Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Wishing to Become A Superyacht Captain

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by nani17, Jul 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. nani17

nani17 New Member

I currently in my last year of high school (secondary school) in New Zealand. I have been brought up around boats and wish to become a superyacht captain.

I was wondering if I am able to have any information on what the best process is to become a captain of a superyacht. Ie: Do I need a certain qualification, where to go, why, how much, and other info.

I am going on my OE in 2011 and will be travelling through North America and Europe. Woud it be wise to look for deckhand jobs in ports/marinas while I am travelling? Is it common that a captain may just work themselves up from an original deckhand position?

Thanks very much!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You could use the search function on here to find the answers to most of your questions.

Gone are the days for the most part where if the Owner liked you you would be Captain of his yacht before you knew where the Golden Rivet was.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to start as a Deckie and work your way towards Captain, there are many others following this same career path themselves.

If you want to get a job on a yacht you would do well to undertake a few preps before heading off in ya canoe from Godzone.

There are a few STCW 95 Basic Courses that you will need to have to serve on a lot of boats, a current seafarers medical known as an ENG 1 will also be required on many of them.

Yes, there is a certain qualification required to be a Captain for all but the smallest percentage of vessels. It is something that you can work towards in stages by obtaining qualifications then some more seatime and then another qualification and so on.

That is of course unless you eat a lot of cereal (j/k)
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator