Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

What Hull Colour for Vintage 1960 Feadship

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Mar 20, 2010.

?

what colour hull for 62ft 1960 Feadship Alto volante

1. white

40.9%
  2. off-white

27.3%
  3. duck-egg blue

11.4%
  4. some other colour

20.5%
  1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I'm in agreement with the result of the poll I posted on the subject of the design for the new Pilothouse for my 62ft vintage 1960 Feadship "Alto Volante" (ex Tiky), which is having a total refit (more like a rebuild) in the UK, and I'm going for the single curved widow with eyebrow.

Now, what colour should we paint the hull...white,.... or ivory,... or something that is perhaps a bit more interesting like duck egg blue (which is a very typical early sixties colour)...or some other colour ....what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hate to say it David, but............................Magnolia!!!!!! Argggh.

No, really, they look great in off-white.

Fish,
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

are you suggesting only the hull in off-white, or hull and PH / side coamings all on O-W? doesn't it tend to look like just ordinary brilliant white in strong sunshine?
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Check out Fighting Lady Yellow and the cream color for which Herreshoff was noted.
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I would suggest the hull only being a different hue if you do intend to go this route. The pilothouse design looks stunning in pure white, and sets off the brightwork nicely.
  6. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

here she is in a shade of off-white and another darker version of same ,,,(too much of a cream , I think)

Attached Files:

7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

That's the one, creamy hull, nice varnish and a snow white deckhouse. Very classic.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Check out the hull/superstructure color combination on Pelorus. Yes, it's a modern super-yacht but I think that scheme would look great on a classic.
  9. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

here she is in Awl grip "fighting lady"

Attached Files:

10. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Pelorus looks wonderful but its difficult say precisely what colour she is..she looks very different in various photos of her on the web..does any one know what colour it is?
    ..in any event Id be concerned about painting Alto's hull that was too "modern" and that maybe doesn't suit a venerable 62ft classic...but Im open to all suggestions...
  11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Your off white is too yellow, you can have a slightly less yellow off white, which I believe will suit her better.
  12. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Agreed.

Fighting Lady might be too yellow. The cream in the vein of the classic Herreshoff yachts is timeless and elegant, plus it really makes the varnish pop.
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Bloody Magnolia again.

I painted a mate's 42' steel cruiser in Sigma last summer. A nice paint to work with and a great colour but the only word we and the Sigma salesman could come up with was the dreaded 'M' word.
  14. Henning

Henning Senior Member

White.
  15. GFC

GFC Senior Member

I like the hull color in the top photo of post #6.

Or white.

Anything else would look awkward with the white bridge cover. It also would look awkward to have a classic yacht like that be anything in a modern color. Trying to be both modern and classic would not look good.

$.02
  16. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Nice and inclusive way to get the forum talking.

Any chance you could render the picture in a deep blue so we could see what it would look like in a darker colour please a la a WW2 seaplane tender?

Cheers
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

You, more than anyone else, must know how stinking hot the Med can get.

A Dark Blue hull is a heatsink waiting to absorb every midday bake going. An old Feadship isn't going to run A/C all day like a big boat.

Hope the snow and rainfloods have cleared up. :D
  18. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

The weather is not so bad thank-you, no snow here beyond 2 or 3 flakes a coupla weeks ago.

Your point about a dark colour is well made, however I believe dark blue is a classic colour and if it is no trouble to the OP I would like to see the boat rendered as such to see if it would suit it.
  19. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Me too,

If David, the OP, can do a Dark/Royal/Navy Blue picture that would be great.

Blue hulls can be a bit of a bugger to look after though, see previous posts about the 75M Leander G. They streak like heck and scuffs can be seen from miles away.
  20. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

her she is in dark blue - apart from the issue referred to above (ie scuffs and being a heat sink) I think it makes her looker smaller...and a bit less "sexy"

Attached Files: