Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Which 3D rendering engine/CAD combination

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by BjornS, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ratrace2

ratrace2 New Member

V-ray should be about $800.........I'll look for a link for you......I found it

Look for ASGvis.com. "V-ray for Rhino Plug-in: $799.

That is the parent/home page for v-ray. There, you can see the galleries and get product downloads and "all that".....Plus a 30-day Demo.............
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

Paolo
    im on a laptop cause i can up and go as easy as that. i had a part time job at a boat building company last year and the available computers that i could work with... well they were below par... probably work off dos, so the laptop worked good in that respect. but thanks to the recession i was only there for a couple of months before they ran out of work for me

the laptop is a clean tool to work with and in a situation like mine where i dont know where the next work will come from its very handy to have the freedom to move around.
    plus i really want to try and find some work in the US or UK. being in Australia the only thing big down here is riviera or the company i was working for.
    so until i start up my own studio and hopefully have a neat little setup like yours and lars, i will rely on the laptop.

far
  3. 84far

84far Senior Member

Lars... 1tb, mother of god! u could run some weapon of a system. but sounds like u like the laptop as well. it would be nice using the bigger screen, and your little setup looks great... i can see the boats from here! and see that your on Y/F on the laptop
    also Lars, i looked at your work on Y/F, but have noticed that its all 2D, have u got any 3D work on Y/F. i would like to see the work in full. as in get a feel of width and depth of your boats, how much flare your running etc

far

p.s the boats u have on the big screen, the navy one is my fav, i have a feeling its the same as the one below it, but very nice.
  4. 84far

84far Senior Member

ratrace, ha! i looked at that webpage and saw the listing for $4900, and didnt scrole down enough. but yep i see it now, and that price is pretty good to (now saved to favs). ill have to get on to that in the next couple of weeks.

also a big thanks to everyone for the help. your all top blokes and hopefully soon ill be able to repay the fav.

cheers!
    far:D
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Far, I don´t work in 3D at all, we are just using it for surface modelling for cnc-milling. I am drawing the frames in 2D.

We are developing a new boat so fast that it would take longer to build a 3D rendering than the boat I am afraid. The good thing I can see with 3D renderings is that it is easier to debunk a bad design... :)
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

Lars, I would have to agree. It is faster to do a 2D instead of a 3D, and thats what I mostly work with. But I got Rhino late last year and personally it´s worth the extra troubles, it does all of your Top, Front, Side, and Perspective, and as you say you know when you have a dud or not with the Perspective. the thing is you know how much flare will suit the boat, or the length of the cabin compared to the length of the hull. But then again it comes down to experience and learning from mistakes.

cheers champ

far:D