Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Walker

| Blohm + Voss | 119M | M/Y "A" -ex.Project "Sigma" - | 2008 |

Discussion in 'Blohm & Voss Yacht' started by YachtForums, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

2. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Yacht "A" in San Diego

Yacht "A" arrived in San Diego last week, was berthed at the 10th street terminal until today (08-10-10). She is now anchored in San Diego Bay Img_0007s.jpg
    Sorry about the photo quality, I shot it from my house with a small digital. You might see the small black square on the port bow, which I suppose is the anchor pocket. I wondered how they would handle an anchor on that bow. Inside access?
  3. Yacht News

Her forecastle where they work the bow lines as well as the anchor windlasses are indoors as opposed to on an open air bow as per tradition. So in the case of "A", they are operated the same way just their location is a little different. Additionally, her anchor pockets are hidden behind flush fitting doors that open up on command like gull wings to allow the anchors to work (this is just a matter of aesthetics to preserve the clean lines of the yacht). There are also hydraulic bow platforms that open up in the bow so that you can go out and see the anchor, anchor chains, bowlines, etc.
  4. Steve in SoCal

Steve in SoCal Member

There was a bit about this yacht on the local new tonight; she is moored in the Santa Monica Bay for the night on passage to the San Francisco Bay.

I have read the comments about her design and would like to add another point of inspiration for her lines; N.S. Savannah. Personally I was not fond of her at first glance but, I have come to like the clean sleek lines. I tend to like traditional lines on boats however, this like a mid century modern building has a bold look, that is all her own.

This is certainly the most significant boat to grace our little patch of coast line in a long time. I am glad to see her and hope everyone on her enjoys their visit.

Steve
  5. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

"A" is still in Malibu as of August 15. I took some photos which I will post below. One thing that certainly stood out to me was the amount of paparazzi that were there to take photos. I have taken photos of yachts in the past but in different areas but I guess anchoring "A" in Los Angeles will bring out the normally Hollywood following.

Attached Files:

• A 4.jpg
      A 4.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • A 5.jpg
      A 5.jpg
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
    • A 8.jpg
      A 8.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • A 2.jpg
      A 2.jpg
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
    • A 3.jpg
      A 3.jpg
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
  6. German Yachting

Here are some more including photos of the open tender. The first photo below really shows the true size of the vessel when you look at the bow and see how small the kayaks are in comparison. Also, the second photo shows a sail boat which was there. I do not know the name but she looks like a Perini. I can post photos of this sailboat but someone would need to direct me to the appropriate thread to do so.

Edit: The Perini sailing yacht might be "Zenji".

Attached Files:

7. Yacht News

8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

9. German Yachting

I was looking for some thread about unknown yachts (which I could not find at first glance) but I suppose I will post the photos there. Also, the main reason why I posted that specific photo was because it also included "A" in it so that it would remain on topic. I will post photos of the Perini under the link you gave me. Either way though, the yacht appears to be a Perini but that could even be wrong so that is why I was also looking for a thread regarding unknown yachts.
  10. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Kia SB ad

Did anybody notice the yacht in the Kia Optima commercial during the SB? Seems like somebody is a fan of Sigma/A. :D

Attached Files:

11. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I grew up in Savannah, GA and toured the NS Savannah on her inagural visit to her home port. The only similarity I see between the two is they are both white. The NS Savannah was a beautiful ship and does not deserve to be compared to the yacht "A". Personally I think "A" is silly looking and the only purpose to her design was to be different.
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Did anybody notice the yacht in the Kia Optima commercial during the SB? [/QUOTE]
    Yep, I caught it. I was going to pose the same question to YF, but I couldn't remember who sponsored the commercial.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is the advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwM2xlT7Dk
  14. It is similar to the 'a' but not equal. The round 3 windows below are different and the bridge quite other, but same similarity in a name called 'Desire'... it is possible to be seen in the changes...
  15. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

I wasn't saying they simply copied "A", but the influence of such a controversial design cannot be missed. The ad agency didn't want to pick just any other yacht out there; they wanted something different that would stand out. I'm sure the number of viewers who recognized the strong similarity to a real yacht was exceedingly small versus the number that probably has never seen anything like it and most likely think it was totally made up for the ad.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have just had the ex First Engineer of A in my office, he was amazed at the resemblance to the boat but confirms it is not the real thing.

I have sent him the link and he will send it on to those still involved to see if they know anything about it.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's hard to imagine anything like this coming on the scene unnoticed. I'm thinking they took pics of "A" and created "Desire" in the photo lab.
  18. [QUOTE='roundthehorn]I wasn't saying they simply copied "A", but the influence of such a controversial design cannot be missed. The ad agency didn't want to pick just any other yacht out there; they wanted something different that would stand out. I'm sure the number of viewers who recognized the strong similarity to a real yacht was exceedingly small versus the number that probably has never seen anything like it and most likely think it was totally made up for the ad.[/QUOTE]
    agree totally with what you said! An another resemblance to be equal similar odd... What told the owner about it? Well in video shows women and a pretty 'interesting' guy in who i do not suppose being actually the A-owner to allow the similarities so spread. Actually was based on, at least.
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hmm, donĀ“t tell me the space ship is fake as well..! :confused:
  20. Yacht News