Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Yacht interior murals

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by galimo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. galimo

galimo New Member

Hi,
    I'm an artist formerly with Warner Bros. Scenic Arts Studio and Jeff Koons Studios in Manhattan. I've painted a number of high end, high profile public and residential murals. I want to break into painting murals on mega yachts and I'm looking for direction on how to pursue this. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    Thanks
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you have a verifiable history of successful works for well known individuals then maybe you will be best served by contacting the Interior Designers offering an example of your work.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Murals on yachts do not work. Trompe d'oeil is the preferred medium.

K1W1 will know of some large works we had to fit to a large boat, very nerve-racking at the time, but looked great.

On one Bennetti we had an aft-deck floor covering that was hand-painted on canvas and coated in a waterproof laminate, very high tech for the '80s, non slip and lasted. It could be lifted from the teak deck for washdown and its shell and beach theme was so welcoming for charter guests. I still wonder why it never caught on?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi Fish,

I remember the second build I did ( later went round the world on it as Chief Engineer)

There were Bronze Murals that arrived with an Artists Weight of 40kg but a shippers and receivers of 400kg.

These arrived about a week before the launching and all provision to support them had been made for 40 kg, the Skipper who you know had to sign a release for any damage caused by the failure of the mounting before the yard would Sikaflex them to the plywood wall.

We were in some huge head seas and massive rolls chasing large fish in the next 3.5 yrs and never was there a peep out of these murals- Sikaflex Rules.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think we all have stories of stupid interior design cock-ups.

The well known one of the large white grand piano chasing 8 crew around the saloon, the leather deckhead panels that were velcroed up but fell down at the slightest sniff of weather.

On Katalina 1 & 11 we had the owners' treasured carved dolphins. These brutes were great big lumps of coloured crystal with eyes of diamond and fins so fine and delicate, even sneezing near them made the sodding things fall off. They lived on a nice big polished dinner table. Can you see where the story is going?

So many gallons of superglue were spent on them I should have had shares. I had no fingerprints left I could have been a cat-burgler. All I wanted to do was drill a hole under the table and try to run a tap into the crystal.

Now the Old Boy has passed away, I still cannot tell you how much his wife spent having them repaired. Outragous!
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am aware who the first Owners of both K's was but was aware that there was a 3rd that was never launched as K, this is the one I imagine you spent your winter in Glukstadt on.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Oh yeah, spending the winter with the Stazi and the KGB was such fun. Right up there with Glustuk.
  8. galimo

galimo New Member

For some reason, I haven't had much luck finding interior designers who specifically design for yachts, except a few small ones who don't work on the really large yachts. I did send an email to Patrick Knowles Design but haven't heard back yet. I've done large projects such as all the faux wood at the William Randolph Hearst (West Coast White House) in Hillsborough, Ca. and the Utah governments Red Cliffs Desert Reserve mural, but none of my contacts have any yacht connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  9. frdemmer

frdemmer New Member

'Muralizing;. . .'

'Have had some previous efforts at this, and there seem to be 2 (two) portals to this sort of an artistic venture. You could do the low-tech version and go to the Marina directors of a Marina that has a LOT of yacht tonnage. Have a portfolio, CD or the graphics, web addy and so on ready. Then, pitch the idea to them. They usually have some input. Secondly, you would go directly to the yacht mfr. themselves. These are very cozee jobs, so you have to remember that you'd be talking about displacing somebody. But possibly there's been a recent vacate at their studio. As with the craftier strategy, you'd need the port, CD and so on. But the advantage would be that you would know the exact dimensions and locations. Actually, consider that most 'Art' on these vessels has been of the 3-D sort; carvings, sculptings, figurines and castings. And that's because of the environs factor; lots of humidity and sodium chloride that could discolor certain pigments.:cool: '