Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Wood Refinishing Question

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by RSheaffer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. RSheaffer

RSheaffer New Member

Do any of you experts out there have any advice on interior wood refinishing?

After taking to the bare mahagony (progressively to #220 grit), should I use some sort of a sealer after the stain, or just start varnishing away? A few 'test' pieces I did in my garage (finished with Schooner #96) turned out pretty good for an amateur ... but now I'm ready to dive in deep. All interior hardware has been removed and my power sanders are standing by!

Eric, others?
  2. wally erickson

wally erickson New Member

I use a sealer before the stain. Lightly sand it then wipe the filler stain on. It goes on much more evenly, then varnish away. As an aside I spray varnish right out of the can and it turns out beautifully. Great for cabinet doors and anything else you can take off the boat. My two cents.
    W.
  3. kips ahoy

kips ahoy New Member

Sealer if looking for high gloss

I have been doing the exterior and have been using a sealer after filer stain and before narnish or urathane.

Kip's ahoy
  4. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

Hi Chris Craft Roamer fans!

I think the older Roamers had as nice an interior (or better) than some of the older Commanders, so we all have the interior finishing duty to tend to now and then.

I can't claim my technique will work for everyone, but it has given me very good results, without (repeat: "without") going down to bare wood. If you have to go down to bare wood, you "really" have a mess on your hands. Most of the time you don't have to do that, and here is a link to one of my interior files for your reading enjoyment, called Interior Woodwork Refinishing (tips and photos)
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1131059156

Regards, Paul
  5. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hello!
    tanks for the tips..
  6. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

HELLO! verry nice interior have just bought a rivera37 the privus owner have put fiberglass on the hole mahogany hope i can remov it..
    cherry Erik FInni lulea sweden