Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Walker

Why is it so difficult to get a car on a yacht?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Leveller, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

I just read an article in a magazin about the difficulty to have a car on a yacht. They showed three different ways.

1. In a garage, where normaly the tender is placed, then the car is brought to the bathingplatform and is liftet by a crane.

2. The car is stowed on the middle of a three deck yacht and will be swung to the side of the yacht by a cranesystem (what only will be possible if the place where the car will be brought to is lower than the middle deck).

3. Like the Lady Lola tenders, the car is stowed in the garage beside the tender, will be swung to the side, then a second crane from an upper deck will lift it to the land.

All three ways don't sound like the ultimate way. I'm not so well informed in these technics, but is it possible, if you have an open deck in the back, to stow a car in a "carlift" like the heli in the Amels advertisement and then set it with a crane on land?

I personaly would be nervous if my car will hung over the water like in example 2 and 3.

Thanks
    Leveller
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I think the answer lies in... the lack of demand for this. Certainly a yacht could be equipped with a hoisting system specifically for a car, but traditionally, tenders and launches have been favored. They tend to float better. ;) Remember, many yachting destinations don't have docks.

All joking aside. I think you're right-on with your concept to store a car in the "trunk" of a yacht. It would really be quite easy to have ramps extend from the stern to a dock. You could simply drive the car onto the yacht.

But as I said, the demand for carrying a car has never been that great, or else we would have seen more builder's making provisions for the same. Trust me when I say, there is nothing today's yacht manufacturers can't build. For all practical purposes, most every *major* component onboard a custom yacht is hand-built. The exception being davits, cranes, etc, which are usually purchased through sub-contractors.

Generally, yachts are equipped to deploy the accessories they carry. These accessories (tenders, PWC's, etc) are generally equipped to be lifted or hoisted, as part of the OEM protocols and equipment. Cars on the other hand... maybe an eye-hook would make a good hood ornament? ;)

Good question. Thanks for asking and welcome aboard. :)
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Octopus has a G-Wagon on board that can be seen (just barely) inside the garage in this pic: http://img2.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img2&image=118535476PsoATE_fs.jpg

I don't see anything directly evident as being used to get it off the ship though.

Personally, I think the new SMARTs are a far better idea when it comes to cars on yachts. Making a small drive-in-drive-out "cage" for one would be relatively simple and just about any crane or hoist could lift one up and put it wherever required.
  4. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

Thanks for your answer.

I came to the question after seeing Octopus for the first time (there was a picture with the hangar opened and you could see the SUV).

Correct me if I'm wrong. Yachts in this dimentions have owners which mostly have to be protected by security. So if they have a security car, it can be needful to bring it to the yachtdestination (maybe a region where it is not possible to get a car like the own).

On the other hand, if there is an heli why use a car...

A few month ago there was a presentation of the local industrie here in the north of Bremen for young people to get an idea what they can do after they finished school. I was there with some kids of my Badmintongroup. Luerssen was there and is was possible to ask some question. But the answers were after the motto "make a lot of words, but say nothing".

I asked for the use of a landing craft for cars if there is no dock (like a small ferry), but the answer was just a smile.
  5. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

I think if Allen would go to africa or the Kerguelen a G-Wagon or SUV would be the best way to travel on land. But as long he is traveling to places where roads are, there is indeed no need for such a car.
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Leveller, you miss the American mentality. SUVs are literally everywhere. People do nothing but get groceries in HUGE behemoths that get 10 miles per gallon and take up two parking spaces. Someone driving a G-Wagon is actually being considerate in not taking up too much space. 99% of "off-road" vehicles in North America never see dirt under their tires. LOL

As for landing craft, I once read that Rising Sun did indeed have one to launch a Hummer, but since I never saw any pics to suggest such a thing I left it classified as a rumour. Who knows... ;)
  7. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

Rising Sun has a landing craft, I've seen it on the shipyard, but the information with the Hummer is new to me.

Sorry that I forgot that. I'm always asking me what will happen if some American has to park in our parking garages with a SUV...
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most of the marina's that megayachts dock at do not have the type of dock that has the room for a car to drive down it or the support. Therefore, while it is pretty easy to figure out a way to store, load, and unload a car from a megayacht, there is no place to set the car down on.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Hence why I think a SMART would be a smart (forgive the pun) idea. It's curb-weight is only 740 kg. Any dock that can receive a megayacht would surely be strong enough to support a SMART.
  10. techmati

techmati Senior Member

i dont see why the big yachts like Octopus which moor alongside could not have a ramp that extends like a car carrier's would and allow armoured mercedes to exit. would be a unique touch. at the superyacht marinas in greece mainland you can park the car behind the yacht no problem.

Perhaps such cars are easy to rent where there is large marinas. At other marinas where there would be difficulty to obtain them the vessel would not be alongside anyway so there would be no point.

no problem to have a crane that can lift a car anyway and not difficult for a crewmember to operate. no need for special lifting points, can use two slings like lifting a boat or clamps which attach to the wheels.

armoured cars and security aside, there must be some owner who misses his special sports car at home while travelling with the yacht?
  11. YachtForums

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

I was just holding on the phone when I mumbled the question out loud... "Why is it so hard to get a car on yacht?

The woman on the other end of the line heard me and said... "because you can't take its shoes off". :D
  12. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

if you don't want a main salon on your yacht ....

Attached Files:

13. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

the same way by night

Attached Files:

• ext4.jpg
      ext4.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  14. YachtForums

I was wondering if someone had some drawings, but Leveller came through with some actual photographs. Way to go Leveller! :)

Darn shame to see a Chrysler LeBaron garaged on a yacht... :D
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Uhhh.... yeah.... :confused: How on earth did that get there?
  16. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

ahhh, so it can be done!

I have spoken with my broker about this idea too, besides the sub on board I am so wanting to bring my Lotus Elise with me, the person who mentioned those with a sports car they didn't want to leave behind is exactly me!

My car weighs 1975#, aluminium and composite, so I think it is a ideal type to put on a yacht, small in size and same materials yachts are constructed of so I am not so concerned about corrosion issues. The wheels though must be supported on all four corners to protect the suspension, a full cradle would work for this, Or a drive on garage, being the car is as small as most RIBS are I think it would fit most anywhere.

I am trying to incorporate as much of what I hope to have on board with the realities of being able to do it of course. A chopper is last on my list, might be nice to be able to land one but I have no interest in being a owner of it or making provisions for the ship to carry one.

A fancy mahogany launch is nice but truthfully I could care less how I get to shore as long as it is dry and safe. So a well built RIB should suffice. I would rather keep the garage for my car if that was my only choice for placement.

Is it true though to find proper places to offload a car at most marinas is going to be difficult? What about using the commercial ship yard areas of most waterside cities for the offload and reload of the car while in port and keeping the yacht after doing so in a marina's slip?

Costs do come into play of course, a 50k car is hard to offbalance if it is going to cost me 3x as much just to bring her along, might be cheaper to leave a car in each main area port at that point! Leasing garages, cost of another Lotus Elise or Exige and delivery to port may end up the cheapest way to go. It isn't like this car is going to be used in the outlaying areas or remote islands where roads are mostly dirt anyways.

My favorite way to relax though is a twisty mountain road or scenic oceanside drive ( havent found one yet in Florida!) And I know I will be jonesing big time to do that in many of the port cities. Keep the SUV for the crowd who has no idea what driving is about....
  17. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I would be tempted to stow a GEM (or 2!) on board -

http://www.gemcar.com/asp/subpage_vehicles.asp

Light enough they would not need very heavy handling equipment at all. Electric so you don't have to be concerned about the flavor of the local gasoline. And cheap enough that there is no guilt if the silly thing just goes unused.

While I enjoyed my old Lotus very much, surely using local rental cars would a lot less hassle?

Kelly Cook
  18. YachtForums

Carrying a car with you can certainly be done, but rental cars are available at almost any yachting destination, with the exception of those destinations you TRULY buy a yacht for... reclusive and relatively undiscovered regions where you are far removed from civilization (and reality).

Sure, having your favorite car with you would be nice, but most marina's are not equipped for offloading vehicles. Personally, I would rather rent an exotic car that is different than my own car at each destination. Variety is good!

That being said, I can fully appreciate why you would want to take your car with you... the Lotus Elise is one very cool (albeit small) sports car. Love to have one myself, but at my height... I can barely fit into the NSX's I've had.

Have to agree with you on Florida's lack of twisties. In the past, I've taken my cars to Moroso or Sebring. But these days... I'm one of those SUV drivers you referred to. ;) Don't you just love Florida's roads! We define the meaning of the shortest distance between two points... a straight line. :rolleyes:

By the way, you don't happen to drive a yellow Elise, do you? The first time I ever saw one was a few weeks ago up in Palm Beach. ('twas a girl driving)
  19. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

There is a potential liability tag and exposure that may be beyond your comfort level.
    Have a chat with your insurer on this subject. There are places where you will not be able to get coverage at any price and should you have an incident the yacht could be subject to forfeiture. The sudden appearance of substantial taxes and fees in some places upon the importation of a vehicle can be more than just a nuisance.
  20. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

Yes I do drive a Yellow Elise, though I am not in Palm Beach area all that much, It may not have been me but that is the car I have. After reading all about liabilities, licensing, insurance etc.. I think I will leave the car at home and rent what is available local.

Are there there the same restrictions for scooters? Will I have just as much trouble as far as legalities of insurance/registration etc.. For bringing scooters to locations we dock?

If so does it have to do with horsepower ratings/gas/electric ? Perhaps that is the best way to get around anyways.