Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

What's your favorite yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2004.

1. catmando

catmando Senior Member

My favorite is that 200' trimaran(forgot the name). I also like the new Palmer Johnson 150' and the 120' Cover Drive.
  2. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Of course, if money were no object, one could always turn to Lars and have him build "Double Bling". The design is simply stunning, not to mention the fact that you will be the envy of everyone else.:)
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ditto Arnie! BLING baby, BLING! :cool:

Attached Files:

4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am happy to see Bling on stage again! I was thinking, maybe we could collect some funds from the YachtForums 3.000 members and build her? But after counting several times I found out that we would have to raise USD 100.000 each... :eek:

Unbelievable how much money 300 m is!?!:confused: :)
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I just want to know what flavor of heli is supposed to use the aft deck, with the 3-prong pattern? UFO? ;)
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

No Kelly, rather the opposite. This is where King Neptune is holding his court for those who is crossing the equator the first time...;)
  7. catmando

catmando Senior Member

8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I'm very taken with the trimaran concept on White Rabbit. Just wish they had been more adventurous in the design of the superstructure.

Kelly
  9. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Ditto Kelly, another deck ontop would sort out any visual issues with height verses beam.
  10. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Now you've done it......

I'll take...

"1. If money were no object, what yacht would you most like to have?"

for $300mil please...

Warning, long winded post follows...;)

As I see it, you either go for a Harbor-Hopper 150-200ft, or you go for broke and end up with a yacht in the 400-500ft range.

A Harbor-Hopper, for me, would have minimal tenders, helicopter landing pad but no hanger and large outdoor areas, say like Wedge Too and Utopia.
    My reasoning is that if your at a berth, you don't need a tender, you can hire a helicopter, and your probably in the warmer areas, so outdoors is the nicest place to be.
    It's your own floating accommodation/base, for exploring the city.
    If you feel like parking in a secluded cove, the yacht will most likely fit, so you can park where you want, and use it as your dive base.

For myself, if I want to explore a city, I'll most likely stay in a hotel.

This means I can design my yacht for the sea, not a harbor.

So the draft is going to be big, but I wonder how much difference that will make.
    A full ice-classsed (A1 I think) explorer type yacht of over 300ft is going to have a draft of over 4- 4.5 mtrs, so I figure you might as well go for 450ft and 6 mtrs as far as access goes (I'm open to speculation on this one).
    I'd start with something like the bluff, masculine, but a bit to business like, Octopus, keep ALL the toys, then combine it with the clean, gracefull, but almost plane lines of Rising Sun.
    Hopefully ending up with something sturdy and explorer like, but with a bit more grace and warmth. And LOTS of BIG windows.:)

She would need room for the whole family to celebrate important dates (over 30 guests), by the time I get around to building her hydrogen power will probably be an option :)) ), so I'd go that way.
    If not, I'd go diesel- electric so I can easily convert to hydrogen later.

To me it makes sense that a large explorer yacht have a big (50-70ft) tender to take a small party on overnight trips where the mother ship can't fit.
    To be used for diving, sight seeing or private getaways.
    The yacht will have to anchor off shore, so the tender also needs decent sea keeping abilities.

Which leaves me with the outdoor areas.
    Outdoor activities would largely be centred around one main, highly fexible area in order to allow it to be used weather crushing ice in the arctic or exploring the islands of Bora Bora. This area would ideally be a good portion of the top deck of the yacht, with it's main features being.....
    A large pool with a bottom that can raise up level with the rest of the deck.
    Glass roof and walls, both fully retracable, but independently from each other (sun to hot? close roof, cold wind? close walls, in the arctic? close both) and both electro cromatic (darkening).
    Retracable screen and projector, so the whole area can be used as an outdoor cinema (open or inclosed, pool operational or raised).

I hope she doesn't end up looking like Al Sahlama (sp?)

Still with me?;) :D

I encourage discusion.:)
  11. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Nothing too fancy then Ben? :D
    lol
  12. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Phew thanks Jon, I wasn't sure anyone would read the lot, and if they did, understand any of it.

I just typed away as it came out, but I'm sure you can't tell.;)

So, no......just a little runabout really.
  13. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Yeah, me too, nothing too fancy you know, just something i can conquer all 7 continents in! :D
    See :)
  14. tomsheehan

tomsheehan New Member

Hinckley Picnic/ Talaria

In my opinion, the classiest and most beautiful boats in the world.
    If you know how to use a mouse on a computer, the Hinckley engineering on these vessels will allow you to put the boat on a dock or in a slip.
    I work on a 80, and Id rather just own a Picnic or a Talaria.
  15. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

I'm with you here; gorgeous boats and small technical jewels :)
  16. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I knew something didn't look quite right about that yacht.
  17. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I like low profile designs. So another full deck was not what I had in mind for White Rabbit. Though a racy little bridge might be in order. My objection to the superstructure on White Rabbit is that it looks to boxy. Could use more curves. And shifting the upper deck toward the bow a bit to enlarge the open deck aft of it might be in order too. Nor does the upper deck need to be the full width of the beam, IMHO. At least not for its entire length.

fussy Kelly
  18. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

The more I look at it, the more I think I like to put my favorite interior lay out in BLING from AMG (Lars).......one request : would you please remove the dome on one of the aft upper decks because it spoils my outside view from my bedroom :) :)
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Then you will miss the Bling effect when the light show starts in the dome! ;)