Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Your desired time on your boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Jan 27, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Olderboater and NYCAP123
    Thank You again for sharing this insight with me. I quite enjoyed following your post back and forth and hey, dont stop now.

It's funny how in the begining of the boat search we were around 28 to 30 foot and looking at trailerable pilot house off shore boats. Man we learned quick that those were not going to do...This went on and on and soon realised that a 45 to 65 foot range would be about correct fit for us.
    I dont think going too big would be wise with only 2 onboard to handle lines etc....

We hope that we will be truly satisfied with the choice we make and just keep the upkeeping up and keep it for life. We will see though how that works out.
    Thanks again and keep on writing
    Jim
  2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Jim, one of the things that hasn't been covered and rcrapps will probably testify to this....Once you move aboard for any length of time, you'll acquire things in your travels, figure out which spare parts you really need to have on hand all the time, Wifey will find stuff she absolutely has to have...etc. Bottom line? Boats get exponentially smaller the longer you live aboard. I'm sure you're the perfect couple, but everyone needs their space every now and then...it's only natural. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should buy something at the upper end of you size range. Buy more space than you think you'll need, A year of living aboard, you'll either thank me or buy a bigger boat! I live aboard a 45' Motor Coach alone, and my storage bins below are full, and I still need more room! Being claustrophobic, I'm very comfortable, until I think about having a Woman aboard living with me, and it's inconceivable. Maybe it's me.
  3. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Brian,
    I do understand what you are saying. That's why for close to 3 years I have been pushing here to rid this place of clutter...Well that is how it started....Funny thing I threw out more then some one else I know, lol

Then a second time and a thrid.. Next year the same thing....Now this year we went at it twice. She caught on and realised if you do not need it every day or so forth then it is ball and chain dragging you down.

About 2 weeks ago we spent close to 12 hours getting rid if stuff and going through stuff. Man I had tax papers and stuff from the early 80's and I spent the next day shreadding stuff for the entire day. Now it is so nice and open and not a choir to get to anything and here is the best part.

Some one here has NO desire to ever collect and store stuff again. Agreement was made to not keep stuff around unless it is a daily thing or close to it such as her knitting andf sewing stuff...books and such....Started this a long time ago and now,,,,,well it's done......I enjoy it when a plan works brother.....lol
    Jim
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, brackish would fall under a saltwater license in almost every area of Florida.....a lake or river that's pure fresh water would qualify for a freshwater license.....
  5. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Caap J,
    Good to Know !!
    I already deleted the pdf that I had down loaded other wise I would let you know where I got this information. There was a few things in it that seemed odd to me but I figured since I have no clue on Florida fishing well it might be true...
    Thanks for the correction
    Jim
  6. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Here's the poop from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:

Do I need a freshwater or saltwater fishing license or both?

In general, you need a freshwater license to take freshwater fish and a saltwater license to take saltwater fish, unless one of the exemptions specified on this Web site applies to your situation. Obviously if you are fishing in pure fresh water where no saltwater species live, you need a freshwater license and likewise if you are fishing in the ocean you need a saltwater license.

However, when you get into estuarine type areas where salt and fresh water commingle and fish of both types can be found the issue becomes less clear. The interpretation of the rule is:

1. You need either a freshwater, saltwater or combination license (or appropriate exemption) to take fish (take is legally defined as taking, attempting to take, pursuing, molesting, capturing, or killing any fish, or their nests or eggs by any means whether or not such actions result in obtaining possession of such fish or their nests or eggs).
    2. If you are using species specific gear, your license should be appropriate (e.g., freshwater or saltwater) to the species you are targeting, and
    3. Otherwise you need an appropriate type license to keep your catch and must immediately release any species for which you are not licensed. License requirements follow the species of fish, regardless of where they are caught. In other words, if you only have a freshwater license and are primarily fishing for largemouth bass or bream (freshwater species) in a river, but happen to catch a red drum (a saltwater species), you must immediately release the red drum.
    If you want more Florida licensing info, look here: http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/faqs/#fresh_or_salt
  7. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Leeky Hi and welcome to YF !
    Thank you for this info. I guess bottom line, get both and be safe.
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Woodies are better. They are more quiet, warmer, smell better, have more character, usually better looking.
    They are definitely cheaper than any bleach bottle boat.
    That being said, I gave up wooden boats about 30 yrs ago.
    Here is why: Skill - Money - Time
    I am handy and mechanically inclined but not a shipwright.
    I cannot afford to pay someone to do repairs of that nature.
    I like working on boats but I don't have enough time to work on and also run one.
    I say this mostly because I like bright work and I would not be happy running around always in a state of " almost done " .

My Dad had a nice 36 foot Richardson cabin cruise. It was a nice family boat. Built in 1953 or so. It was a pretty boat.
    He enjoyed working on it and it was a good thing. It only left the slip a few times per summer.
    There rest of the time was spent replacing lumber or varnishing or painting etc.etc.etc.

I've seen a number of people buy a wooden boat with dreams to fix them up.
    They do their best with enthusiasm for the first season or two.
    Then the novelty wears off in a big way.
    Sometimes these boats are abandoned and the yard has to munch them up into a container. Some times they just disappear............

Finally, it will be tough to get insurance.

My favorite way to enjoy a wooden boat is to take a picture or be lucky enough to be offered a ride by some hearty soul these days.
  9. garhead rick

garhead rick New Member

What do you think of ferrous cement hulls
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Rick,

Please search YF for threads on this subject, as it is not related to the topic of this thread. We all strive to keep threads on track.