Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights

White Rabbit and Trimaran Yachts

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by Stephen, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

That is a seriously impressive photo, showing the size reletive to the car.
  2. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Attached Files:

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Since this thread is now about several Trimarans I would like to add another. One of the older that I know of?

When I was young there was a trimaran which was among the fastest boats of her size and right now she was suddenly outside my window again, so I could take a picture. :)

She was built in 1968 by a Lord to offer his guests a fast transport to his Castle outside Stockholm. She is 16 m x 4 m and was cruising at 35 knots when new!

Attached Files:

4. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Not the worst view to have.. :cool:
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Following up on this post... here is a picture of Abeking & Rasmussen's "Bravado", docked at the Marriott today. These are the aluminum plates I referred to. In Florida, we call these... Hurricane Shutters! :D

Attached Files:

6. WestAust

WestAust New Member

At the moment Austal cant get these boats out the door quick enough. They are getting more orders for high speed ferries than they can produce. Apparently during sea trials just off Perth one of the stabilisers on the trimaran broke off. You can imagine the loading on the stabilisers at sea!
  7. YachtForums

Ben,

You're right. The foil certainly doesn't develope lift while the ferry is static. If you examine the cross section of the center hull, it is much like a wave-piercer toward the bow (very narrow), but the hull becomes progressively broader toward the mid and aft sections. These sections will develope lift at speed, but the bow section does not have the same amount of surface area to provide equal lift, therefore a canard-type foil is used to compensate for this.
  8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Another shot of the Pilar Rossi. Gutsey experiment!

Attached Files:

9. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

nice picture; piquet is in the netherlands at this moment with his son for a demonstration with old f1 cars in rotterdam b.t.w.
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Pilar Rossi

It reads that Pilar Rossi is being extended.
    Wouldn't that be a more critical exercise on a vessel of this type?

AMG
    Just noticed another element in your photo of the Lord's 1968 built trimaran.
    You do realise, I hope, that your neighbour's battlement contains a long gun aimed at you.
  11. YachtForums

Whoa! Good eye Codger!
  12. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

i failed to detect the gun; in which part of the picture would that be?
  13. YachtForums

In the "window" of the castle across the canal. You're looking right down the barrel of a cannon. :D
  14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

TriCat

What if the outer hulls evolved to become larger as the center hull became smaller?......the TRICAT by FBM

This is an older tech ferry vessel that was becoming very popular over in Hong Kong in the late 90's when I was working in SE Asia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  15. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

if you mean the middle window; when i change the gamma setting, i see something roundish indeed; if its a gun; radareyes!!! :cool:
  16. YachtForums

If I ever I cruise uncharted waters... I want Codger onboard!
  17. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

in that case; have a 30 feet mast and tie him on top :D (feed every 4 hours for best result)
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Good observation Codger!

It is a cannon, fortunately pointing a couple of degrees south of my house!

The cannonballs are about twice the size of the brain of this PWC-pilot, breaching the 5-knot speed limits close to our Swan-family just a few minutes ago when I looked out... ;)

The old fortress is today a Museum but some of the cannons, a little more modern, are used for shooting salutes at the birthdays of our Royal Family.

Attached Files:

19. YachtForums

Then it would become a wave-piercer. ;)

Joking aside... it's hard to say Brian. There might be a fine line between bridging the gap of a catamaran and mono-hull. Essentially, you end up with a cathedral hull. At that point, you can expect... when the going gets rough... so will your ride.

I'm sure ride quality would be sacrificed in cathedral hull yacht. The only way to avoid this would be narrow hull sections with deep tunnels, but then you would loose interior volume. So far, I think wave-piercers such as New Zealand yacht's "Spirit" pictured below, have managed to straddle this hurdle very well. Although I haven't cruised aboard one, I've heard (or read somewhere) that in certain wave conditions it doesn't handle as favorably as a cat or a monohull. But everything is a trade-off. Spirit offers monohull-like accomodations combined with catamaran stability. The fact that it's a wave-piercer increases its efficiency, i.e. higher cruise speeds, reduced fuel consumption, minimized wake and improved ride in many conditions.

We all know the individual advantanges of multi-hulls and mono-hulls, but they don't always cross platform well. This begs the questions... why hasn't someone developed deployable outriggers for monohulls?

Call it "SOD"... or "Stability On Demand". ;)

Attached Files:

20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Now that you mention it Carl, those do look like outriggers on the Pilar Rossi. Maybe not so "deployable" though.

Kelly
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.