Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Yacht Pics from Drones...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

With the proliferation of multi-rotors (drones) and the unique perspective they bring to our digital world, I thought a thread featuring drone-based yacht shots might encourage a few lurkers to log-in. I'm seeing more and more multi's as an integral component onboard yachts, whether it be for reconnaissance or entertainment.

The front page of the local news had a top-down shot of a 66' Spencer Sportfish. The article was about the 36th Annual Pelican Yacht Club Billfish Invitational; not the subject of this thread. For those who have some aerial shots to share, here's your thread...

***​

Attached Files:

2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Wow, the last time I got a shot of my boat like that I had to climb a 65 foot mast.....
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

No more Boat Pix?
    Annoying flies in the skys.
  4. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I'll be getting a quad soon. I don't think I'll go over top for privacy and liability sake but I'll post some future content when it comes in.
  5. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Just make sure that when you get a quad you "Register" it with the Gov't. Registration is no more than Name, Address, City, State, Zip and oh yeah - Give me your CC# so we can charge you five bucks! I did it and they assigned a Reg# to my drone.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hopefully you remembered to use the name/address of your pesky neighbor & not your own.
  7. German Yachting

I have another that I registered. There are actually some people that posted their registration publicly. Might as well write that on my quad and they can assume liability. The whole process is somewhat ridiculous. Law abiding people are going to have to call several airports and they aren't the people causing problems. The ones causing problems won't register it in the first place.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, no problem here,, hang on,,,
    PULL,,, bang, bang, bang,,
    Got it,,
    Oh, thought that was my skeet.

Luv the technology. Luv model R/C airplanes.
    Anything hovering over my boat will be considered a threat. It will be splashed.

Technology can be fun in your back yard. My air space is an invasion.

Yes, in my younger years I did some stupid things with a camera. Thought about it and trashed the pictures, Grew up and moved on with a correct manor.
    If you can afford one of these better units, you should have learned (like I), the privacy of others may be weighed pretty heavy, with bird/buck shot.

Oh, Saiga with a few drums......

You spent big bux on your new thingy toy. Have fun and enjoy. I do admire you.

Please respect others.
  9. German Yachting

I will respect others, I am a naval fan, what can I say? I guess what I'd like to do is get a shot as though I had a boat to go around a vessel for a shot. How much of a difference is that from everyone taking shots of them at the dock?
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

For us, When were tied to a dock, were also tied to traffic, offices, retail. Sadly, under more cameras than I would want to think about.
    It's near impossible to scratch your asp without some camera picking it up.

When we are away from the dock, our romance is away from all those privacy invading people and cameras. To relax and escape is what our lil ship offers and it is greatly valued.

I remember the first time that real helicopter (yacht pix) buzzed us many years ago. Realized it was not law enforcement but an invasion then.
    Most of his pictures included my international hand sign language.

Ah, our lil ship is old and not to photogenic anyway. If you do take a pic of us on the dock, you too may capture some asp scratching.
  11. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

I actually use the drone for work. I fly it next to boats that are under power that we have for sale. Works really well.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am a fan. Real-estate and yacht sales may have a real tool to help their trade.
    Just respect the house or boat near by that is not on your sales list.
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Not too long ago a fellow heard/saw a drone over his neighborhood and then over his back yard where his teenage daughter was sunning. He shot it down.
    After a bit, a couple guys came to his house accusing him of the shooting. He sorta said there would be another shooting if they came on his property.
    The father got locked up for discharging a weapon in city limits or something like that.
    The fliers got their lame duck back. I do not recall if Dad had to pay damages or not.
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I'm with rcrapps, if you don't have a legitimate reason to be over my boat you don't belong there. These drones operators will be making some interesting privacy law soon, I suspect.
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

So how are the new FAA regulations concerning commercial drone use going to affect you?
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Got it,,
    Oh, thought that was another skeet.
  17. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

Let's see if we can draw a few lurkers with something more than dialog:
    Drone shots have a way of introducing the never before witnessed.
    A in Portofino 11.7.2015
  18. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

To me, that's an invasion of their privacy that I find offensive. I don't understand the need that people have to see things they haven't been invited to see. The shots from a reasonable distance were one thing but I draw the line when they fly in the space directly over the boat.
  19. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Got it,,
    Oh, thought that was another skeet.

Sorry about that. Had to post it (again).
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016