Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Which 3D rendering engine/CAD combination

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by BjornS, Oct 28, 2008.

1. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) At least your brain works in 3-D Lars, thats the main thing. Everything else comes down to delegation.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Codog, and as long as others are doing it better, why not. The only thing I am missing by not doing it myself, is that I have to wait for the 3D to be sure I have got the hull right...

BTW, is it your boat in the avatar?
  3. ratrace2

ratrace2 New Member

Wow, you got some "really deep" designs in the pipeline.......good show....."Chess" is really hot.
  4. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

No, its not mine. It is an Inchcape 40 or 45. (Sorry for the slight thread detour) They came in various lengths, were designed initially by J. Frances Jones and later on by Jim Evans, and built by the now defunct Eyemouth Boatbuilding Co. in Berwickshire Scotland...ran from the 1960s through to mid 1970s. Based on MFV hulls typical to the east coast of Scotland and other areas of the UK.
    I served my apprenticeship building these and other true MFVs from '75 through '79 and I chose it as my avatar as it represents the beginning of my career.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, it is a very nice type of yacht anyway, perhaps this is how the future of yachting will look like? Seaworthy and able to sail, then you can have all modernities inside.
  6. pavel59

pavel59 New Member

Hi AMG, first of all I have to say I like your designs and I think You're right in using the tool you feel most comfortable with.
    Beside that, it mostly depends on which level of detailing are you requested by your customers or yard.

When a true 3D detailing becomes necessary, then it's time to move on another software and Rhino is definitely the best for the money. And it's an all-purpose 3D modeling software.

Then if you're a naval architect or engineer, maybe you need some hydrostatics and hydrodynamics to be evaluated together with other boat characteristics and performances. There're also a variety of software which may be useful, from some free available nline to some very expensive highend packages.
    Maxsurf one of the most widely used on the high-end, Delftshp is another excellent package (very similar to MS) but at a very cheap price and very easy to use.

Do you need mode sophisticated detailing and production drafting? Then you've a wide choice from Solidworks to Catia to UG/NX and some others.
    Be ready to draw quite a lot of cash out of your pocket, however.
    (some years ago I purchased an SDRC I-DEAS license on purpose for a specific project. Now that SDRC had been aquired by UG I found myself almost unsupported and updating would cost me more than purchasing a new NX license).

If your business is in the photorealistic visualization and animation, than it's time to go on Maya, 3D Max, Cinema.

However, Rhino is very capable of interfacing with excellent renderers like MaxwellRender (the one I use), VRay, Fryrender and some others.
    To achieve extremely photorealistic wave and sray effects from Rhino you may want to check NextLimits RealFlow (awarded with the Oscar for their natural special FX last year).
    It's quite cheap as well.

But the most important tools, however, are still your brain and your hands,.
    Just dodn't forget that software and formulas are just tools, but the skills are all in your head.

BTW - I work pretty close to Fincantieri and have had some minor business with them and I'll probably have more in the future.
    I would only point out that - for what I know - they don't actually need to use web forums to test market their new product line. Fincantieri is recognized as - probably - the most important cruise ship builder in the world, they recently decided to enter the megayacht market (pretty close to their current market by size) and they had a number of incoming projects (four or five if I'm not wrong).
    Some of their customers had various issues which forced the projects on hold.
    Beside that, it's not uncommon that such a huge company (with thousands of employees) some times delay already planned and announced projects.

I know that, pretty often, the forums' posts are populated by "strange" subjects with hidden interests in supporting or demolishing certain products or companies. However, I feel YachForums' post a bit too rude and over reacting. I couldn't see any special interest in Bjorg's requests.

Paolo
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Paolo, we are already using Rhino and Solidworks in our team, it is just me who can´t use them. And as I said, I don´t like photorealistic renderings either...:)

But luckily most people are not like me and I am sure they appreciate your comprehensive overview and advice on software.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

That's true and therefore the reason why I was suspect of this thread originally. I think the moderators of YF have done an exemplary job of maintaining the purity of this medium.

Pavel, you're relatively new here, so I'll go out on a limb and suggest I may have a little more experience with this than you. At least a dozen new 'leaders' are attempted on YF each week and they have a VERY similar pattern. Bjorn's original posts replicated exactly the same scenario, but his response was fair. Was it rude? Maybe, but I'd do it again. I have no time and no respect for those that are here to manipulate our medium.
  9. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Hi Jerry

I've been out of the office for a while, and it took me a while to get back with comments.

I have looked at the various packages you mentioned, and I was thinking 3DsMax could be the one - until I found it does not support the OS X platform ... which I use exlusively. Realizing only now that I forgot to mention this point in the past (blush again) ... and thinking that the entire pro creative world is working on Macs, but that may not be the case I guess. ;)

Maya - it seems to be marketed more towards moving pictures, animation and broadcasts. Not sure if it fits the bill for this purpose. But again - I don't know for sure. Expensive as well. My budget is definitely not unlimited, but finding the right quality package combined with a user-friendly experience, I will try for the better of the bunch.

Rhino is also not OS X compatible - yet. They say an OS X version is in the pipeline in a year or so. They state Rhino can be run on an Intel Mac with Bootcamp or Parallels, but there is no way in hell I am going to install any Microsoft OS on my Mac (viruses be gone). ;)

Alibre - all Windows based, so that is a no go for me. Looking at their gallery pages, it has a similar feel to Rhino, but perhaps a bit less advanced(?).

Sooo ... I am thinking Maxon's Cinema4D, which is built for both OS X and Windows. It seems the application is similar to 3DsMax. I could be wrong. Cinema4D designs looks pretty good as well. Do you have any experience with Cinema4D, or maybe heard from someone who does?

Thanx again for your input, and I do appreciate all your guidance.

Bjorn
  10. BjornS

BjornS New Member

CODOG

Thanx for your participation as well.

Unigraphics - or now NX(6?) by Siemens? I was not familiar with that software. Siemens - is it expensive?

What you mention about that software is interesting that the file size stays relatively small as details are added compared to perhaps others like Rhino. My work would be more toward the conceptual, but partly towards the technical as well ... for real world solutions so as not to blindly go overboard with the conceptual only.

Mental Ray, V-Ray, Maxwell ... I see that various people have different opinions on various renderers. I wonder if this is do to with designers expectations, personal experiences, needs, or user friendliness when having opinions on the various renderers? Can you elaborate a little why you feel the Maxwell is better than the other two? Also - which renderer provide more realistic textures, lighting environments, contrasts (real world / photographic)? I understand it has a lot to do with the artist using the software, but it probably also have something to do with the technical workings of the software itself.

Looking at the official web galleries of each one of the above renderers, most seem to have the qualities I am looking for. Chaosgroup's VRay (galleries) is most amazing and impressive. The Maxwell galleries are great too. The two seem to have a slight difference in look - VRay seem to have a more "dreamy" quality to it. Maybe it is just me. Of the three, I am the least impressed with the Mental Ray galleries, but that may just have to do with the fact that those images may be the only ones that company have managed to get hold of to showcase on their site. Who knows.

Another website showcases the Cinema4D and V-ray combo - the interior house designs are most realistic and excellent in execution. Probably also great for (super)yacht interiors, but I wonder if that would be true for yacht exterior surfaces, water and environments as well? I could end up using a combination of real world photography and 3D, but preferably it should be all done in the 3D environment.

I would have added links to all these application pages above to show what I am referring too, but I don't dare too.

These are questions I just openly ask myself and others like yourself. :)

Any input is appreciated.

Bjorn
  11. ratrace2

ratrace2 New Member

Cinema4D:

Bjorn,

Although, I have never used Cinema4D, I have heard of it quite abit, and seen some "fairly" good work done with the packeage.
  12. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Lars

I think you have stated in other posts that you use Freehand or Illustrator for your personal designs. Do you ever work with Photoshop as well?

I think 'organic' renderings - anything from a quick sketch to a final rendering (by hand) on paper or a hard surface - has no competition from 3D rendered images. This whether they be 2D or 3D. Hand drawn renderings have a much more personal touch than any computer rendering.

Computer aided "hand" drawings can not compete with the graphite or pen on paper either. Most stuff done on a computer - well - end up having that digital or computer feel. No personal wimsy involved. They are just so different. One may be considered fine art on one end, while the other - probably - always will remain a commercial looking digital product.

One day - probably - our hands and minds will be integrated into the 3D design and art realm by thought!

You say you tried Rhino on the Mac. Windows installed w Bootcamp or Parallels?

Bjorn
  13. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Paolo

I enjoyed your input very much. And I learned more from it.

Your professional experiences and you sharing info here is much appreciated. I understand about confidential issues working with various studios, yards and offices, but whatever you can share down the road is obviously most appreciated.

You have recommended another renderer, which I personally had not heard of before. The 'RandomControl's fryrender' seems excellent. Great galleries. Really good realism. I like the ligthing effects - especially the way it simulates daylight and light direction (global and directional). And it's not over the top priced either. But - again [%*#@ª|∞‡] - it is Windows platform based only. Oh well, one day - maybe - they will see the light, and come waltzing over to the Mac OS X platform! Others have already done so, and hopefully they will too. Soon. **** it. Soon. The fryrender - is it hardware based? They mentioned something to that fact on their website, but I am not sure if I understand it right.

Anyhow, there seem to be something missing from most - if not all - renderers. Namely the ability to simulate perfect glass. The surface of glass and reflections of glass, that is. Rendered glass I have seen so far have some type of texture or 'noise' added to the glass surfaces. Sometimes maybe because this 'noise' has been added to the overall image, but other times because it has been added to the glass itself. This may be done to add some type of surface to the glass? This "noise" sort of mimics one of the filters in Adobe Photoshop that is called "Noise" (Filter > Noise > Add Noise). Even in the most advanced and realistic 3D imagery, glass seems to be a very hard thing to create or render. Porcelain, high gloss paint, stainless, etc seems to have no problems. Maybe when it comes down to the combination of translucency and high gloss surfaces that glass can be a problem? Again, I may be wrong, but it seems prevalent throughout that glass is a challenge to most. Is this a basic limitation with most renderers maybe?

Looking forward to your future posts as well.

Bjorn
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Björn, I got a trial version of Rhino for Mac. I was interested in this basically for adjusting and checking Rhino surfaces made by a collegue without asking for help each time.

To make it clear, I am not interested in illustrations, just design. With Freehand I can do everything in 2D including 2D illustrations for print, but it is basically the line drawings I work with.

At this point, with more than 20 years of Freehand use, I must say that using a pen on paper is like walking compared to flying. It can be good when you need to come up with ideas, but far too slow when you start to make a realistic design. In Freehand I can make alterations in seconds instead of erasing and starting all over time and time again.

I am not using Photoshop of this same reason, I have no need for it.
  15. pavel59

pavel59 New Member

Bjorn,
    Maxwellrender and Fryrender are both unbiased photorealistic renderings.
    They do not simulate but actually calculate light on objects and materials.
    They're actually capable of rendering almost perfect glass.

I don't remember about Fryrender, but Maxwellrender is multi-platform (Windows, OS/X, Linux) and offers plugins for most of the CAD and 3D applications available on the market.

Rhino for the Mac is making a lot of expectations. I'm not really a Mac user but I had a chance to work on Mac pro for a period and I must admit Rhino - over dual boot XP - works incredibly well and quick on the Mac platform.
    It also works pretty well on the parallel.

However, I would make you focus on the creative side of the job much more than on any of the technical aspects.
    Any tool is just a tool and cannot add anything to the quality of your job.

Sometimes looking for the perfect tool may distract and subtract attention, resources and precious time to the creative job.

Just look for new and fresh inspiration and pursue a constant improvement of your skills and presentation techniques.

Paolo
  16. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Lars

My experience with Photoshop is going on 17-18 years. It is my default application. I guess we all have our darling applications we fall back on when we need to get things done our way. And it's a pain to learn new software all the time.

Your future software decisions may be forced since Adobe no longer develops Freehand, and the last version does not support Macs with Intel processors.

Bjørn
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I know and it is a shame as they try to get all Freehand users to be Illy users. But luckily I have the last PowerBook G4 before Intel and I just bought another one to feel safe until I retire. I have it coupled to a 30 inch Cinema screen and is working with the last version of Freehand MX. Adobe Illustrator I gave up on many years ago... :mad: Why drive a Trabant when there are AMG:s....:D
  18. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Paolo

Ah, yes. Calculations of light and reflections on surfaces. That is important. Being a pro photographer as well, light (and therefore shadow) is at the forefront of everything I see and do. This is why I am so intent to find and work with a 3D package that creates full blown realism. I will look into both of those renderers

Since a lot of people are talking about the up and coming Rhino for Mac (some time this year?), I will have to find a way to try it somehow somewhere. Do you have any experience with Cinema4D?

Agreed. The creative or artistic side is of course the most important to any great result. The rest is just ... technical. :)

Bjorn
  19. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Back-ups, back-ups, back-ups ... :D Funny with the back-up G4. Whatever works, I say.

I am envious about the 30 inch Lars. That is my next one to get as well, unless they come out with a larger one (which would be even better - for me - but not the environment).

Talking about Trabants and AMGs ... you know - I once (many years ago) saw a couple in a French registered 2CV try to drive up a steep mountain side - on Tronfjell in Norway. They could not do it driving forward. Why? Because the car had no direct fuel injection system. The fuel did not reach the engine because of the angle of the hill. They had to roll back down to a more flat surface, turn the vehicle around, and drive back up the steep hill in reverse so that the fuel would flow by gravity into the engine. Regardless, it was a treat to observe those two trying their best to traverse the very rugged an dangerous mountain path (gravel and rock only) with their shaky little vehicle.

Bjørn
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is fun with the 30" besides the 17" where the cursor moves/jumps between the screens like magic..

When I was young i drove my Mini Cooper up a Ski Pist backwards, not because of fuel problems, but front wheel driven cars has always been better climbing backwards....:)