Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Wisdom on 35 Viking sportfish needed!

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by mbursey, Jun 9, 2007.

1. mbursey

mbursey New Member

Hi All,

I am looking at a 1985 35ft Viking Convertiable/Sportfish and really need to know how these boats handle/Ride in Heavy seas. I will be coastal cruising in the north Atlantic and the weather can be nasty at times.I have heard that this size and approx year had ahd some problems when it came to ride (bumpy and alot of pounding). I am not sure of the degree of the V hull or if it flattens out alot towards the stearn for more speed. I have also hear that it is not a dry ride.

This particulat model has Cat T-3208 Diesels in it an would also like to know if anyone knows what they are like on fuel.

Really need help here .......I don't know a sole with this type of boat!

Thanks in advance!
    M
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Viking 35: Neither

No Viking 35 diehard fans out there? Oh, well.
    Look: your question is a bit subjective. Bumpy? According to whose standards?
    BTW, all boats are "bumpy", just some less so than others.
    The Vike has a 15 1/2 degree deadrise aft. A Bertram 35 has a 19 degree deadrise and is/was considered to be a boat with excellent seakeeping abilities.
    So, is the Viking a lesser boat? Not necessarily.
    They built those things for six years, so there are a bunch around, and that in itself should tell you something.
    Shouldn't be too tough to find one and cadge a ride to see for yourself.

Cats, like all fourstroke diesels, are fuel sippers.
  3. mbursey

mbursey New Member

thanks !

Thanks Loren,

At least someone has some input ! I didn't think the boats were that unpopular....

Anyway I was wondering where you get those specs on dead rise from? Is there an internnet site with this info on it?

I guess what i meant buy asking this was if anyone knew the overall ride performance in this boat in heavy seas i.e. Some boats you have to cut back on the power in heavy seas as they will launch off waves and come down to slam on the next. Others you can open up in heavy seas and they will slice from one wave to the next without really even leaving the water. Lots of water flying but much more comfortable.

I know that the deadrise ,weight, and length has a major part in that but i can never seem to find specs on the baots i'm looking at to put the picture together myself. If you have a resource for this it would be greatly appreciated?!?!

Thanks again!
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Never ran on a 35 Viking. But ran a boat that had those 3208's packed in to the engine room. Several idssues to look for: check the oil pans and check them again. Look for any rust on the pans from salt water (bilge water). The pans, if close to the hull can corrode from water splash. See if pans have been repainted or any odd-looking finish on pans, where a pin hole may have been patched. Other area of concern: one engine water hose is located behind raw water pump, if I remember correctly. If this out-of-sight, out-of-mind hose bursts, the engine is down, so change hose immediately and keep[ spares. Otherwise I liked them. Easy to work on, ran good, maybe a little smoke on cold start. BTW, they don't make those engines any more but there should be parts around. If you plan to keep for a number of years, I would get a few extra spare parts.
  5. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Bursey,
    Let me give you a heads up: Don't post the same questions in three or more threads. I answered in one of your threads on the Viking, then saw another asking about Cat 3208's (which you asked about in the Viking thread), now this one. That's a sure way to p/o the moderators.
    Look back at your other threads for answers.
  6. Kenny's Toy

Kenny's Toy New Member

Never ran on a viking 35, but I have a friend who owns one, and in rough waters headsea he's never been able to keep up with me, I have an 1975 Bertram 35 its not about speed his boat is much faster than mine but only in calm waters .
    the viking on the other hand is much stable when trolling or drifting...