Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Your desired time on your boat

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Jan 27, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

You are truly blessed my friend...I hope you remember that next time she asks you to do something that's not convenient for you at that particular time.
  2. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56,
    I believe we will be going with a full displacment hull or as close to one as you can get. I have seen some beautiful Vikings no doubt about that.
    With a full time live a board and NO house to fall back to I am going with a slow and stable fuel sipping rig with a shallow draft. I really think this would work out much better in the end or long haul.

I really won't be doing so much off shore fishing but will pull up on some wrecks or other structure such as rocks and anchor up and simply cast and tight line and jig. Sure to do some trolling but with the type of tender I am looking at to replace the rib will do very well for some serious fishing.

Stabilisers and such, simply are things I do not want to have to deal with at this point in time. You know life at 7 to 8 knots suits us well !!
    Jim
  3. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NYCAP123,
    I have come to agree with you there about buying a good used one or pre broken in one over a brand new built one. The more I searched and asked questions I came to understand this much better. It's good to listen to those who have gone before you and gained much wisdom and insight.....only a fool would insist on his own way.......
    Keep the knowledge coming !!
    Jim
  4. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56 My Friend,
    That's an easy fix to really.........First start off with a florida coaster in the 55 to 65 foot range. They have a decent cockpit (lower) and a wonderful deck (upper) right off the master suite.

They are aranged in such a way that you can have one look like the top end big city suites and have fire places and or wood burners or big gas stoves and many, many rooms and talk about utility room and work space and steel construction and oh so beautiful.

Now then for the other fix...........it's called late night T.V....simply glue your self to the shopping chanels such as qvc etc. Stock up on all the fancy girl stuff they require, and over whelm her with a super stocked asortment of everything in her own what ever they do in those girl time rooms.

Then the next time you pass one of her favorite stores out on the sea's tell her you will stop !! :D:p:D
  5. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Brother you better know you are blessed and if she says she wants a PINK tender then you better simply ask her what shade as you are driving to the paint store !
    Jim
  6. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Well then let me recommend the Moonen 100' Explorer. Judy did the Review on it (Front page of YF) That's a serious live aboard!
  7. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Thanks for the girl advice...as incredible it seems to the gang here at YF I never had or will have a problem finding Women...I currently just don't have time for one. I'm at a place in my life that requires more work time than "me" time, more so than six months ago. I kind of enjoy being a bachelor, at least for the time being. Although last winter it got so cold here, I came this close to buying a Golden Retriever (just to stay warm Ralph....really)

Back to the subject at hand, Jim you need to look at a Real Ships in that length (55-65) they made(make?) a great boat and used a Sea Chest rather than through hulls. They were (are) steel hulled boats and extremely well laid out. If memory serves the Master Stateroom was down a few steps to port, and was more like a suite, King sized bed, a small kitchenette, a loveseat. Really a very nice space.
  8. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

I shall check it out !!
    Thaanks
  9. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56 I was only playing and trying to be silly.
  10. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56,
    I do agree this is a beautiful boat and you say you wanna fish.....when? With all that luxury I doubt you would ever make it to the back to fish.
    I think it would be a tad too much for the loop but wow it sure would be liven brother....
    Thanks that was awesome
    Jim
  11. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NYCAP123
    Hey in a post you spoke about better to buy a goodpre owned over having one built... I was wondering if you get a free moment or two if you could elaborate on this...I mean I have come to learn some things and have my thoughts on this and we have a used one in our sights but wanted to view your thoughtsas well.
    Thank You
    Have a great week end
    jim
  12. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Speaking of fishing.....would one need to get a licence for every state he went through ?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You know what happens the day you first take it off the dock. It's a lot worse than driving a new car off the lot. Depreciation on a new boat is huge, often 1/3 or more. Then you have what the first owner adds to the boat, everything from electronics to linnens and PFDs that the second owner basically gets for free. Finally there's the new boat bugs. The first owner gets to spend his boating time running the boat back to the dealer for warranty repairs. I was on a Carver for awhile that spent a huge amount of time in the shop. The shop was a 4 hour cruise away. That's 4 hours of fuel or over $400, in each direction, plus my salary, etc. etc., etc., not to mention the time the boat was in the shop eating up the summer cruising season. It was 3 years of misery with that boat, wondering if it would start today (and if it did, would we be able to shut it off without heading for the engine room. I've heard that the next owner loved the boat, because we spent 3 years getting right what Carver and Volvo failed to.
    Then consider how much use the average boat gets. A 3 year old boat will very often have less than 300 gentle hours on them, with motors that are good for a 2,000 to 5,000 hour lifespan before rebuild.
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And as Nycap argues for used, he also does make mention of the times new might make sense for others, so I'll present our reasoning for new.

First, we'll be the first to admit we just like new. We like being able to order it just as we want. We've never bought a used car or a used boat and don't plan to start now. Just personal preference. So now the reasons that does perhaps make sense for us.

We are a high volume user. When we were buying lake boats we lived on the lake and used them year round. Average year we used 90+ days a year, 400 hours a year. Now that we live on the coast and cruise extensively we put a lot of hours on. 2013 and 2014 we averaged 18,000 nm per year and 1,100 hours.

We maintain well and keep a long time. We've kept our average car 7 years while others average 3. We anticipate keeping our boats at least 10 years.

All the issues of new boats and warranty service others talk about is not an issue we've encountered and this is through the purchase now of 9 new boats. We select manufacturer/builder carefully, dealer or boatyard carefully and we've been very fortunate in doing so. We also do get surveys on new boats and don't take delivery with any known unresolved issues. Upon delivery we immediately make significant shakedown cruises and then immediately get any issues that arise during them fixed. Or that's the plan. In reality we have had virtually nothing arise during our shakedown cruises.

We do acknowledge there is financial advantage in purchasing used. But there is also the time and effort in getting the used boat to the status you want, whether that's refitting electronics, replacing a watermaker, or just getting new upholstery or counter tops because you don't like the colors of the old. Many purchasers of used boats spend months or even years with the boat at the dock or on dry dock before it's the boat they're ready to use. We are the type who would almost inevitable replace electronics either because of a brand preference or to update in the existing brand. So, while what the previous owner added is an advantage if you keep it, it's a disadvantage if you don't.

So we don't argue with Nycap's logic but we do choose to go a different path and are happy with our path. I also think the boat chosen plays a role. He uses a Carver with Volvo as an example. Well, unfortunately, Carver has not shown themselves to consistently deliver a trouble free boat and in many cases neither they nor the local dealer has provided the service necessary to quickly resolve the problems. While three years getting the problems fixed is on the worst side, one year or more is common. This also isn't a criticism of the boat one ends up with eventually. There are many happy owners of Carvers. It's just that their new boat quality assurance hasn't been a strength.

Boatyard used for service and to make any warranty corrections is critical. We don't look for the cheapest or the most convenient even, just the one we know we can depend on.

Then a final factor and that is we do have crew including engineer. They bring a tremendous knowledge and an ability to maintain in excellent shape. We use all manufacturer recommended schedules, parts and fluids. We use OEM parts. And in the purchase of the new boat, we do select equipment we feel has good service and repair history.

So you now have the admission from new boat junkies.

Oh an aside we are low users of autos now. Once were higher. So if you want a 12 year old sports car with 50,000 miles then see us in another 10 years or so.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely there are pros for buying new. The main one being that you get exactly what you want (at least that's the dream before the warranty repairs start). It also makes sense if you're the type of person to keep a boat for many years, but the average boater will be onto his next boat within 3 years. I remember when my attorney was thinking about moving up from a 38 to a 41 or 50. I recommended the 50 'as you'll be there soon if you're considering it now'. By going to the 50 he'd be avoiding another new boat depreciation and broker's fees, but they explained that they had a "5 year plan", and bought the 41 planning to keep it for 5 years. Within those 5 years they went from the 38 to the 41 to a 50 to a 68, making some brokers very happy.

Now if you're the type that wants new everything, that's fine as long as you understand the cost and that the day after you buy it, it's a used item. However, I learn a lesson from my dad as a kid and it still holds true today. Never by a used car, because you're buying someone else's headache. Cars have a short lifespan and get a lot of use. So people generally don't get rid of them unless they're a problem. But bikes, houses and boat's get so little wear and last so long that it's not worth the markup to buy new. That said though everyone is entitled to buy new if they want and can afford. Just different lifestyles.

P.S. For small boats I do recommend buying new, because they do get a lot of wear and abuse, and their price precludes a huge loss. On a $20,000 boat the most you could ever lose is $20,000, but on a $500.000 you could easily lose $200,000 and that's a lot of green with my wallet.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As to size there are two very divergent schools of thought. One says to buy the smallest you can get by with and the other says to buy the largest you can handle and afford or at least buy your second boat first. I have seen a lot of what you describe. It seems especially to run true with certain brands but to some degree with all. I've noticed Nordhavn purchasers always thinking about moving up and a tremendous percentage of their larger boats are sold to second time buyers. When we were researching we found an unusually high percentage of Westport 112 buyers then moved up to Westport 130's. You see some of that from the 130 to the 164 but not near the same percentage. Center console purchasers and sportfisherman purchasers seem to always be eyeing larger. Meanwhile I see a much larger percentage of trawler purchasers very happy to stay with the size they start with.

As to the cars getting a lot more use than the boats, certainly true with the vast majority of the population. We put about 9,000 miles a year on cars (4800 on three trips to NC per year) and 18,000 on boats. Now converting to engine hours, that's about 180 hours a year on cars vs 1100 hours on boats.

As an aside, we've never built a new house because we've been after location and others had already built in the locations we preferred.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"purchasers always thinking about moving up and a tremendous percentage of their larger boats are sold to second time buyers."

One company really understands the upsell and turn over. When your boat is 2 years old your told 'I can put you into a brand new one 5' bigger and it'll only cost you $10 more a month'. Great sales pitch. Then 2008 came and everybody on their 3rd or 4th turnover found out they were in huge upside-down situations.
  18. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Good Question !
    I checked out Florida and it says you need a salt water and fresh water fishing licence and if you are fishing in brackish water then you better have both.
  19. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NYCAP123,
    Yea those are good points as well. I had been doing some reading about new boats and all the time spent getting everything right in the first 50 hours and such. Pluss all the normal stuff you have to do with the extra filters catching loose stuff from the new tanks and so forth.

To us it all added up to alot more stuff to deal with then one really needs too. I mean in a good pre owned boat you do a few shake down cruises as you get used to the boat and check all the typical things like shaft seals and pumps etc. I figure that is a good time to simply replace any worn looking belts and hoses and filters and get on with your plans.

The up grades are huge too
    Thanks
    Jim
  20. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Olderboater Hi,
    Thanks for this new boat view as well.
    I have bought new before but as I have said before they were all deep V and out boards and not much for the need of a shake down cruise. I mean if it drives straight and no lisp and gets on plane easy then were good to go.

Ok so you have the loose clamp on a live well hose or a poor connection on your horn. No biggie, you just fix and fish on....One day perhaps we might go with a new boat. Being new to the cruise thing and full time live a boards, well a gently pre broken in boat will do fine.
    Now 6 months ago you wouldnot have heard those words from me but hey with knowledge and insight comes mind changes....

Sounds like you guys have quite the set up.
    Have a great week end
    Jim