Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Burger

Yacht Pics from Drones...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You might do well to invest in a new timepiece.

There was one a couple of hours before the one you just made in the rogues and ugly boats thread.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And one at 8 AM wanting a sailboat. Not many generally from 3 or 4 AM to 8 AM.
  3. g collis

g collis Member

I watched this some time ago on you tube. The amazing thing was that the FD was there and just letting it burn. I'd like to know the rest of this story.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That was an old video. There is a thread on YF that discussed it including your concern. The fire dept was just getting there and setting up control hoses.
    Unlike what you see on the news channels (the media arriving during or mostly after), understanding what your up against and planning a fire fighting attach takes some time. Lives (firefighters) are at risk and you just can not march up to a blaze with a water hose.
    If I recall, a welder set it off and nobody was injured.
    I also recall the thread moved on to chat about liability and who was going to pay for the loss (yard, welder or owner).
    Use these comments to search for the original post.

Continuing with this original thread, This IS another wonderful example of what these drones with cameras can do.
  5. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Yeah, sorry about that. I've had issues with them in the past. Everything seems to be running okay now.

On the yacht fire; I was cruising for that footage of the Costa Concordia when I came across that last video. It just seemed so strange to see a vessel pulled out of the water and on fire. I thought someone here might know more about it.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Ha, I haven't heard that phrase in a long time, thanks for the laugh.
  7. Seaduck

Seaduck New Member

Actually did just that off of Capri. 12 gauge semi auto..only took one shot.
  8. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    My pleasure :)
  9. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I'm getting pretty annoyed about all the regulations on drones here in the U.S. The 5 miles radius of airports/helipads is pretty ridiculous considering how many there are. For anyone familiar with San Diego, I would like to fly at Fiesta Island, which is 3 miles north of San Diego airport. Per FAA regulations, you must notify them that you are flying, and not requiring you get permission. I got permission once and then they keep saying I can't fly because no one is allowed to fly within 5 miles of the airport. I'm all for Saftey but if a plane is flying out of the flight path of a single runway airport at an AGL of 400', there is more things to be worried about that a quad flying. Additionally, there is a small runway south of Fiesta Island for model aircraft to use for their flights. I'd surmise to say that it wouldn't have gotten approval to be built if it was considered a risk. I appologize for the rant but it is getting pretty ridiculous for those abiding by the law whereas the problems will come from those who do not.
  10. chesapeake46

11. jfm

jfm New Member

Here are a few random amateur vids from a phantom 3 drone. All shot with the drone at <100 feet, which is the rule to follow at least here in Europe (afaik) if you want to be sure of not getting into trouble with airport authorities

first one, Mallorca nr cala d'or, Squadron 65, Sq 58, Princess/Viking 57, Squadron 78, GL Watson custom

Squadron 78, Antibes, with some underwater lights/girls swimming 2nd half

Fireworks, new years 1.1.2016, Cannes, France

Underwater lights
  12. FeBo

FeBo New Member

Opsss!!!

13. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

A friend and I ran my boat from Sturgeon Bay WI to Milwaukee last weekend. He brought his Phantom 4 and shot some video on the way out...
  14. chesapeake46

That's cool.
    Drones will put Boatpics out of business !
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm doing a sea trial tomorrow and planned to bring an aerial videographer with me. The marketing director was told it's illegal to fly a drone from a moving object. This is the first time I've heard this.

Any wisdom out there?
  16. German Yachting

I'd have to check but that's inconsistent with my understanding.
  17. YachtForums

Just off the phone with a friend who head's up Florida Power & Light's drone division. As mandated by the FAA for commercial use, he also has a fixed wing license. He confirmed that flying a drone from a moving object is deemed illegal by the FAA. I suppose there are many ill-conceived reasons, but the first that comes to mind is if the drone loses radio signal and attempts to return to the initial GPS coordinates, only to find its launch platform MIA.

Bummer.
  18. German Yachting

I'd be interested in seeing where that regulation is in writing. I feel it's a pretty common drone use.
  19. YachtForums

Agreed. I'm sure the FAA wants the public to think they're erring on the side of safety, but to me it looks more like special interest groups don't want their multi-million dollar fleets, FBOs and all the people they employ to become relics of the past.
  20. German Yachting

I searched and couldn't find anything readily available. I don't really believe that there is a regulation against that, especially at sea. I'd honestly go for it. The worst case would be the FAA saying take down the video and then you could get a citation source for the code. I really don't think it's against FAA regulations, it would have come up many times by now.