Schwartz be with you..
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

And didn't he mention that a multimeter test with no load on a capacitor is as reliable as tossing a coin? :confused:

Based on your latest findings, two things are clear and another remains a question mark:
    The two clear things are that the motor is fine, and whenever it doesn't run it's due to a faulty electrical supply.
    The question mark is about whether the culprit is the run capacitor or some other parts of the circuit, like the switch you mentioned.
    Now, I have no clue about what that switch is for and how it works, but the 40 MDF run capacitor (which I envisaged to be defective already in my post #3) is something I could buy for less than 10 Eur in any electrical store here, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't do the same anywhere in the US.
    In other words, it's a no brainer - just replace it and chunk the old one in the garbage. I bet that the problem will not reappear.
    Of course, if instead it would, you should look into that switch first, whatever it's meant for.
    Hard to comment that without an electrical scheme, though.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The closest decent electrical store is 250nm away... going to get replacement capacitor and switch ordered and brought in by the next people coming in two weeks. Shipping them here is a major PITA