Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Yacht purchase; New vs Used

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by highwinds, Dec 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highwinds

highwinds New Member

Looking to buy another boat last boat I bought New. I see prices for new yachts have gone up 4+ times since I bought the 40 ft searay (236,500) in 2001 the same boat I bought before is now 880,000 usd … so this time around I am looking at used yachts that are well maintained and I can purchase a 80 ft Lazzara with refurbished engines and new generators and 5 staterooms for that price. But if money is no problem then I guess buying new is an option for you. My hat goes off to you because you are that person that keeps this industry alive. Happy Boating!
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

A new Sea Ray is a whole lot more boat than you bought in 2001. Granted it may not be 3 1/2 times the boat, but there have been a lot of advances in 20 years.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In SeaRays??? Yea, Price advances...
    Pascal should chime in here to help on the 80 ft Lazzara.
    A whole different ship (Real) than a SeaRay.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out the point he was trying to make. Was it that prices have increased? Was it that a used Lazzara is the same price as a new Sea Ray? Was it that we all should buy used or to encourage new buyers? Ultimately, there is no question that buying used is financially more sound than buying new. That said, we only buy new, same with cars and boats. We do buy used houses. We like getting exactly what we want, not inheriting anyone else's problems, We like predictable costs covered under warranty. We like having years of a one owner boat. But we would never profess it makes financial sense. Of course, boat buying in general doesn't.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Agreed, Where is the question. It seems like some random post #1 about...?
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

He was just making a statement after a case of sticker shock. Thanking new boats owners for supplying us with used boats.
  7. olderboater

Then he's quite welcome.

I've never quite understood sticker shock people feel after 20 years or more.

I remember lake property and one particular lot was for sale for $100k. One person was lamenting how it was tempting but just too much and he remembered when he was a child his father could have bought it for $10k. I asked, "Why didn't he buy it?" Answer was he didn't have $10k. I then said "Well, you have $100k so are you going to buy it now?" He looked at me with something between a stare and confusion. He bought it and told his elderly father who was shocked at what he paid. They then invented a term, they called it "Family Economics" and said it terms of their family's real dollars the price had dropped over those years. The father commented that the second time it sold, it sold for $46k but with two kids in college, he couldn't pay that either. In fact, he decided that the reason his son could afford it today, was that he didn't spend on it, years ago, instead paying for his son's education.

I remember reading the quotes of the founders of the jeans businesses and one of the leaders even said as late as the 1960's that if the price of a pair of jeans at retail ever reached $10, that would be the end of the industry. No one would ever pay that for blue jeans. Now, most of us would quickly look at some women's designer jeans at $100 and $200 but mean are guilty too. Sak's has men's Gucci Jeans over $1000 now, so $50-60 for a pair of Levi Strauss isn't so bad.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I think the point is that the price of boats has drastically gone up in the last 20 years. I last shopped for a new boat in 1999/2000 and back then the average new 40/45 footer cost around $250k which translate to about $375 in 2019 dollars.

can you find a new 40 footer at that price?

someone said that boats offer a lot more than they did in 2000. I think that s debatable. Yes diesels have gotten cleaner with electronic controls along with generators but that doesn’t justify the price increases. Drivetrain haven’t changed much, except for Pods but still a majority of boats run the same shafts and wheels they did 30 years ago. Electronics? Yes but does the average boater really need a 72nm HD radar and 18” plotter?

For the average boater doing 100 hours a year with their new 45 footer depreciation alone over the first 3 years will add up to $500 AN HOUR!

now, with a booming economy and record setting stock market, the industry is doing pretty good but that can change overnight.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yeah, and thanks God for that!
    A boating mate of mine bought her boat brand new, with IPS, joystick, and all the bells and whistles.
    After some 600 hours, he's now green with envy when he looks at my plain vanilla shafts, whose maintenance over 1500+ hours costed me less than one of his yearly oil changes.
    Not to mention that he already had to strip the pods for replacing seals, friction and I can't even remember what else - all at silly prices... :(
  10. olderboater

Well, as it applies to new vs used, used prices have risen by somewhat similar rates to those of new prices. The ratio remains much the same.

However, I don't mean to make light of the challenge faced in buying boats. So, some further thought.

Now, here is the big negative for the industry as a whole. The top 5% earners have seen their incomes and worth grow even more than the cost of boats. The lower 35% of earners were never potential buyers. However, that percentage of those on the lower side has grown and is now more like 55% than 35%. And for those from the 55th percentile to the 75th or so, their buying power has decreased relative to inflation. The shrinking of the middle class including the upper middle class does have a profound impact on luxury purchasing. 150' yachts aren't impacted but from 20' to 80' sure is. The industry has responded the best they know how. You see that with the tremendous increase in the market share of outboards. Young families can't afford the Sea Rays that were so popular 20 years ago. Sea Ray tried to ignore that too long. Now those who do get into boating more often do so in outboards. While the tournament big game fisherman still can afford the finest sportfishing boats, the want to be fisherman no longer can afford SF's and so there you see the proliferation of CC's. However, CC builders better be careful. If they present the picture that a CC needs to be 40' or more and have at least 1200 hp, then they're going to turn a way a lot of their potential buyers.

A couple of quick numbers. In the last 40 years, looking at income, the middle class has decreased by 9% while the upper has increased 5% and the lower has increased by 4%. Even worse, since 2000, while the upper's income in today's dollars is up 2.3%, middle income is flat and lower income is down 5%. So, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and more of the middle find themselves moving lower on the scale.

The retail environment is largely influenced by Amazon and Walmart but focusing solely on them is misleading. There's a reason far beyond that for slippage in department stores while TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Dollar Stores are booming. Dollar Tree's target customer is upper middle class. Those in the middle are forced to look for bargains more.

So, to the OP's post, fewer people can afford new boats in the middle range. The Sea Ray Sundancer would be a prime example. Those buying Feadship or even Sunseeker aren't the ones impacted. Those getting custom SF's aren't, but the Cabo buyer sure was. The Grand Banks buyer was.

What the OP is feeling is very much reflective of what has taken place. No, the buyers for new Sundancer's are much fewer. The buyers for 26' Sterndrives are fewer. Boating in general is affordable for a smaller percentage of the population and that is sad to me. I grew up boating. When I was 13, my father bought me a 17' Sea Ray sterndrive while he had a 14' fishing boat. He paid around $12,000 for my boat. The smallest 2020 Sea Ray I/o is $39,000. My parents were middle to upper middle financially, certainly not wealthy. His equivalent today would not be able to buy my equivalent that boat. Even an 18' Glastron O/B is $27,000. Perhaps he could stretch to that or it would be used or it would be no boat at all.

The reduction in buying power of the middle class is very obvious when it comes to boats. Their buying power has increased less than 100% and the prices have increased more than 200%.

I'm in both manufacturing and retail and we see it throughout on quite a few products. Some boat builders have responded fairly well but many were slow and blind to what was taking place. Sea Ray sure was.
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes the ratio of earnings vs cost of goods is way out of wack from just one generation ago.

In 1968 my father earned about $30K per year. We had a very nice house that cost him $30K. He had a new Mercedes 230 SL that cost $7K. My Mom's 1968 Cadillac cost $6K. And we had a new 1968 Owens Brigantine sport fisher that cost $33K.

So the house, two cars, and the boat had a total cost of $76K ...or 2.5 years of my dad's $30K salary.

Today according to Zillow the house is worth $875K. A new SL is over $100K. A new Cadillac around $65K. And new 33' Sportfisher let's use $300K (which is closer to a used Pursuit than cost of a new flybridge sportfisher).

So now the house, two cars, and the boat have a total cost of $1.340M ...using the same ratio of 2.5 years salary you would need to earn $536K per year. Or 17.87 times what my dad earned in 1968 to have the equivalent lifestyle.

That's a cost multiplier of 17.87 in just one generation.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Back then your father's probably paid cash or had a short term loan. Today all that would probably be mortgaged to the max even at a higher income level. Not to mention the maintenance to keep everything up and running.
  13. olderboater

Two generations. 51 years, 1.7 generations.
  14. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

It appears that income inequality is in fact real. History tells us that if income inequality persists and gets bad enough that civil unrest will follow. Maybe this is outside the scope of this forum but I would enjoy you alls thoughts on why this situation exists and what can be done about it. I realize every generation looks back on the ones behind it and thinks that they don’t measure up. I employ young men and I feel that the younger generation has some quality hardworking honest people in it but, I do wonder if we as a society don’t work as hard as we used to yet expect all of the bells and whistles. I will confess to chasing a dollar my entire life but I am the first to admit that may not be the highest and best use of one’s life.
  15. RER

RER Senior Member

In the case of my father's and my age-for-age comparison, yes closer to 1.5 generations.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

I think my old man's mortgage payment was $125 per month. Left him with a relatively good amount of walking around money back then. lol.
  17. olderboater

You're right. Outside the scope of this forum. I'll be glad to discuss in private.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

true. Income inequality grew from the mid 2000s on for about 10 years but in the last 2 to 3 years things have change. Every stat shows that poverty is finally on the decline, unemployment at a record low, and income for low income and middle class is finally rising again.
  19. olderboater

Now, that's ancient times.

Interestingly, I think back to renting my first apartment in 1989 and rent was $700 or so per month. That apartment is now $1008 per month. I think of the house I rented in 1998. I paid $1300 per month and think it would likely be $1700-1800 now. Now, that's in NC and not lakefront. We bought a house on the lake in 2003 and sold it in 2012 for nearly double what we'd paid plus improvements. I look around in South Florida and waterfront has doubled and tripled but many areas only have small increases. When we hit the next recession you'll see a dramatic readjustment as we did in 2008.

Boats are dependent on petroleum and that is reflected in their cost increase.

The problem is that we all deal with different expenses, different costs.

I think one other thing is very important in the equation and that is saving. The majority of people are not able to save today. Therefore, they have no assets earning for them. We were able to save and we earned on that savings and that put us in better position, but we had two salaries, one very good, no kids, no major expenses such as medical, and an affordable home that was fully paid for. So, our net worth grew much faster than inflation. That's simply not something that is possible for most people.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, I think it's true. Look at the price of entry level boats. You have to make $100k just to be able to buy a 25' center console. Let's use a Boston Whaler outrage. They're $160-170k new, $3k a year to service it, $800 a month to keep it in a high and dry, plus insurance, plus boat payment. 10 years ago they were what $90k, dry storage was half...…..normal peoples income certainly has not doubled in the last 10 years.

Look at the owner situation.....no longer do you have your typical run of the mill doctor, lawyer, dentist, cpa, owning a yacht......whereas before that group had tons of 45' searays and similar
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.