Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Will Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) technology be installed in boats?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by unsinker, Dec 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That is an observation, it is a reality. It is not an "assessment," an opinion, or a an acceptance of the condition. Luck has nothing to do with a condition we find on many boats. We investigate the problem, measure the extent of the problem then we fix the problem.

Re: "You are aware that I am referencing SCR Systems which use DEF and not Soot / PM Filtration devices?"

Current and future emissions regulations address SOx, NOx, and Particulate Matter (PM). Selective Catalytic Reduction is just one process for NOx reduction. Full compliance with MARPOL and EPA emissions limits at this time requires both DPF and SCR aftertreatment. SCR is the only currently available technology to meet NOx limits. One cannot take a single component and use that to define or critique an entire system.

In practice, the DPF is the component most responsible for exhaust backpressure issues as the SCR catalyst is a "flow through" device which is not a large contributor of back pressure. Adding SCR capability to the system installed by Jorge's firm is a project in progress now and should be available in the near future.
  2. unsinker

unsinker Member

Thank you PacBlue, that was and is what I am curious about, even if I started the topic with DEF as that is what got my attention to start with, I am sure this is only the start of new technologies to be invented and applied to the same problem or issue and of new developments on existing ones, the trend has started and there is no way back, thank you to everyone else that contributed to this topic, I believe there will be more discussion on this topic now or on a later post since it is such a serious engineering challenge, thanks again.
  3. jeffbec51

jeffbec51 New Member

I purchased an expensive Mercedes RV with the Mercedes Diesel and including DEF. It was a disaster and commercial vehicle purchasers are wary of it too. A lot of maintenance
    and in my case the Computer gave off the alarm SEVERAL times while driving on Interstates and said get to a Mercedes Service Center Fast! After this occurred several times I
    sold this vehicle and took a beating on the resale. Never again!!!
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Wow it seems there are a few folks having problems. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/x204-glk-class/1797801-def-warning-malfunction-2.html

One strange thing when I googled it all the results are in English. I would have thought if it were a fleet wide problem the forums in other countries would be full of tales of problems too
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

US's EPA regulations on diesel cars and trucks are very harsh and I believe the diesels have to meet higher mandates here than in Europe. Look at the VW/AUDI fine by the EPA of Billions of dollars on their diesels sold in the U.S. There is so much equipment and crap added to our on road diesel cars and trucks, it's completely ridiculous and really effects driveability and fuel economy.