Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for McConaghy
Click for Walker
Click for Alexseal
Click for Delta
Click for JetForums
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Feadship Yacht > Pilothouse Design For Vintage 1960 FEADSHIP

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

View Poll Results: which PH design do you prefer for my 1960 Feadship
image 2 - with pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side 7 33.33%
image 2c - with less pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side 9 42.86%
image 2d - with no knuckle at aft edge of PH side 3 14.29%
any other suggestions? 2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Pilothouse Design For Vintage 1960 FEADSHIP

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
84far's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, AUS
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
I agree with you about being daring - trouble is I'm stuck with the existing lower (saloon ) windows.
Trouble... then the canoe stern, high topsides, aggressive step sheer, powerful bow, saloon windows, must all be trouble as well?
From a design point of view, I think the designers were daring and got it wrong with the pilot house, it looks like it belongs on a 45' Hinckley picnic boat, and same with the new design IMO.

The thing is 85% of the boat all point towards a slow motor cruiser (heavy), not a fast picnic boat. I think that's why Lars suggested the timber pilot house, going with traditional old looks.

Have you thought about going for more of a longer cabin and bringing up those saloon windows (consistency), and making it more practical enclosed pilot house, and also having a curved timber mast on top of the saloon roof?

I would love to draw something up if need be ? Cheers

Far
84far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84far
Trouble... then the canoe stern, high topsides, aggressive step sheer, powerful bow, saloon windows, must all be trouble as well?
From a design point of view, I think the designers were daring and got it wrong with the pilot house, it looks like it belongs on a 45' Hinckley picnic boat, and same with the new design IMO.

The thing is 85% of the boat all point towards a slow motor cruiser (heavy), not a fast picnic boat. I think that's why Lars suggested the timber pilot house, going with traditional old looks.

Have you thought about going for more of a longer cabin and bringing up those saloon windows (consistency), and making it more practical enclosed pilot house, and also having a curved timber mast on top of the saloon roof?

I would love to draw something up if need be ? Cheers

Far

believe me, I tried different designs including the following, but nothing really worked. We thought the the current proposed design was a fair compromise between the origanal open helm and the kind of traditional PH that you describe, whilst at the same time having a sexy snazzy 1960s , Dolce Vita/ james Bond / look .. but I'd really apreciate it if you would have a go. best
david
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
MKM Membership Revoked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
if the boat is 100% yours, i personally think you should do as you best would like to be, independent how traditional lines were. It is not a restoration work, but seems a remake, an opportunity to match exactly your desire. But in any decision you take, the design must be perfect, harmonic, with high-quality and coerency of curves to be simple well done beautiful. But i think i am alone in this opinion probably. It is yours, then you are complete free to decide. I personally like all versions without preference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM
if the boat is 100% yours, i personally think you should do as you best would like to be, independent how traditional lines were. It is not a restoration work, but seems a remake, an opportunity to match exactly your desire. But in any decision you take, the design must be perfect, harmonic, with high-quality and coerency of curves to be simple well done beautiful. But i think i am alone in this opinion probably. It is yours, then you are complete free to decide. I personally like all versions without preference.

thanks - yes she is !00% mine (and the bank's!!) . She is a rebuild rather than a pure restoration, so I can indeed do whatever I like, However, I believe in respecting her heritage and I'm so torn about what to do with the PH (which will make or break her in terms of looks) that I'm keen to have other boat lovers' opinions..
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
thanks - yes she is !00% mine (and the bank's!!) . She is a rebuild rather than a pure restoration, so I can indeed do whatever I like, However, I believe in respecting her heritage and I'm so torn about what to do with the PH (which will make or break her in terms of looks) that I'm keen to have other boat lovers' opinions..
and here are drawings of what I think are the best alternatives ...(with PH is white)

a) single large "swept" window that mirrors the original open helm window
b) same shaped as above but split into 2 windows with central mullion
c) 2 windows that match the lower saloon windows
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
MKM Membership Revoked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
alternative B is the best imo, but still requires an adjustment in the rear curve of PH. If you like that, then do like that. If you choose B, I probably would change the profile of rear lower side window to have a faster impression like the upper rear one, because the upper rear one has a parallel curve like the deck step in middle front is. All 4 curves imo must have same parallel profile for harmony. Some radius must be changed then, maybe, bringing curves up or translation/bit movement. But for that C seems the start point to work with. It requires only the PH rear curve to be adjusted then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM
alternative B is the best imo, but still requires an adjustment in the rear curve of PH. If you like that, then do like that. If you choose B, I probably would change the profile of rear lower side window to have a faster impression like the upper rear one, because the upper rear one has a parallel curve like the deck step in middle front is. All 4 curves imo must have same parallel profile for harmony. Some radius must be changed then, maybe, bringing curves up or translation/bit movement. But for that C seems the start point to work with. It requires only the PH rear curve to be adjusted then.
I cant adjust the lower window shape - doing so would mean rebuliding the entire superstructure ....the original open-helm window was a much more swept/faster shape (see earlier posts) so I tried to emulate it but round-off the aft corner to better match the afr corner of the lower window
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
I cant adjust the lower window shape - doing so would mean rebuliding the entire superstructure ....the original open-helm window was a much more swept/faster shape (see earlier posts) so I tried to emulate it but round-off the aft corner to better match the afr corner of the lower window
here is Alto as launched
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Seafarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hudson River
Posts: 782
My preference is for option A, but again - the radius of the pilothouse's sweep should match the radius of the pilothouse window's sweep. I'd bring that radius up higher and try for a smaller radius in the return, to end up with a slightly longer flying roof, and a more delicate (modern) look.
Seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
84far's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, AUS
Posts: 784
David,

Ill have a little go if you want, post #17 - drawing number 2, with the longer cabin was what I was thinking (3 and 4 look good as well though), but I do have a little idea that can still use the original P/H window. Cheers

James Bond = sleek and sexy, but that involves modern and cold styles from its era. So your looking for DB4/5 look... not DB7/9

Far
84far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
62ft 1961 VINTAGE FEADSHIP - NEW PILOTHOUSE DESIGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
here are a couple of renders showing the proposed PH in profile . the PH in the 2nd render is slightly shorter than in the 1st one .
here is another, further developed render of how we envisage Alto's new Pilot House. The last 2 images show the aft view with a partition windows that will rise up on gas struts from within the lockers, when the weather is inclement. The doors are removable.
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Vintage Feadship - New Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
here is another, further developed render of how we envisage Alto's new Pilot House. The last 2 images show the aft view with a partition windows that will rise up on gas struts from within the lockers, when the weather is inclement. The doors are removable.

So, I think were almost there with the designs of the PH - here is what I have in mind. Incidentally, the PH's aft screen is on gas struts and can lower into the island lockers, and the PH doors are removable so that when conditions permit , the PH is open to the aft deck but in inclement weather, or when the boat is left, we can close up the PH
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_japp
So, I think were almost there with the designs of the PH - here is what I have in mind. Incidentally, the PH's aft screen is on gas struts and can lower into the island lockers, and the PH doors are removable so that when conditions permit , the PH is open to the aft deck but in inclement weather, or when the boat is left, we can close up the PH
here is the PH with the aft screen lowered into the lockers and the doors removed
Attached Images
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CaptEvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 159
I know maintenance is an issue, but the stark white of the top looks to me like an enclosed flybridge on a contemporary sportfish. Could you add some woodwork to classify her? Just a humble opinion of a wood lover.
CaptEvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: london
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvan
I know maintenance is an issue, but the stark white of the top looks to me like an enclosed flybridge on a contemporary sportfish. Could you add some woodwork to classify her? Just a humble opinion of a wood lover.
Hi
I've tried all different shapes styles and designs ... in wood, in white...and in combination ...an all-wood PH looks 1950s and a bit "fusty" wheras she is a 1960's flashy sexy "dolce vita" / James Bond type boat and I think the current PH suits her very well... a bit like a big ChrisCraft Constellation (which, incidentally, is what her original designers modeled her superstructure on in order beat the American competition ).. We will however be adding some wood accents and that will soften her "stark" white look
Best
David
david_japp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are EST. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Click for Elling
Click for Dockwise
Click for Burger
Click for McKinna
Click for Christensen
Click for Bering


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2