Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Comfort

Yachting school?....

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by el_CAPeeTAN06, Dec 14, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. el_CAPeeTAN06

el_CAPeeTAN06 New Member

Hi all

I am persuing to become a yacht captain and I have no idea what type of schooling or degree I should get to increase my knowledge of yachting. What school would be best or is there a certain degree that will take me farther? Any advice on this subject would be fantastic.

Thanks

Reed
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Reed,
    Do you have any sea time? For any license you will need documented sea time ona vessel you want to get a ticket for. There are other threeads pertaining to this subject, so do a search and spend some time on the site. But for a short answer, get time on board, as mate deckhand, etc. Run smaller boats if that's available then move up. Go for your six-pack license (OUPV license) is a first step. You can pay a school like Seas School for the education and test, or sit for the test yourself at your local CG testing location. How old are you, since you have to be at least 18 to get your license.
    Good luck.
  3. el_CAPeeTAN06

el_CAPeeTAN06 New Member

Six pack or no six pack, that is the question

I have heard different things about the six-pack license; I've heard that it is a good first step but I've also heard that it doesn't get you much of anywhere. I think that it wouldn't hurt to get it because I'm going to do all the requirements anyway while working as a deckhand/mate.

Thanks CaptTom
  4. el_CAPeeTAN06

el_CAPeeTAN06 New Member

school first?

Quick question...

When I turn 18 should I go to a marine acadamey first or start working as a deckhand/mate for a year or two before attending college or on the contrary, should I enlist in the coastguard?

Please any advice would be grateful:)

Thanks.