Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Perko

WhisperPower vs Onan

Discussion in 'Generators' started by etang789, May 7, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

The service I received from Northern Lights historically is why I chose Technicold for my chillers. Well, that and quality.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

What gen did you end up going with? Installed yet?
  3. etang789

etang789 Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Well, when 1 of 3 function, you can understand why there's a price reduction. Most likely the business is heavily subsidized by the CCP to impact foreign markets and entrench. But, yes, they'll work 1 time out of 3. Good news is that maybe you get lucky...

18 month warranty or 1500 hours. Good news is that the service technician will arrive shortly after he clears quarantine.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Seems odd to cut corners on such a vital piece of equipment but to each his own. Keep in mind, the engine may say Kubota but it is not the same Kubota you buy elsewhere. It is simply a licensed design and name with parts made and assembled in China. CAT does the same. Our company has 4 large CAT diesel gens on equipment that was made in China. The engines are not the same as what we get here. We have had trouble getting parts to fit and US based CAT dealers don’t want to service them. Best to ask your local Kubota dealer if they will service or provide parts for your proposed engine. And then what about the alternator end? How will you get service and parts? And if you have a failure under warranty what do you do?
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Even free I wouldn’t put a chinese made generator on my boat. No way... not a chance.... it is is too critical to risk it. And then How will you get parts?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That may be hard. I've found that you'll find with most things you buy today that say Made In America you'll find that it's actually only assembled in America. Otherwise it's 2 or 3 times the cost. And yes it's most likely to be "heavily subsidized by the CCP to impact foreign markets and entrench." What are you going to do about it? The cure is way above our pay grade, and so far administration after administration has failed. The latest attempt doing little more than increasing prices to the consumer. You can stand on principle and pay a lot more, but it won't change anything.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not taking the bait
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem with buying the Chinese generator at 1/3 the cost (aside from the quality) is a sheer lack of dealer network and parts and service availability.

Me Personally, I want a high quality generator. NOTHING kills a trip here, than a generator that has failed and no air conditioning, how water, and creature comforts.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely true, and that's what hasn't been asked or discussed. What is the warranty on the Chinese gen? Different product, but good example. I recently bought an "American made" product. The motor was made in Korea and the parts were made in China, but it was assembled in America. Cost was 1/3 less than the all American, more well known competitor (whose parts are also manufactured outside the U.S.). To my surprise the independent reviews and features of my machine turned out to be much better and to my big surprise it came with a 3 year warranty as opposed to the industry standard 1 year. So price should absolutely get your attention, but there's a lot more questions that need to be asked. As for ability to get parts from China (or any other country) there's every chance that's where the part you need from that American company will be coming from, and I think many of us have had to wait for parts from Germany, etc. That just goes with dealing with big machines.
    Mind you I'm not advocating for the OUMA genset. Quite frankly I've never heard of them. Just saying there's more questions to ask beyond the price and where something is manufactured.
    Also, although one may have trouble getting that gen serviced in Ft. Lauderdale will that be the same in Hong Kong where the poster is from?
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  12. etang789

etang789 Member

It is a Made in Japan Kubota V2203 Engine. Kohler genset cooling parts thats Made in Korea. I hope it wont be that bad. The local dealer said they usually sell their generators to construction site, so they have parts available locally.

18 Months or 1500 hours warranty. Yea I know Im taking a chance! But I have asked around and some rental yachts and old style fishing boats are using these for a few years with no problem.

Of course I want a Northern Lights or Onan but I rather spend more on the Cummins for now.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The one question I'd have is about how it'll react to the marine environment.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Fair to say that it will react well as evidenced by its abundant contribution to electrolysis? You know, I can get my head around dealing with sea water intrusion while offshore. I can locate it and at least slow it enough to buy time for help. A fire? Not so much. I've seen too many fires on vessels...
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would NOT do it, given how hard it is to change the generator in your boat. As important as a generator is to create comforts while on a trip. Why skimp on money now?
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

See, I think the issue here is that you "think" you're saving money. In the end it's likely far more expensive, but it's sort of an uncomfortable layaway program. More, just forget about selling her with this thing aboard...
  17. etang789

etang789 Member

Its a marine version
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Other things that need to be considered relate to projected use. Will you run the gen for an hour or two while on the hook or all day? Do you use the boat 50 hours a year or 500? How long do you anticipate owning the boat? From what I know of boat buyers I wouldn't be all that concerned about its effect on resale. Most will be more concerned with whether it has a working gen than the name on it. Yes the guy who chases tuna up and down the coast all year will want the absolute best equipment he can get, but how important is it to the guy who takes his family out for a Sunday cruise once a month during the summer?
  19. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Regardless of the amount of use, I'd wager that the lighter the use the worse for this product. On boats, it's always a formula of less use amounting to more problems.

With Chinese products, concerns are always on reliability, service, parts, and general integrity of alloys. Chinese stainless has a name for a reason. It's 40% recycled cars. No, I wouldn't do it as the risk is too great, the inconvenience of problems too uncomfortable, and resale valuation is badly impacted.

But my hunch here is that the decision is made and the buyer is seeking support for his decision.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would absolutely tell any of my clients that it is a negative and to reduce price or avoid buying the boat entirely depending on how difficult it is to remove/replace. It's the inconvenience factory and how do you get parts/service. Also If I see someone clearly skimped on a major component, where else did they skimp.

ALSO- how noisy is it?