Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Worth a shot right?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by trainer86, Jan 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. trainer86

trainer86 New Member

Hey everybody
    new on the board hopefully I dont get harrased to hard for this.

I am looking for permanent work as a deckhand I am stcw95 certified and I have a lot of experience in working out in the ocean. I love being on the water and i am looking to take a couple years off school to work out on a yacht. I can e-mail my resume along with a photo of myself.

Also if anybody can point me in the right direction on where to go it would be greatly apreciated. I have talked to quite a few crew placement agencies but from past experience it seems like the best option is to walk the docks and talk to the captains up front.

Once again thanks for the help and I apreciate it greatly everybody have a wonderful day.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You're on the right track, but will need to register with those crew agencies. Walking the dock is another good option so stick with it.
    Welcome to YF and good luck.
  3. trainer86

trainer86 New Member

thanx got an interview today for two different yachts so we will see how it goes. Man its great to live in a place like San Diego were its some what easy to find a jobd like this.
  4. trainer86

trainer86 New Member

I have kind of gotten the feeling that the crew agencies arent really looking in your best interest and the only way it is going to get done is by doing it your self.
  5. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

Some Friendly Advice

You seem like a nice guy however some advice.

Have read of the posts in the thread:-
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/yacht-crews/8415-crewing-yachts.html

Have you not considered as this is an yachting industry forum there may be (and there are) people who regularly hire and fire crew reading here?
    Making negative comments about any sector of the industry here is not the way forward for someone trying to make a good impression.

Of course you are not the number one person on the books of the various crew agencies. You are new inexperienced and relatively unqualified.

You need to stand out as being a better option to them than the many hundreds of other people in the same situation as you.
    Don't dismiss the agencies THEY ARE THE EXPERTS IN CREWING YACHTS that is what they do every single day.

Listen to what they tell you.

If you find they are dismissing you, politely ask them why - they can help you -perhaps your C.V. is poor or your look or attitude is not right.
    You must make the effort to visit and talk to them and show them you serious and are what they are looking for.

Anyway - Keep at it.
    Good Luck and keep us posted.