Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

Yachting Constraints for a Master Itinerary

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by stevenpet, Jun 24, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

For the past few years, I've been collecting information on all the places that I would like to visit. At this point, it would be safe to say, that it's actually turned into a hobby and has fueled my interest in yachting. Now, after breaking up the world into 27 regions, and ranking them in order of my interest in visiting them, I'm trying to create a Master Itinerary for the next three years.

As an oversight on my part, I haven't been collecting the constraints to visiting those areas on a yacht. For example, when an area is closed to yachting due to the Tropical Cyclone Season and ice flows and when an area is uncomfortably cold or hot.

French Polynesia publishes an excellent large brochure, (sadly, only in French) about yachting to all their islands, which outlines what a layman like myself would need to know to plan a yacht visit. Unfortunately, no other country that I know of does the same.

The best resource that I’ve found so far is website, www.noonsite.com But it has been very hit and miss with the weather information that they offer. The weather websites that I’ve visited have excellent daily weather reports, but fail to provide seasonal weather information. I’ve searched Google under numerous search terms, but still only find limited useful information.

So, now I’ve come to you, the ever-so-helpful readers of yachtforums.com. What are some good resources for yachting seasons worldwide? Also, common global routes would be useful as well. What global cruising guides do you prefer over others? I’m not looking at this from a Captain’s perspective, nor am I planning all the details at this time, just a rough master itinerary, so too much information to wade through would be overkill.

Thank you for your help,
  2. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

What an excellent idea for a thread! I can see this turning into a valuable resource for yachtsmen and women all over the world.

You might want to have a look at the British Met Office website - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ It may look like they only cover UK weather but they offer worldwide services to seamen and pilots alike. It’s worth a browse.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cruising Guides to the various area's will give you a lot of the information you are seeking as well as best times and times to avoid......as well as websites like the American Great Loop one.......