Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Yacht Mission Profile

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by R99, Nov 20, 2007.

1. R99

R99 New Member

Hi ,

I’m studying Nav Arch and I’m figuring on making a submission to designer of the year competition.
    I‘m also hoping some of you clued up superyacht type people might be able to give me some assistance.

To start with:
    I am trying to work up a mission profile. Basic requirement is for 12 guests, capable for use in Caribbean and Med and able to charter. I am thinking along the lines of ‘explorer type vessel’ (around 75 m) –yes I realise Caribbean and Med are not exactly ‘explorer’ destinations. I figure if the vessel is at least suitable for Med and Caribbean yachting and can cross the Atlantic on its own bottom, then it is not a big jump for it to go just about anywhere.

So, for a 12 month cycle:
    (not necessarily in order)

1 month refit
    2 months in transit
    5 months Med. Yachting
    4 months Caribbean Yachting
    or 9 months intermittent exploring

For a charter cycle, ( typical charter 7 days):
    (not necessarily in order)

1.5 days transit
    4 days anchored, ‘yachting’ generally poking about
    1.5 days in port
    Followed by a 1 day turn around

Are these numbers about right?

Secondly:
    Requirements of the Med. And Caribbean:

Besides stern-to berthing, a maximum draft of 4.5m for port entry is about the only restriction I have, am I missing something?
    If a vessel by its nature had an unavoidable draft of 5 –6m would that exclude it from being a feasible charter yacht because it could not enter many ports?

Finally (for now…):
    With regards to range –
    What is the minimum range for an Atlantic crossing – ie between respectable bunkering ports? Yes I also realise ‘hardcore explorer’ and ‘minimum range’ don’t fit together…

Anyway, thanks a lot for any thoughts on this.
    Rob
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, the more conservative figures for charter yachts in those waters are to keep the length under 50 meter, the draft less than 3,5 meter and expect no more than 12 weeks of charter each season. Transatlantic range is considered to be 3.500 Nm +.
  3. R99

R99 New Member

Thanks for your reply AMG,

I had to go back to the drawing board. <50m and <3.5m draft while still maintaining 12 guests changes things a bit. :eek:

I note that larger sailing yachts with lengths of 30 - 40m have drafts of 4-5 m. Clearly some or all of these vessels will be chartered, and a competition requirement is "able to be chartered" these two points led me to the 4.5 metre draft restriction.

More numbers to look at:

Deck to deck spacing of 2.3m with headroom of 2.1 (could I get away with less than 2.1 headroom)?

Trying to do something "different from any other yacht" IS indeed challenging...

anyway, thanks again for your help
    back to the grindstone.

Rob
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There is always a greater challenge to make a smaller design! Perhaps you should just have five cabins, one owners, two with double beds and two twin bedded with extra pullmans.

Below deck you could limit the headroom to 2 meters in the guest cabins, main deck and above 2,1 - 2,3 m is better.

The draft on sailing boats is often reduced by retractable keels to float over the reefs in the Caribbean.

I think you should not try to be different from other yachts, only better!

Good luck!
  5. PFJW

PFJW New Member

The mission profile is an aspect of the design and usage that I had not really considered, something else to think about I suppose...

The only problem I have with the brief is idea of a low "carbon footprint".

Aside from the use of the word "carbon" instead of "carbon dioxide" (would they say "oxygen" instead of "water"?), the only response I have had from various people is: don't bother.

I suppose the build contract could state that the yard must insist its work staff cycle to work, or follow Samar's lead and get as many plants on deck as possible.

As problematic as "climate change" may or may not be, I don't think the answer will be environmentally-minded super yachts.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I know you are trying to be different than any other yacht, but take a look at our layout http://www.CurtC.com (roll your mouse over the layout for photos of each room) and look at our 3 identical guest cabins. They each have a queen size bunk (for couples) and a twin (for non-couples sharing a cabin) plus a pullman over the twin (kids). This makes us extremely versatile.
    Good Luck,
    Ken
  7. 84far

84far Senior Member

hi

i know this is an old thread, but i was wondering if i can further this discussion? im also doing the same competition but finding the 50m mark a little to small... draft is fine, just the length and fitting everything in.

i went to the link that Ken Bracewell has on his post and realised that Rena is running 7 crew for a 44.5m vessel. which brings a question to u Ken Bracewell, if u are still there, correct me if im wrong but if u had a full boat (guest/crew) u would have enough room to bunk 25 people(please correct if wrong)? the compitition specs were after 12 guest AND appropriate crew. ideas anyone?

Recreational Facilities, (im using Rena as a bench mark for the 50m range) the boat carries 1 RIB and 2 Jetskis on the top deck, but will this effect guest lounging/pool space? ideas anyone?

My design specs (ATM): Length - 85m
    Beam - 16m
    Draft - 3.5m (not including prop)

The boat will have one level dedicated to the owner (which i feel would be appropriate for the size of the boat) - i have used Alfa Nero/Anastasia as a bench mark for this size vessel (as what a boat needs eg, tenders, jetskis, dinning areas, pools, etc). but the vessel will resemble Silver in volume size?

Carbon Footprint, i was thinking reusable energy. maybe try and get a KERS device in there, maybe run it off a the motors some how, and using LEDs. ideas anyone?

far
  8. 84far

84far Senior Member

more boat info:

5 levels - (top) fly bridge - (under) helm, bar, dinning - (under) owner's level, deck, dinning - (under) main level, VIP rooms x 4, dinning, gym, back deck - (under) bottom level, crews living/guest cabins, motors, tender bay.

far
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You are limited by current yacht regs to 12 paying passengers.

At 85m x 16m you will be going some to get it 3.5m deep in the water without adding so much volume that it exceeds 3000 GRT and is no longer a yacht.
  10. SAB

SAB New Member

'Ethereal' and 'Ice' bothered, so did Mochi with their Long Range 23m... just to name a few, and these were conceived a few years ago now. The RINA Green Star certification gives some clues to where 'bothering' might be heading.
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

hi

K1W1, im not sure i follow you. are u saying theres a limit on the tonnage? as in u reach a certain weight and the classification changes, thus effecting weather or not the boat can be charted or not..?
    these size boats are all very new to me, please excuse my lack of knowledge. i started this comp in december. thanks for the help

far
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Once you get over 3000 Tons there is a huge shift in what you need to comply with for construction, manning and operation.

Yacht Certificates for Captains are limited to 3000 tons, after this you need full commercial tickets for Deck and Engineering Officers up to what is required to satisfy the Safe Manning Document.

There is presently no route for anyone holding a yacht ticket to upgrade to anything that can be used on one of these boats.

Boats over 3000 Tons can still either be privately or commercially registered and can charter. It makes no difference to the manning requirements.
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

hi

K1W1, thanks for the help. so what your saying is the boat can still be 3000+ but the costs and legalities are going to sky rocket.

M/Y Rena is 44m - 334 GRT... so basically if i aim around the 50m mark i will accomplish what i am after, but without the extra cost of construction, manning and operation etc, etc.

thanks for your time K1W1.

far
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Keep your project under 500 GRT and you are laughing all the way to the bank.
  15. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

For the guys above starting out with design projects....
    It reads as though there's confusion between displacement (how heavy the vessel is and therefore how much seawater it displaces), and Registered Tonnage ?. Registered tonnage is a 'cargo carrying' calculation that uses internal volume multiplied by a factor according to the Registered Tonnage legislation applicable.
    Look Gross Registered Tonnage and Registered Tonnage up on the net.
    As an example, a 35m Tri-Deck yacht could be 190 tonnes displacement (weight) but around the 350 Registered Tonnes mark.
    A 45m Tri-Deck yacht could be 300 tonnes displacement (weight) but around the 500 Registered Tonnes mark.
    An 80m Tri-Deck yacht could be only 1800 tonnes displacement (weight) but could get close to 3000 Registered Tonnes depending on internal volume.
    In simple terms, rules governing the design of systems / machinery / fire safety / qualifications of captains etc etc get more onerous as you move up through various levels of Gross Tonnage class.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I apologise if my previous posts have been ambiguous.

The Tonnage I refer to in my posts is nothing to do with how much the boat weighs ( as explained by CODOG above) It is purely a volumetric measurement.

It is this measurement that governs construction, operation and costs levels and standards/requirements.
  17. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi

ahhh, looks like the penny has dropped... sorry for my incompetance. i was thinking the figures were looking a bit odd. thanks for clearing it up. it still looks like im in the same boat, so i need to re-think my plans and down size in volume.

K1W1, CODOG very appreciative of your efforts, thank you

far