Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

Yacht Captain Questions...

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by boatingetc, Mar 3, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

For the past 7 years I've dreamed of being a yacht captain. Now I'm in my senior year of high school and next year I'm planning on joining the US Coast Guard. After my four years or so in the USCG I'd like to attend Mass Maritime Academy. One of my questions is, do any of you know anything about this school? Do you think it is a good school? Do you have any recomendations of other good schools throughout the USA? Also, what type of knowledge and work will I be going through to become a captain of a personal yacht between 150 and 300 feet? I understand it is alot of hard work, but for a job like this, I'm willing to do anything.

I hope to hear some reply's and thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to this.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Breaking Into The Business

Hello Boatingetc,

While I very much respect the men who protect our coastline (and stand-by to save our rear ends on occasion) I am not sure that I would recommend that you dedicate four years of your life to their service. When I am perusing resumes for potential candidates on my boat, I am generally a bit skeptical of ex-Coasties. Before anyone jumps down my throat please give me a chance to explain. I have hired a number of Coast Guard alumni over the years and have generally found them to be very good workers in the field for which I hired them. That being said, working on a yacht is a career which requires a great deal of flexibility and cross training (I can't tell you how many dishes I have washed or how often I have had to help serve meals). From what I have seen the USCG does not operate that way, and most of the crew I have hired from them had a difficult time making the transition.

On to Mass. Maritime; there have been a number of polls out over the last couple of years showing that the majority of yacht crew has some level of higher education. I think this trend will continue and the future will bring an industry full of college graduates. I think that college prepares you for not only the tasks that will encounter in the industry, but also for general life away from the parental nest. If you are sure that the yachting life is for you then Mass. Maritime might be a good choice. Not having attended such an institute, I can't be sure but I think that you would accumulate sea service time for most of your time in school (see USCG policy letter 09-01 from April 2001 http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/index.htm click on the "Merchant Marine Info" link and then "Policy and Guidance" then look for 2001).

Now onto the practical side of things. Being a yacht captain is much like being a hotel manager! You must become good at anticipating the needs of your guests and providing them with excellent service. That may sound easy, but most of our guests are extremely wealthy and are used to spending time in the nicest resorts with the best service. Since yachting is a dream industry, we have to surpass that service. Our goal is to provide our guests with everything they want before they even know that they want it.
    Boatingetc, it basically boils down to the fact that this is an industry comprised of over-achievers including the owners captains, deckhands and stewardesses. If you fit into this category and the lifestyle is appealing I wish you the best of luck, fair seas and following winds.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Great Post! Thank you Ken.
  5. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. It still is what I'd like to get into and you've made me understand it a lot more now. Thank you again:)
  6. robmac

robmac New Member

why the coast guard first?

hey whats up my name is rob and i currently go to mass maritime and i am also planning on breaking into the yachting industry at some point in my life. f you really love the ocean mass maritime is the place for you and if you dont than you will not enjoy your self at the academy. Further more if you have any questions at all about the academy email me, if you want to set up an overnight visit, which i do recommend let me know and we can figure something out. My last question for you is why the coast guard first?There are plenty of kids at the acdemy that are in the coast guard reserve and work for them during the year and during the summer. going to mma first will also get you out of officer training camp, which is supposedly very hard.When you graduate from mma the coast guard would hire you as an officer. I was very interested my senior about going into the coast guard but i think you will find that there is alot more money else where in the maritime field than in the coast guard.
  7. boatingetc

boatingetc New Member

Yes I do realise that one will make alot more money in the Maritime field than that of in the USCG, however I'm not doing this for the money. Some day I may be making the Maritime salary but I want to do it because its one of my interests. I've loved being on the water and its what I'd like to make into my career.

Because I didn't take high school as serious as I should have is why I'm not trying to get into MMA. My grades are not of what they would look for and it would make my time too difficult. I figured if I spent at least 4 years in the USCG, I would have time to take some courses to extend my knowledge in my mathematics and some science. Also the USCG will pay for much, if not all of my tuition to college. So that is what it looks like at the moment. But things could change. The only thing I'm not liking about the coast guard at the moment is it takes them a very long time to return my emails. Ohh well.
  8. robmac

robmac New Member

I see well at least it sounds like you have your head on your shoulders. if you havent already i would definately still recommend applying to the school this year. But whatever you do good luck
  9. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

How about some feed back from an MMA graduate and Yacht Captain. I was a little bit like you when coming out of High School, my grades were not that great and my focus toward my studies was a bit lacking. At the time I applied they were desperate for students and let me in. Well my first year was pretty tough and half way thru my 2nd I decided to leave and regroup before being asked to leave. It was the best decision I ever made. MMA was the only school I ever wanted to go to and I was bound and determined to make it thru, even though everyone warned me if I left I would never go back. Well I did go back at the start of the next year with renewed enthusiam and figured it all out and got thru, not with flying colors but respectable numbers. I knew all along that I wanted to get into yachting when I graduated and made that my goal.
    I can say that, without a doubt my education has really helped me in my quest to become a yacht Captain, I think that it sets you apart from the rest of the pack, certainly when you explain what it takes to get out of there. In one respect though it is similar to Ken's feedback on the CG, they do not prepare you for the dish washing, bed making or endless chamoising. When you come from the Acadamy to yachting, be prepared for some humility and an open mind and attitude.
    I too think you should try and get into the Academy sooner than later if you can, they have lots of programs there that will make it easier to start out and work into the full program. Go for a visit and talk with the admissions people, perhaps a year of community college might work as well first.
    Good luck, and I would like to see more MMA grads in the business, I think it is and untapped market for graduates.
  10. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Jonathan,

I agree with Ken, Rob and ychtcptn.

Getting an education is the BEST INVESTMENT you will ever do in your whole life. It is a decision that you will NEVER regret to have made.

After finishing college, you will have an INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY that you can take with you ANYWHERE in the world, regardless of whatever career you choose. It's something that NOBODY can take away from you.

An education will help you ACHIEVE SUCCESS in your chosen career and be AHEAD OF THE PACK.

This is the best time for you to do it ... WHILE YOU ARE STILL YOUNG!
    Because your mind is like a SPONGE that will absorb all the knowledge you put into it.

Many people who finish college were not perfect high school students.
    But they graduate because THEY BELIEVED IN THEMSELVES and STUDIED HARD.

So ... my two cents' worth of advise:
    Practical, hands-on experience can wait. It will always be there in the future.
    In the meantime ... GO TO SCHOOL.
    HIT THE BOOKS and SPONGE-UP all that STOCK KNOWLEDGE!
    You won't regret it!

Wishing you SUCCESS in all your endeavors.
    Arnie
    :)
  11. madtuna

madtuna New Member

to become a captain

cal state maritime is a good school, i have not personally been there but have had many friends go there. it is a navy/military set up in the way of schedual and uniforms and such.

just rember that because you have qualifications doesn't mean somone will hire you to run there boat right off the bat, most of the captains here and throughout the world started out as deckhands and just worked there way up the ladder. being a captain on a boat that large is not fun and games. your pretty much never home in most cases. not only do you have to know how to "drive' the boat which i might add is probley one of the easiest parts of the job. you have to be a "jack of all trades" as well as a manager.

im not saying this happens to everyone but as far as the coastgaurd goes, just dont forget once you get out and start dealing with owners and guests that you need to be more personable. im not saying that all people in the military get this way but i have noticed that some of them when they get out of the intense schedual that they keep want to continue that with a mega yacht. it doesnt fly to well with people that are worth millions and dont like hearing the word no.

well i hope everything works out for you
    chris