Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Will 4G transmissions disrupt GPS signals?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by lovinlifenc, Feb 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

Does anyone know anything about this? This may affect coastal and inland GPS users.

"Researching the expansion of new 4G networks, Scott Burgett and Bronson Hokuf performed a series of lab simulations to see if the GPS satellite band would be affected by the planned rollout of some 40,000 4G base stations on the ground. GPS satellites have been transmitting signals on the bands between 1559 and 1610 megahertz for decades, but the proposed 4G stations would be occupying a similar spectrum – in the 1525 to 1559 MHz range.

During their tests, Burgett and Hokuf discovered that the overlap has the potential to seriously compromise GPS reception that "will result in widespread, severe GPS jamming [and] will deny GPS service over vast areas of the United States.""

[STORY HERE]
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This is interesting. A very old friend, Phil Belanger, founded and wrote the protocols for 802.11, commonly known as Wi-Fi. Phil's joined us for a couple of cruises in years past, but I haven't spoke to him in a while. I'd like to get his take on this. I'll venture an email...
  3. Ward

Ward Senior Member

4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

This story and subsequently this post will need some clarification before everyone goes running around saying GPS is in trouble.
    A few words first: I am posting here to share information, and as I do work for a wireless carrier, I will not identify or promote them and I am in no way speaking on their behalf. I do ask that the few folks on this site who may know who I work for not to divulge it so we can keep this thread unbiased.

Okay, now with that out of the way...
    4G is a generic term for "Fourth Generation". You see most all the larger carriers touting 4G. Well, we use many terms as generic terms throughout our lives and the carriers are doing the same.
    Trouble is, not all 4G networks are the same. Some carriers are using a technology called WiMax, others using HSPA+, and still others are using something called LTE. These are not the same; some are completely new networks and others are tweaked up 3G networks. And they use different spectrum (MHz).
    I think the story needs to disclose which network they were referring to, and disclose who LightSquared is working for (as in which network type).
    I don't understand how we got this far with 4G rollout and the GPS issue is just coming up.
    And just a side note since I heard this question on the radio recently: the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 do not signify which type of network they run on. They both run on 3G. Now, the iPhone 5 may be a different story.
    And carriers do have other phones that run on 4G.
  5. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

OK Capt! If you looked at any of the links you would see it is beyond whatever jargon you are hung up on.
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I did look at the links before responding and it did not say which network was in question.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Before you start lipping off at someone who probably knows more about this than the average person you would do well to read the information you posted a link to and refer to.

Whilst the frequency that the 4G Band is going to operate on is posted clearly that link does not and nor does the Light squared site state which carriers systems are the ones that seem to be causing trouble.

If you are so knowledgeable and well informed maybe you could spare a few secs to share the missing info with us.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm not knowledgeable in this, but wouldn't Lightsquared be selling/renting space on their bandwidth and therefore the carriers will have to build compatible units. Therefore, who the carriers are could be ever-changing with all who use it being equipped to potentially cause interference?