Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Wobble in port shaft

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Stainless45, Jul 16, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

I'm going to test the theory next week by marking the shaft and seeing if the 'high spot' times itself opposite of the key. She's still in the water, kinda hoping I can live with the wobble until she comes out again some time in October
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

good idea. Whoever pulled the shaft should have checked that the strut is lined up correctly. I had this issue on my boat when we repowered. After 3 months on the hard and major weight changes inside the struts weren't lined up. We had to plug all holes, draw some reference lines, put the boat in the water over a week end then haul and block again to make sure the hull was back in shape. We still had to move one of the strut.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Get yourself an inexpensive dial indicator so you can do this and get an actual measurement. You can get a complete kit with magnetic base on Amazon for under $40
    Stainless45 likes this.
  4. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Post #49:
    "A new key was made for the coupler bore."
    You may be able to see a gap between the coupler and shaft on the side where the key is.
    If the shaft is clean and unblemished, so the seal rotor can be moved on the shaft, a lot can be done without hauling out.
    Stainless45 likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Usually not much iron for a magnetic dial base to mount on in a bilge.
    I use a heavy scrap iron plate sitting in the bilge. Also had a metal tab welded on a large welders vice grip.