Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

Why Hasn't Opal C Sold

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by discokachina, Mar 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ribtickler2

ribtickler2 New Member

more

sorry - just realised you're not allowed to include URLs in the posts!
  2. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Opal C Is Sold

Hi Adrian, Last time I heard from Aquamarine he said the sale had closed, he had renamed her Lady Arraya, and was taking her to Thailand where she would be chartered. If you Google Lady Arraya you will find some listings for her under her new name. I am sorry she has gone that far as I had fantasies about her too.
  3. ribtickler2

ribtickler2 New Member

thanks

for your quick response on this - the superyachts add still seems live - I suspect her purchaser may, whilst now chartering, have her on the market too - not an uncommon approach to ownership - a millionaire one responded as to whether his yacht was for sale: 'Everything I have is for sale, excepting the wife - but don't make me an offer on her - PLEASE!'

As it was previously in private ownership I'm surprised she is compliant MCA etc. for the charter mkt!
  4. aquamarine

aquamarine New Member

Hi ribtickler2,

Lady Arraya (ex Opal C) is now in Phuket where she made her first official appearance as a Charter yacht at the Asia Superyachts Rendez Vous from December 16th to 18th. Lady Arraya is not for sale, the listing you have seen is probably not updated.
  5. discokachina

Opal C Now In Phuket

Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kr_ZfZ_Ti8&feature=player_embedded#! of the Asia Superyacht Rendevouz where Opal C, now Lady Arraya, is seen in several scenes. At 6 minutes and 30 seconds we are treated to a video tour of Lady Arraya including the opening of her infamous rotating dining salon. Quite fantastic! See if you can name all the superyachts cruising Phuket in the video. Hint: one is Silver Zwei, one of the biggest and fastest!
  6. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Isnt that similar to another build named Obession ...

TBH it's the visual aspect more than anything that is turning away buyers because unless they have very deep pockets and can afford a complete rebuild only then will the visual aspect be rectified
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

The new owner has left the spoiler in tack, as may easily be seen in the video - post # 45.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - owner and admirers.

Obsession may need a rectification in your eyes; but not in mine.

http://www.obsessionyacht.com/gallery/
  8. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Obession got review in BI tbh it looked rather smart inside ..

outset looks can be decieving
  9. discokachina

Bannenberg's Fantastic Designs

Considering both Lady Arraya and Obsession have the same
    Shipyard: Oceanfast
    Naval Architect: Phil Curran Design
    Exterior Designer: Bannenberg & Rowell Design
    Interior Designer: Bannenberg & Rowell Design
    it is understandable that they have some similar design elements.

I love Bannenberg's work and find it interesting that his yachts seem to take a long to sell and often after many reductions in price. I guess the strong love hate feelings his fantastic designs emote are the reason. Sea Bowld who just had her price reduced again, this time by 2M:( , is a good example. Obsession just had her first market correction of a whopping 3M.

Bannenberg produced what I would call real yacht lover yachts! But apparently not for everyone. ;)
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sea Bowld is an Oceanfast/Sorgiovanni design, not Bannenberg. Nice yacht anyway.
  11. discokachina

Sorry, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I think Sorgiovanni does beautiful work too as Sea Bowld is at the front of my hit parade ahead of Mystique, Perfect Persuasion, Obsession, Ocean Seven, and Gazelle.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Was the current incarnation of Bannenberg and Rowell responsible for the current styling these yachts or as it Jon Bannenberg himself who should be credited with creating these unique vessels?
  13. discokachina

Oh, undoubtedly Jon Bannenberg is the designer.

I cut and pasted the Bannenberg and Rowell listing from http://www.***************.com/yachts/details/370 On other Jon Bannenberg designed yachts like Obsession http://www.***************.com/yachts/details/346 Bannenberg and Rowell are listed as the designer as well. So sorry for the confusion.
  14. 84far

84far Senior Member

Jon Bannenberg did some great designs for his time, unfortunately his designs dated because he was designing based on trens in that era... 80's-90's fads.

Far
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think you have missed that Bannenberg was setting the trends of that era, and the coming. More or less every good design today is following in his footsteps. Many of the more famous Designers were also working at Burnsall Street when it all happened...

That said, I don´t love all of his designs. Some boats were not easy to build, to maintain or to handle, as they were breaking many rules. But they started a revolution where Designers replaced Naval Architects when it comes to both exterior styling and interior planning.

Before that, the Designers were only working with interior decoration and most yachts looked the same on the outside.
  16. 84far

84far Senior Member

Like you, there's not much I wouldn't do to get my little mits on some of the boats that he designed... But, there's a few that I still cringe over.

I think a lot of his lines and design features were based on what were popular in that era, Coral Island and Kingdom 5KR ring a few bells.

I think at the moment Wally is setting the trends... Just some thoughts. Cheers

Far
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Coral Island and Nabila (Kingdom) are two of his best designs, with features copied even today.

Wally have a nice line of boats, but I think Agnelli was ahead of them with Stealth (by Frers) and the rib-like tenders.
  18. 84far

84far Senior Member

What! Coral Island has no consistency, and Nabila... very interesting. Both designs are dated. I think Coral Island at the time was the 6th biggest privately owned boat in the world (hence one of his biggest), it's now just scrapping the top 100 :rolleyes: .

What about Carinthia VI (One), that sheerline is stunning! And Limitless, even Rising Sun has a touch of genesis.

Lars, we need a pub and some beers to talk this through :D . Cheers

Far
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t agree. But the sand colour of Kingdom is not doing her justice. Here is a picture of Nabila during sea trials, with her sharp lines, silvery hull, squared portholes, dry stacks in the wings, a tubular mast and what have you. All seen on modern yachts today...

If you´ll come to Sweden, the beers are on me...:)

Attached Files:

20. 84far

84far Senior Member

Haha! I'm just booking the tickets... haven't been to Sweden yet :D .

I haven't seen that photo (looks a lot better). I'll give you the colour, sheerline and the stem on Nabila, I just think it lacks something, the mix of straight edges and curves arn't coming together. Maybe more curves in the roof lines to complement the sheerline and that spoon stern, and possibly less gaps between the windows (longer windows). Hey, nothings perfect right.

The colour... he didn't drive a DMC DeLorean, though the Mclaren F1 car is sporting that same trend... the brushed alloy look.

Far