Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Why not a used Azimut?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Zud, Jun 1, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zud

Zud Senior Member

SL
    Don't keep me in suspense, which one did you opt for and Why
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would take a Searay, Neptunus, or Sunseeker over a Viking Princess or Fairline anyday. I've run several Princesses including a new 2014 as well as a few fairlines and they both had many issues.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Most new boats do, especially larger production-based craft. I wouldn't be quick to discount all Brit boats. We have some happy Fairline owners on YF. The OP is searching the pre-owned market. If the bugs haven't been resolved, a survey will reveal.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

He didn't discount all Brit boats. He loves Sunseeker.

I suggest the same on Italian boats. We love our Riva's.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most I've run were not new. But the access on the Princesses to anything in the engine room is near impossible. Many issues from an engineering standpoint, same with Fairline....The Princesses/Viking SC do not ride that great, some are ok like the 64' (2004), but the new 56' (2014)and older 61' FB (1998) boats and 58' express (2005) are pounders......I do like Sunseekers, which are not without their blemishes either such as gelcoat cracking, but the best of that breed/country when it comes to build quality and ride. It looked like on the Princess 56' was built by unskilled craftsman because Princess moved all of their skilled craftsman to the new big ones they introduced and couldn't keep up with demand and all the new hires worked on building the small ones.....They also don't learn and change. This 2014 was on it's 2nd retractible canvas FB top because the first one shredded on it's initial seatrial and the second one shredded all of it's extremely undersized hardware before we got to Bimini and had 16 5/16" ropes tieing the 1" s/s poles to the windshield supports so we could do our trip to the Exumas and Back......

Same with Italian boats in this size, Riva is the best of that country......most are not close quality wise when you consider Italian boats....Azimut, Uniesse, etc.
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I would have to agree on the above. Riva and Pershing are among the best quality production boats from Italy. With some distance behind, I would consider a Mangusta but only from the post Rodriguez aera. As a yard for a larger full custom boat, I would consider ISA for quality and construction.

British yachts are not on my Radar, I could not tell if good or bad. The only british boat we ever had in the family many years ago, was a Fisher 46, a canoe stern ketch type sail boat. Not very pretty and not ment for racing but a great and sturdy sail boat in heavy weather.

Pretty or even beautiful is just not the British way of doing things :p.

Sailing.jpg
    Buccaneer.jpg
    Reliant.jpg
    Sorry, I could not resist :D.
  7. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    Lazzara 68
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

So how do you like your Lazzara?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh yes, How do you like your Lazzara?

I met Richard (Dick) at a show many moons ago at a show. He was trying to introduce a customer factory to ship dial in. I loved the idea. Never heard a thing about it since.
    Sadly, never worked on one either here in south Georgia. Always had to admire them from afar.
    Still, eager to hear more about them.

Also think I'm not alone by not mentioning OA. Not a big QC issue, but I thing the OP wants some pizazz and speed.
  10. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    We've enjoyed it a lot, but it's on the market, as we've bought a Florida home, and it's not getting as much use as it did originally.

Things I like about it:

1. One of the few boats of that size with 4 staterooms, and a private shower/head in each.
    2. Beefy systems, such as fresh water pumps.
    3. Huge engine room, with great access to systems, and stand up headroom.
    4. Only 4' draft .... Great for South Florida coastal cruising.
    5. Stabilizers work great .... Very comfortable ride. (Caveat ... We don't often go boating real bad weather)
    6. Day head off the galley.
    7. Dinghy garage, keeps he dinghy out of the weather. (But less convenient to use if you are stern in docked)
    8. Galley at salon level.
    9. American built, so american systems .... Easier to service, etc.

Things I don't like:
    1. Lazzara out of business, although they didn't give us much support the one time we asked for it.
    2. We had a problem with headliners falling down .... Lazzara had a dumb way of installing them, and we had to essentially replace them all with a better system.
    3. Lots of windage when docking in a breeze. It can be a handful when it's just me and my wife.
  11. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Being the OP, OA is an option and am okay with slow and steady at this point. Not in any real hurry to get anywhere these days !!!
  12. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

That's an extremely useful and direct list, providing a succinct and substantive review. Well done, I like it.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ocean Alexander has had some ups and downs like any mfg. I've been on a couple. Workable engine rooms, small cabins, nice saloon, small galley. We have delivered minor ER work. No complaints (not much blood lost).

I always thought Jefferson's were similar. Worked on the 8.3m Cummings in one. No complaints in the ER. Lucky to have my boy with me on that outside raw water pump (Cummings curse, not Jefferson).

Not run either. No clue how they ride in da slop. The Jefferson owner said his did pretty well during one conservation.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, I got some good info there also. Thank you Mark.
    ,rc
  15. Randall Burg

Randall Burg New Member

All boats have issues - but as an owner you learn to love the boat and figure out the "work arounds". Azimuth have fantastic hulls designed to go to sea,handle all kinds of conditions, and bring the owner and family home. Not all boats can say that! Sea Ray's are great boats but the hulls just do not compare to the Azimuth design. Yes - Sea Rays offer more interior room - thats by design and what the American market wants. The compromise is a hull is more about general comfort and not ultimate sea handling or high top speeds. Med boats, including Azimuth, are design with less beam - thats what give them a higher speed, depending on engines, etc., and the ability to handle more diverse sea conditions.

Buy a boat that you love - learn its' charastics and enjoy the ride!
  16. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Randall,

Thanks for the reply. Not really concerned with "rough" weather in that I probably will be a fair weather boater and hang in the Great Lakes or CLOSE to the eastern shore. Speed not a real factor in that on a boat like we are talking about why not be on it and enjoy it for what it is!!! The things about the Azimut that creep me out are is its' lack of consistency from one boat to the other...Wiring, equipment, parts and the availability of local parts for some items. I really am soul searching and deciding whether to go over purchase budget (by a fairly large amount) and jump into the Neptunus 56 Flybridge , used of course. Still saearching...
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One thing about the Great Lakes is they can go from nice to rough very quickly, like in a couple of hours. So speed might be of interest and in the Great Lakes you cannot predict that a nice day will stay that way.

I'd also take a look at Searay sedan bridges as they're similar to the Neptunus and a good boat also. Not sure what your needs are or budget, but newer and a bit smaller might be easier to deal with budget wise, than older and larger, unless you need the size for your family situation.
  18. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Capt J,

The one reason for a 50 - 56 foot boat is that this is it my one and only time I'm doing this. I dont want to get a 40 foot boat and in a few years that i should have gone bigger. Either way I end up selling a boat...too small and realize that too late, too big and realize it too late, just realize too late that boating in this realm is not for me. I don't want to get a 40 footer then in four years after loving the experience sell it and buy a larger one. My wife would kill me.

The SeaRays just have /or dont have something about them that just doesn't seem to fit in my mind...I know that they are great boats and might just end up buying one...just not quite yet. Lord knows that there are many to choose from of all shapes and sizes.

What are you considering older?

Thanks
    Zud
  19. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Good logic Zud,
    Have you looked at a Tollycraft 57?
    Older model boat, US built.
    The ones I have seen are good quality and good sea boats with a terrific layout.
    There are a few for sale, worth having a look. Ed Monk design, so besides having a good hull, they also are aesthetically nice. Although my favourite is the 65 foot, perfect boat for a cruising family and very pleasing to the eye. The 61 foot has a cockpit that is far too small. There is an extended 61 in Stuart, Florida for sale. It is now a 68 foot with large cockpit and if I didn't have a boat and our Aussie dollar had not dropped so low, I would be on my way to check it out!
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member