Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Cross

Yacht Owner Arrested in STT

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by CaptPKilbride, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, it is. And for the Captain to turn him into authorities is courageous. There are a lot of things like this that take place on yachts between owners, crew, and guests. Taxi is a twist though.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Can't cough up 100K after all that......
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not sure how you can rape a crew member during a taxi ride.
    The cabbie would have known, stopped the ride and stopped the assault.
    St. Thomas was my home town back in the 80s, not much quality control there, but taxi van drivers were as alert as anywhere, I guess.
  5. CaptPKilbride

+1 on the courage of the captain on doing the right thing. Points to a good leader who cares about the crew he leads, even when it may end up being to his detriment.
  6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

At the end of the day the only one you answer to is the man in the mirror.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I still can't figure out how you could rape someone in a taxi cab.
  8. olderboater

Rape doesn't have to be full intercourse. Lots of things can go on in the back seat of a taxi and most drivers are trained to look the other way. My wife and I might have done things in them that would have been illegal if not consensual. Rapists don't need a lot of space or freedom to force their way. We've talked to and heard of way too many cases where men of power took advantage of women in places and circumstances you wouldn't have thought possible. Cars, limos, stock rooms, restrooms. Every female should be taught, not martial arts, but self defense designed just for such circumstances. They're caught unprepared to react quickly and harshly, unlike a recent case I know where a business owner pulls it out and orders the girl to perform oral sex and she twists it so hard it requires and EMT and then hospitalization for a week. But that is the situation where you have one chance only and it requires swift action.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not so sure about that: I drove cabs at night back in the old country to pay for flight school and before and in between flying jobs, 5 years all together and a few hundred thousand miles on city streets.
    If anything not consensual should happen in the back seat I would stop immediately, throw out the offender and take the Lady home.
    We also had radios and could call the police, but ended up just driving to the police station at high speed if needed.

St.Thomas had big taxi vans before, not sure if they have regular sedan type cabs theses days, but in the far back seat of a Taxi van the driver may not be aware of what is going on unless the victim screams. Then the driver should stop immediately and render assistance.
  10. olderboater

One thing to keep in mind is that if this happened, it wasn't his first time. Just bolder. The fact the captain believed it makes one think the captain may also have known some history.
  11. CaptPKilbride

Almost every taxi in STT is a big van, it maximizes the income stream when the charge is per head.
    What if the victim were unable to scream, was incapacitated, or unable to resist advances because of alcohol, drugs, a mix of the two, or the victim was drugged without their knowledge.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, what if.
    Poor victim.
    Of course she could have been incapacitated or unable to resist.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah we don’t know what happened. Not defending the s- - -bag but maybe it was a case of alcohol induced lapse of judgment followed by buyers remorse. Who knows. That said for the captain to turn in the boss the evidence must have been overwhelming. Along with with a probable history of questionable behavior.
  14. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

St. Thomas has a load of those Safari Vans, which have the outdoor bench seats and the driver inside the cab. They operate as taxis.
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, the driver would have no clue if the creep raped a young stew in the back.

5AD3E3B4-7692-4F0A-B868-B3ADCAB3D5C5.jpeg
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

History has nothing to do with it. Being a captain has nothing to do with it. If a crime is reported by a subordinate it gets reported to the authorities for them to sort out. Period. Otherwise you're complicit. And yes rape does not require completing the act. In fact it very often doesn't. It's about power and force, not sex.
  17. MYTraveler

MYTraveler Member

My daughters each took a semester-long class like that at their all-girls high school. They got to practice on a guy dressed up on one of those uniforms used to train attack dogs. They were encouraged to go full force during their practices. Each has developed complete skill and confidence not to be an easy victim. One of their classmates, unfortunately, had occasion to use the training. The attacker had to be hospitalized, under arrest, due to gouged eyes and a collapsed trachea. The girl was fine. I, too, highly recommend that training.
    jeduardo and CaptPKilbride like this.
  18. MYTraveler

MYTraveler Member

I am not sure of the Virgin Islands, but in most, if not all, US jurisdictions, some penetration of something somewhere is required to meet an essential element of the crime.
  19. olderboater

We don't know the specific charges but oral and insertion of other than sexual organ can suffice in many jurisdictions for lower levels.

I do know the Virgin Islands have a position of authority section on consent, which would certainly work against the accused as it does include bosses and employers.

We'll just all have to sit back and let it play out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.