Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Westport

Windlass choices?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CTdave, Mar 9, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I am in the immediate market for a windlass for my 50 Hatteras sport fish.
    I like the look of the Lewmar V4 and V5. From what I've read, they are capable units but I thought I'd tap this vast knowledge base for your thoughts on what you use & suggest.
    I don't know that I would need the drum (available with or without), It's low profile looks great without the drum & I frankly donk know why I would need it. My Bertram has a drum (only) which I wrap the anchor line around & step on the foot toggle & then I manually feed it into the locker. If the Lewmar is automatic, how/why would one need the drum?
    Thanks
    Dave
  2. Mark I

Mark I Member

Dave,

My understanding is that for example, you could use the drum to haul up 2,000 ft of line stored in a separate bin on deck when anchoring at the canyon.

Also, I just replaced my old drum only Ideal with a new Ideal that is rope/chain compatible (without the drum).
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

CTdave,

I have the older sprint model on a 50 Post, it is an excellent unit. As said above the drum provides you with an auxiliiary winch. raising a second anchor, etc. just wrap the drum a couple of times, use the foot switch and "tail" the incoming line to keep it tight around the drum. (of course you will have to take the primary line or chain off the main sprocket by giving it slack.) Various other ways to use it manually.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sometimes the line slips on the chain/rope wheel after it has shrunk or stiffened a little. Also the drum helps, or if you're raising a lot of anchor line. If you're using all or mostly all chain I wouldn't worry about the drum. If you're not planning on anchoring much, go without the wheel, but if you do, it can come in handy. The Lewmar windlesses work well though.
  5. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

windlass

As far as I know Lewmar or at least the windlass branch of the Company has been purchased by Osculati, that is the biggest Italian Wholesaler in boating field (more or less like your Westmarine).
    I've owned a Hatteras 50C series II and I've installed a Lewmar on that boat, with no satisfaction at all. On my present boat (still a 50C last series) I found a windlass made by Maxwell that is also the first equipment choosen by the Manufacturer. It's a completely different story; no complains, full satisfaction.
    Be aware of the position where you'll install it on the deck, because if you put it on the bow pulpit, you'll get mad with the chain clogging into the chain compartment.

franz
  6. jbk4001

jbk4001 New Member

Give the brand: Good Windless a look at….. We are very satisfied with it….
  7. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I have a Maxwell on a 40' Carver. Very happy with it. Dash controls, foot controls, remote. Low profile vertical mount. No drum. I run 250' of all chain rode.

I used to have a Sportfsher 450 and it was no where near what this windlass is.
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    I ended up buying the Maxwell RC10/10mm windlass without the drum. The prices were all over the place but West Marine did a price match for me & I ended up around $1380. Not a bad price considering some places had it listed around $2800!!!

Attached Files:

9. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Maxwell makes a good product.
  10. Henning

Henning Senior Member

You should be quite happy with that, although I find that the gypsies don't handle line quite as well as advertised, especially when the line gets some stretch and wear on it. It's usually best all around (except for the weight in the bow) to go with all chain.