Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Young yacht chef needs info...

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Lauraloo, Sep 16, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Lauraloo

Lauraloo Guest

Hello, My name is Laura. I am a chef. I would like to travel the world. That much I've got figured out, but how does one get started as a chef on a yacht? If there's anyone out there who has been there, please tell me all about it!

.....never eat more than you can lift.....
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Lauraloo,
    Firstly, you have to be where the boats are. Specifically- Florida at this time of the year. Get yourself to Ft. Lauderdale and find yourself a place to stay (there are crew houses which specialize in this business). Then obtain your STCW Basic Safety Training and you are ready to work.
    There are some more threads about this throughout this Forum so maybe the Admin will post the links ;) or you can do a search "getting a start in yachting".
    Best of luck.
    Ken

PS- If my wife were giving this advice she would tell you to find a captain and marry him (she's our chef). :D
  3. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

WELCOME to Yachtforums, Laura!

I see that you are a Pastry Chef.

Do you have experience as an All-Around Chef?
    How long have you been a chef?
    Do you specialize in certain types of cuisine?

These are some of the questions yachtowners will ask you.
    Most owners will hire only one chef to take care of -all- the cooking.
    And the more experience you have, the better chances of getting a job in the larger yachts.

You can use the -Search- function to find posts in this forum pertaining to your job search. Occationally, some agencies do post a requirement for a Chef too.

GOOD LUCK!
    Arnie
    :)
  4. Lauraloo

Lauraloo Guest

Wonderful! Thank you both for being so helpful.
  5. charleskwinter

charleskwinter New Member

Hi Lauraloo... looks like you are near seattle, my favorite big city. search for lacasse maritime. rita and the owner opporate out of the seattle area. they will give you advice and maybe even get you a job. tell them i referred you, and let me know if you have more questions! also, everyone will ask you if you have your STCW which is required... simple five day course on basic sea safty and survival, and you can probably do it in the seattle area. :)