Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Yacht Listings - No Crew Cabin Pics?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yachtguymke, Dec 31, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cthulhu

Cthulhu New Member

I hope that this is the right thread to ask this question:

Is there a good place to go for pics/schematics of crew spaces from new(er) builders?

I crawled through the hawsepipe on a 1939 motoryacht. We have a new owner, and I'm the only original crew that is left. I have a stateroom forward, but if the owner ever wants to go on an overnight--or take overnight guests, there is no room for a deckhand/steward/cook.

I'm trying to retrofit my cabin into a four-person, then repurpose my tool room into a captain's stateroom.

Would any of the big companies that I see in Yachts magazines give me the time of day if I asked for pics or more details?

Apologies is I'm disrupting the flow or hijacking the thread.
  2. stevenpet

stevenpet New Member

I would recommend spending time at the Yach Council website. There are a lot of boats of all shapes and sizes and almost all of them include a general layout and there are several that include pics of the crew quarters.

When I've asked for pics or additional information, about half the time, I don't get a reply and those that do reply take a week or so.
  3. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

What a considerate Purchaser: When you have good crew quarters you will have a good competent happy crew. So do you need crew...
  4. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

Either way charter or private owner, the Boat Needs the crew to exist and travel. This all should be looked at in new perspective more often.
  5. Here are some pictures of the crew quarters on one of my listings for sale. I will not mention which yacht so as to not make this a prohibited commercial posting!
    The pictures are of the crew lounge and the captain's cabin and captain's private head.

Attached Files:

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I can tell you that's no 62' Fairline. That's proper.:)
  7. Cthulhu

Cthulhu New Member

YBG:

Thanks for the pics. Am hoping that I can change our tool room into a nice s/r like that for myself, but then I'll not have anywhere to work (i.e. clean brushes, disassemble recalcitrant pumps, &tc.)
    For years I thought that our crew area--which is unfinished--was quite voluminous, but once I drew a floor plan with a standard sink and tried to fit in a day head, the space instantly shrank.

Do you mind if I copy that pic & add to my wish list?
  8. Cthulhu,
    Feel free to copy them, I took them so there is no copyright concern.
  9. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

What's wrong with this picture?
    a. To many people lived in this?

b. Bad idea from the start.

c. Is this the crew mess or a jail.

Attached Files:

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Is that ladder under the slicker to the emergency hatch or is that the normal way in/out? Kind of looks like it was modeled after this (except this is the captain's quarters. Crew mess is the sandwich in your pocket): 347.JPG

348.JPG
  11. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

It's all good if as long as people get along under pressure to get on deck in a hurry around 4 people making their own meals. I could bear the worst living quarters for the right rate. And make the best of it. I am not alone on this but better quarters better crew.
  12. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

The ladder under the slicker in mine is the to the swim deck....just lives there..
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Whilst I don't disagree with this statement in principle my experience in the last few years leads me to believe that this is no longer the case.

In my position I see a lot of crew coming to new boats, the big concerns seem to be single cabins, broadband internet, rotation, money.

This covers the whole board from the newset deckie to the oldest engineering staff, I agree with a few extra privileges for senior crew but get annoyed when newbies want to start at the top.

This is one thing that will change for sure with the tightening of the belts going on now.

I have worked on sail and power boats from 50' up so have a reasonable experience of small crew spaces, the two most recent photos do not look like places I would be rushing to unroll my swag.
  14. StarDecky

StarDecky New Member

To be closer to the original subject, Yacht scouts should think about the advantages and disadvantages of forward/Aft Crew quarters.
    If the owners are not very crew friendly I would say Fwd crew birth's is the best situation.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I find it hard to visualize aft crew accom on most of the boats people who come here are familiar with. There just isn't the space.

There is a 50m yacht out there that has a midship engine room and the crew accom is aft of this, it makes for a much smoother ocean passage when the boat is in a head sea and would normally be slamming and the occupants of the fwd cabins would be scattered all over the boat trying to get some un disturbed rest.