Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

wind

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by travler, Jan 18, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. travler

travler Senior Member

i was just watching the news in la,CA and it reported the winds at vandenberg AF base were reported to be as high as 100mph , sure glad i was not going around point conception it would have been rough

travler
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Just a freak wind? Random gust?
  3. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Lots of storms this week. 30'+ waves outside of San Francisco.
  4. travler

travler Senior Member

Random Gust's
  5. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It would have been flat calm tight inshore. Those winds come out of the desert. You can rock at full speed with just a storm sail up on some point of a reach. Just stay tight to the windward shore.

Avalon Harbor on the other hand is a nightmare. It was Thanksgiving about 20 years ago and I had morning inside Shoreboat duty. The harbor was full, every mooring was taken inside and somebody turned on the wind switch setting it to around 70. In about 15 minutes it was 8' in the inner harbor and everyone was calling to get picked up. That was a long morning. The back rows were really interesting as you're right on the beach in breaking waves. That's why they build those boats with 4-53s and a tranny that handles 700hp, we beat those units, full throttle ahead direct to full throttle aft as fast as you could pull the handle and immediately back again.