Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Your Choice; 47-50m builder?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ladies choice, Jul 25, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Hello All,
    I am new to the forum, i stumbled upon this site while I was researching yachts of the 47-50m size, I have narrowed my choices down to Heesen, Neriedes & Sensation. The last two have a current yacht for sale right now , Heesen would be available in a year off the line.

Sweet Doll from Heesen is my favorite interior, I like the clean, fun Contemporary look If I choose a Heesen I would make a interior similar to Sweet doll. Having stateroom after stateroom is not my goal here and will probably remove many of the beds in lower staterooms and turn the space into something more usable, only to replace them upon sale in 5-10 years. One reason Sweet doll fits so well is she wasn't built with mulitple staterooms to sleep a dozen guests. The other two yachts listed are set already in thier interiors of course.

My question to all those in the know, is there a builder/ new construction that I perhaps have overlooked? Am I going to large for the first yacht I will have owned? I really don't want to wait 2 years for a total new build, finding something midway in production like Heesen has is attractive.

This yacht will be essentially my second home, I will not charter her and rarely entertain guests for a cruise, The intended purpose is for myself and my partner to get away from everything and travel the world 6-9 months a year with time off in summers for maintenance and crew rest.

Lastly, throw out some names for a woman owned yacht!

Thanks all!
  2. talkingstone

talkingstone New Member

Consider Christensen Shipyards Ltd.

:) My personal choice would be Christensen. They build a remarkable yacht, and the owners of the company will work with you to provide exactly what you want in a vessel. I personally know this to be a fact because a friend of mine worked with them and would not purchase any other yacht in todays market place. There may be one or two available at this time. Liquidity is a fine example of not only a beautiful yacht but also an example of a company using materials which are good for the enviroment. Take a look at their web site at http://www.christensenyachts.com., and let us know how your buying process goes. I beleive it would be of great interest to the fourm readers. By the way, YACHTFORUMS has a great review of Christensen's 157 Liquidity at: http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3129
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

45 - 50 mtr.

Hi,
    first, any of the builders like Heesen, Christensen, Oceanfast or other yard will build you the exact interior you like.
    This would be the cooperation with the interiour designer and yourself which leaves you with every yard available...:(

Well, good news is that you can objectively look at yards itself, prices etc. and incorporate the interiour designer into that choice.

Another option might be to look for an existing young ship (plenty on the market) and have the interiour made, the way you want it.

To give an impression of 45 - 50 mtr. yachts, have a look at this link;
    http://community.webshots.com/album/63037845rldfef

gr. erik
  4. Motoryacht

Motoryacht Member

Hi lady choice,

You might say we're in the same boat. I'm about to commission a new build too, but in the 43-45m range.

Heesen was at the top of a short list for me too, but I want something more traditional. The Christensen suggestion is also a good one, but this is a fiberglass boat and I'm going with aluminum. By the way, from what I've seen, the quality of Christensen might be the best out there.

A good name for a lady owned yacht? Intuition.

Good luck!
  5. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Thanks everyone for suggestions, I was told that the Christensen yacht isn't a world cruiser in that compared to a Heesen or the Ice Class Thetis by Neiredes the Christensen isn't up for long hauls on what could be some very rough oceans encountered. What is everyone's opinion on that?

I was looking at putting on a submarine as well, a triton 650, so that may play into what builder i use, I am also a big sailor so putting some sort of day sailor on board is a big plus, I looked at expedition style yachts but that look is too industrial for me.

Intuition is a good name suggestion, I have also kept "Perogative" in the running or something even more obscure as a number that means alot to my partner and I, though as of yet I haven't seen a yacht named a number solely.

Does anyone have more pictures of Sweet Doll that is beyond what Heesen has published? Or any other yacht with a like minded interior of her's that I can get some ideas from in designing mine?
  6. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Given the lenght ánd the amount of "toys" you'd like her to carry i doubt if that would be easy on a monohull.
    Something like the catamaran Moecca (i believe from Oceanfast) might be a better option; very good seakeeping, huge amount of space and certainly not industrial looking.
  7. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Did you look at this interiour designer?

Have a look at the Baron interior; seems to fit into your view.

http://www.egganddart.com/
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

9. YachtForums

If you can give me a little while, I'll upload the images from Sweet Doll. In the meantime, you may wish too browse the interiors of over 40 yachts that we have full feature reviews on, located here...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142
  10. YachtForums

I'm surprised anyone would say this. We've got pictures of Christensen's "Mystic" while she was in Alaska. To get there, you'll cross some of the most treacherous waters in the world, the Pacific Northwest. Here's the thread...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324

But, a better example of the strength Christensen builds into their hulls would be the following picture. This is Liquidity, literally suspended in animation from only two points, fore and aft... with NOTHING in between. :eek:

Attached Files:

11. talkingstone

talkingstone New Member

Thanks!

I have seen many pictures of Christensen's yachts and the one with Mystic and Liquidity in Alaska is great. I was getting a little ticked off when Christensen was slammed as a non-ocean going vessel. The company excels in design and construction and when you can work with the owners of the company to help you realize your dreams, there can be no better relationship between buyer and seller. Bigger is not better.
  12. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Not knowing Christensen that well, i still agree on material not being a problem.

In formula one (no that popular in the usa anymore i believe... :mad: ) but also in airplanes where strength and lightweight are wanted. No one would choose steel.
  13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I doubt that the toughness of fiberglass was ever in question. Just look at the beating offshore race boats take. Rather the reservations were about scaling up fiberglass techniques to very large yachts. But now even Delta is using this -

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3401

Which settled my mind anyhow. If this is good enough for Delta .....

Kelly Cook
  14. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I think Westport should be looked at as well. They have a 50m in production with a couple more boats on the way.
  15. Five Boat Owner

Five Boat Owner New Member

Ladies Choice wants a yacht that can cross an ocean. The Westport has no keel and is a go fast. I owned a Westport 130 and you'll want a keel for trailing seas.
  16. Five Boat Owner

Anyone that has gone through the build process a few times like I have, would learn that "custom" is "questionable". When the total specification is to your customized requests from scratch, it becomes completely custom to the people who are building it. After owning several yachts I have learned to look for the specifications I desire that a builder is used to constructing. If I want something with low maintenance, fast, reliable and purely a day cruiser and intercoastal traveling, I would choose a Westport (Equivalent of a Fiberglass Broward). If I want low maintenance, composite, lower speeds, 17 to 18 knot tops, reliable, quiet 40 to 50 DB throughout, ocean crossing, yet still shallow enough to get into 8' waterways I would choose a Christensen. From my experience, truly custom builders end up spending huge amounts on warranty trying to fix the bugs for years beyond delivery. This of course keeps me the owner from using my boat. And that is if they have the financial stability to do it. Westport and Christensen build all of their yachts on their money and sell them along the way. They really don't compete with eachother since they are targeting different classes of buyers. But think of the quality each must put in with respect to their specific package so that when a surveyor comes along like Patton Marine, he can't tear them apart. I know from experience, either spares no expense striving to be the best in their specific market. It would be too big of a risk getting the boat almost completed and then have someone knock the quality.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  17. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I hope i wasn't confusing the ocean crossing comment about Christensen with Broward? May have and if so my apologies! I have talked and have read about so many yachts now it is getting rather jumbled.

I looked at the Egg designers, too minimalist without any color, bland , bland, bland! Take a look at Sweet doll and you will see the fun and brightness i hope to achieve, or some cross between her and Yalla perhaps even. I am in my early 40's my partner is in her mid 30's, we will adopt a child one day and we want this yacht to reflect youthfullness and fun not some staid boardroom look that my grandfather would gravitate towards.

Again most of the layouts on so many yachts are set up to house 12 people or more in sleeping arrangements, this is just not our case, it will be no more then or 5-8 people in our party at any one time, including the 2 of us, and two to three bodyguards depending on where we travel will be on board at all times and travel on shore when we go to land.

I am hoping to have a staff of no more then 8 if that too is possible, a captain, 2-3 mates, engineer, chef, head housekeeper and her assistant hopefully will be adequate considering it is mostly for just the two of us on board, The security detail will most likely not cross train unless absolute necessary while underway.

Granted this is my first yacht in purchase, I though am giving it as much attention to detail and layout as if it will be my final build, which i hope it will be a yacht I will keep for 7-10 years or more even.

So far the Neireides Thetis is ideal for the "toys" we want to have, though until I see her interior in person I am unsure it will fit the "look" I would want yet. Layout wise the Heesen is tops there and has already done a layout in Sweet Doll that I havent been able to match on any other builders layouts.

What if anything is Known about Neriedes and the shipyards in Turkey? good and bad give it to me!

How about Sensation in NZ , they have a rather modern interior yacht on the market right now, what about thier quality? Any further pictures other then what is listed available on their current offering? I don't know the name of the yacht, other then it is something like 22million or so. The one currently on list of brokers sites.

I don't care about speed, I care about distance runs, longer the better, The Nieredes is a Ice class which seems attractive as well. Something quiet, comfortable on the long haul, easy enough to bring to most ports and used for 6-9 months continuously is what i am striving for, and again NEVER to be chartered!

I am not about to turn over the keys to my car much less then I would to my home or yacht! lol
  18. Five Boat Owner

Ladies Choice is looking for no more than a crew of eight. That means low maintenance, non metallic (non-corrosive) yachting. What 48m motorsailor out there has been built that operates and looks even decent with eight crew members? What steel or aluminium Feadship at 48M operates and looks good with eight crew members. I've owned two Feadships and Ladies Choice is alloting 3 to 4 months for maintenance per year. With a metal yacht that size, painting once every two to three years at way more than four months of down time, she is not going to get to go yachting her nine months per year. A composite yacht is stronger when done properly and one only has to paint every six years. All she needs to do is find one that can travel the world's oceans.
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Maybe trying to find the right yacht is hard enough without going into paint discussions, but I have had steel, aluminium and composite yachts and used the same paint on all with the same interval...
  20. Five Boat Owner

Paint? Yes, I agree paint isn't the only thing, however, considering that between 20,000 and 75,000 manhours goes into a complete bodywork and paint job, it is pertinent when trying to find the right builder. There is no glamour in having your 25 to 30 million dollar yacht being drydocked shortly after delivery for one year because the metal underneath is causing the fairing material to lift.
    I am not partial to any yacht, I own several. My point is, if one listens to Ladies Choice, I believe she is looking to find something that is refined, reliable, oceangoing, and carries plenty of toys along with operating with minimal crew thereby being maintenance friendly. A composite motoryacht fits the bill!
    Also, I think I read a desire for a submarine. I believe the next Christensen delivery, the owner has a three person submarine on it along with a multitude of other toys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.