Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Work visa for the USA

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by AirbusFlyer, May 28, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AirbusFlyer

AirbusFlyer New Member

Hey all,

Presently almost ready to move on and start a new career in the yachting industry, I was just wondering which crew visa is required to be allowed to work on a yacht .. let's say in FL. Apparently, there are many options out there!

Best Regards
    Tony
  2. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

I am not a lawyer but from recent experience....
    If you get a B1/B2 visa you may work aboard a non-US flagged vessel, provided that you are being paid from a non-US bank account. This visa may allow up to 180 days in the US but you will have to exit the country and re-enter before the time is expired. Immigration may grant up to 180 days but may also grant 90 days or less at their option. Get this visa at the US consulate in your country.
    A C1/D visa is called a seaman's visa but allows only 29 days in the US. This is not very practical for yachts.
    A student visa does not allow you to work in the US regardless of flag state of the yacht.
    You are not permitted to enter the US on a tourist waiver or tourist visa and seek employment.

As a non US citizen you may not work aboard a US Flagged vessel that does any charter or carrying passengers for hire. There is some debate about strictly private US Flagged vessels and foreign crew but most captains will not take the chance of hiring foreign crew for a US boat.

I can not recommend strongly enough to get all your paperwork in order before coming here to find a yacht. One of the first questions I ask in a crew interview is what visa the candidate has and how long remaining on this entry.

Good luck
    Dave