Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Westport

WILL WORK FOR FREE ! ! !

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by DustyRhodes, Jan 20, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

Ucinga,
    There is a HUGE difference between professional yachting and pleasure sailing.
    The crew on megayachts put in 16 to 18 hour days on a regular basis, they give up any "normal" family life, are away from family and friends for weeks to months on end. The crew has no say in where the boat goes, how many guests they are waiting on and frequently works weeks to months without a full day off. In addition crew at all levels on these yachts are required to have a variety certifications and training. For this they are well compensated.

In pleasure sailing the crew is not required to have STCW or other certification, often donate time for a passage or vacation time aboard the boat. Very often the owner will be doing a large portion of the work and be treating the crew as peers, not service staff.

To make comments about crew or captains making too much money would be like me suggesting that you take a pay cut because your job sounds like so much fun (what ever it may be is beside the point).

Enjoy sailing, it is a great sport but is not the same as working on a yacht.

Dave
  2. ucinga

ucinga New Member

WILL WORK FOR FREE

My point exactly sailronin, like in my post of 02/03 it's apples and oranges.
  3. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

D' Oh!

Sorry Carl, an effect of my sobriety
  4. DustyRhodes

DustyRhodes New Member

Thank You All So Very Much !

Hello , and thanks for your replies about my Statement "Will Work For Free" ! My appologies to those who obviously have some deep personal issues. My intentions were and still are to state that I would like an oppurtunity to work, learn, and obtain certifications in a trade that I have so much passion for ! Nobody works for free ! But Im willing to do whatever it takes to bring my dream, passion, and goals to fruition ! Im a proffesional in pursuit of a career not a vacation.
    Sincerely,
    Dusty Rhodes
    817 485-9244
  5. marcusra

marcusra Member

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??? I smell pure Communism in this tread!!

If this man wants an experience and he wants to pay for it (working for free is a big price)!! I don't see any problem in this, and i hope that he will get a nice trip!!! :p

And to the truly jealous NORSEMAN:mad: :
    Is the chance of crew starting to work for free after this that big??? (Don't think so !!!!!):rolleyes:
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Huh, jealous of what?

Not sure how you mix up communism in this either? :confused:

If you did not get the message the first time around Mr. Marcusra, on why working for free takes food off the table of somebody who does this for a living, then I am not going to try to explain it again.
    Obviously you are to dense to comprehend the concept.

Feel sorry for you..:rolleyes:
  7. marcusra

marcusra Member

The mainpoint of the concept Communism is:
    "Everything equal for everybody" and that in my view is what you strive for in this tread!!!!

And I don't think you understand the idea of free-enterprise either!?
    If I should start a company to hire out Yacht-Crew and my people would charge less for the same work done... I would get the market wouldn't I :rolleyes:

And once again I do not think that people start working for free just because of this one man, so you have nothing to be afraid of!!!
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Marcrusa,

Your point is made and I think everyone understands your position on the issue. I'm not sure how the thread deteriorated to this point, but please... let's keep the thread professional, informative and good spirited.
  9. marcusra

marcusra Member

ABSOLUTLY. I will not go any further into this subject...