Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta

Yacht Handling Classes or Instuction--Southwest Florida

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by sean950054, Dec 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sean950054

sean950054 New Member

I will be moving down to Marco Island at the first of the year and I didn't know if there was a class or individual with who I could take some instructional yacht handling, understanding electronics and navigation classes with or from.

Thank you.
  2. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

RU power or sail?
  5. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I have to agree with Capt. Bill I know a couple of people that used them and are well satisfied. Don't know anything about them myself nor have anything to do with them only know two couples that went there and all four people were satisfied with the experience.
  6. sean950054

sean950054 New Member

Power Boat

I will be getting a power boat first and then most likely a small sail or catamaran in the future.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Since you have a desire to go sail I'd suggest going out on as many sails as possible even if buying power. It will give you a feel for dealing with current & wind, especially when docking. If you can deal with it under sail or on a small single motor, The power and control of a twin screw will be a cinch. A basic boating course such as given by the USPS or USCG Aux. should be your first step though. BTW, I'm not in favor of the on-line courses. Boring and you miss the instructor's experience. Get signed up, and involve the whole family. You didn't mention the size you're considering, but if it's under 35' I would usually have you proficient in 1 to 3 three hour lessons (Just as an example of what to expect as I don't operate in your area). Experience will of course be your best teacher, plus your area has a fair amount of shallows so get out on other's boats as often as possible to gain 'local knowledge'. Good luck.