Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

World's Largest Yacht: 525' Platinum (Dubai)

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Apr 11, 2005.

1. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Is LGB Le Grand Bleu?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, in this context it means Le Grand Bleu. However this thread is about Project Platinum...;)
  3. Remy

Remy New Member

Thanks for the link anyway, boss !!! :D
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are welcome Remy! As long as we are talking yachts I like to contribute, but the long discussion on peoples wealth is not so interesting to find under this headline... ;)
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Not to change the vector of this thread, but Lars is right... we should try to maintain the topic of each thread (helps in doing searches).
  6. catmando

catmando Senior Member

There is no doubt Platinum is the big buzz now, and will be, far into the future. Let's hope al-Maktoum will not hide it away from us(if such a monster CAN be hidden :eek: ).
  7. Spicoli

Spicoli New Member

a boat for your island?

it'll be the dinghy they can tool around in when they get bored of their island.

I tried to upload the image, but it's too large.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_418.html

Palm Island Resort, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, is featured in this image photographed by Expedition 10 Commander Leroy Chiao from the International Space Station. The resort is under construction on reclaimed land silhouetted against the dark waters of Dubai’s Persian Gulf coast. Advertised as "being visible from the Moon," this man-made palm-shaped structure displays 17 huge fronds framed by a 12-kilometer protective barrier. When completed, the resort will sport 2,000 villas, 40 luxury hotels, shopping centers, cinemas, and other facilities. When completed, the resort is expected to support a population of approximately 500,000 people.
  8. Remy

Remy New Member

I wish I could own a villa over there... :eek:
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

LOL Those crazy Dubai-ites. Or is it Dubai-ians.

As for the "visible from the Moon" comment... I'm skeptical. Ok, so they claim someone on the ISS took that pic. Fine. The ISS is in orbit at an altitude of 354 kms. The Moon is 384,467 kms away. Their advertising is a little far-fetched I think. ;)
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Any news on Platinum? I heard sea trials were under way.
  11. Kiwispotter

Kiwispotter New Member

Is this the same Sheikh al-Maktoum that died on 4th Jan this year??
    If so does anyone know what is happening with Platinum
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Yes, Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al-Maktoum passed on this past January.
    I would suspect that whatever plans that he had for Platinum will be respected and carried out.
  13. daiwa

daiwa New Member

Just wondering,

How an earth did Prince Jefri Bolkiah made banktrupcy ? Oil price has rocket 600% from 10 $ per baller to 60 $ in the very short period. As far as I could understand instedad it should boost Brunei´s balancesheet. Btw. I am very surprized none of the thread has not much even mentioned about oil price in this forum, perhaps it´s not an issue to superyacht owners, but I am sure it will have an effect to boat indursty sooner or later mixed with the aspect that interest rates heading up in U.S

To mention something positive this all could turn to be good news for sailors.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Daiwa, there's actually a seperate thread all about diesel prices skyrocketing.
  15. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Has anyone got any updates on this monster? Haven't heard anything now for quite awhile. Last I heard they were doing sea trials.
    Some more photos would be nice.
  16. dbart9

dbart9 Member

17. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

18. jimminychricket

jimminychricket New Member

The question is, how soon are we going to see something the size of a super luxury Cruiseliner? Or Boats that sail above the water? Personally large sizes appeal to me, but Small is a lot more economically and environmentally friendly. Some may say, 'Well any boat can be just as Harmful pending on the practices of each individual owner and captain and crew?' I'll take anything between 80 and 250 ft anyday.

The thing about this one, Is the owner is going to be risking alot if he is not properly funded. Fuel is going to be rediculous I'm sure. Interiour furnishings, and obviously the most expensive artifacts are going to be required to accomplish her feat of being the largest and most luxurious yacht. I'm sure her features are going to be most important and plentiful. But seriously. Why would you want to carry that heavy burden of paying for fuel costs, maintenence, and operation unless if you have a couple high profile investors involved in concieving this monsterous masterpiece? Because i don't even think Bill gates could keep up with something this expensive?
  19. dbart9

dbart9 Member

That was the older brother. It is Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum who commissioned the yacht. He has been appointed ruler of Dubai now.
  20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Nice work if you can get it.