Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for JetForums

What's your favorite yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2004.

1. calicaptain

calicaptain New Member

That is probably one of the best yacht photos i have ever seen. Someone should make a yacht magazine crossed with maxim or Playboy models. Kind of like they do with cars and motorcycles.
    As for a boat, I really like the layout of Lady Lola, lots of deck space. However I am not a big fan of the Oceanco lines. Lady Lola also has some sick tenders in side bay hatchs. I also like the look and the toys of Senses, great ammenities, but not the size of Octopus or Tatoosh. I also find a cockpit is a great place to hang on a boat. Delta built a boat called Affinity that is one of my favorite boats. Big bow, sportfish on deck, cockpit, green hull and only around 150 ft.
  2. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Beautifully crafted surfacing... the boats nice too! ;)
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Seriously, I've always found it curious that so few yards even use any people (not just hot, topless blonds) in their advertisements or sites. Yachting seems to be such a lifestyle thing (the yachts, the cars, the watches, the designer cell-phones, the fashion, etc.) yet it's very rare to see people in magazines actually enjoying life on the yachts. Ocassionally you'll see a feature with perhaps a few people sitting around the stern swim-platform... but that's it.

Wally is one of the few that uses people in their pics. Just look at the launch pics of the Lunch Boat a couple of months back... people all over the place.

Aside from Wally, I can only think of Azimut using a model in one of their ads... the one about the 12 million gallon pool, or something like that. :)
  4. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Lady Lola has indeed a great layout, but I would not call (as done in may reviews) it very original, because Double Haven (Feadship/DeVries,1993!!!) had already a similar layout. I think the late Gerhard Gilgengast was involved in thatdesign.
  5. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Kevin is right. Not only people in pictures are interesting, but also the stories of people behind a design. In my view, the success of naval archtitecture and design is the way a designer translated the owners' ideas into that design. So, I am always very curious why a certain layout or style was chosen by the owner.

By the way : one of the nicest website with "people on board" is that of the Feadship Utopia, and I am referring to the movies on that site.
  6. tyrusg

tyrusg New Member

i'm with you, wilson, but i'd take the 7800 series.

Attached Files:

7. killagorilla

killagorilla New Member

wow guys alot of really nice boats listed on these pages, i would hate to reiterrate several others by pointing out wally 118 but, i mean it is simply that good looking and impressive it deserves a few fans. i don't know enough of the boats names yet to share my ideas, but i like sleek clean lines and simple elegance. actually several of the boats from the wally website would have to make my list including the wallytender. even though it is meant to be a runabout for a larger ship, i can see using this as a great boat to cruise florida waterways or inland in lakes or wherever with multiple functions and reasonable pricing
  8. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Killagorilla made a very good point here, and that is, that he is talking about where you use your boat and for which purpose.
    Dreaming of favorite yachts like the Octopusses, the Limitlesses and the Ilona's is nice (I do like that too!) , but in reality choosing a yacht comes down to budget of course, but also on deciding your cruising ground (worldwide travelling or inland cruising ??? do you want to enter as much harbours as possible > watch the size of your yacht! et etc) and what are you using your boat for (afternoon trips ? floating holiday house ? exploring Alaska ? etc etc).
  9. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

But suppose the oceans were my cruising ground and my budget had no limits, I would go for :

Ilona IV as the best motor yacht
    (I love her lay out)
    (although I like Northern Star and Senses also very much....)

Syl as the best daysailer, but for world cruising I have to change my mind to Juliet

And as the best of both worlds (motorboat comfort and sailing fun :) Athena!

But.....in reality I am very happy with my own boat.....
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right Kalmeran. When Carl started this thread, the questions were as follows:

"What's your favorite yacht?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. If money were no object, what yacht would you most like to have?
    2. Staying within reasonable financial means, what would be your choice?

So, what's your favorite yacht or boat? And why?"

Which means we can include the yacht/boat we think is realistic for our personal use and cruising grounds.
  11. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

You can see in post # 117 I did my home work :) :)
  12. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Lars - Loving the festive Avatar! ;)

Back on topic -
    If money was no object I'd certainly take the following aspects:

- the sharpe clean exterior of Princess Mariana, including the underwater lights ;)
    - the interior of Yalla, especially that gorgeous cubby-hole couch :)
    - the top deck space of Galaxy
    - the toys of Octopus (except maybe change the basket ball court for a small pitch and put ;) )
    - and the engineering inginuity of Air

If money was an option, and a small superyacht was on the bill, then it would definitly be a tussle between Pershings 115 and Sunseeker Predator 108. As much as i love looking at Wally's i'm really unsure as to their practicality, especially the interior of the Wallpower 118. This doesnt mean i don't admire them and the designers.

In a real world I would probably go for:
    - Fairline Sqaudron 66
    - Sealine T60

and for personal reasons i wouldnt mind the Sealine SC29 [​IMG] :D
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  13. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

If money were no object, Derecktor's new 80meter. Her design is just breathtaking.
    For an all-around, go-anywhere vessel - Delta Marine's Triton ... a perfect combination of form and function.
    For a more modest budget - Sunseeker's Predator 62.
  14. JonS

JonS Senior Member

I've changed my mind :D I want the deck space of Y701! ;)
  15. KCook

KCook Senior Member

"Vote early, vote often" . . . right? ;) I'm already changing my "practical" choice. Only I'm undecided between completely different types -

Sport yacht

Trawler

Is this a "bi-polar" disorder? :D
    Kelly
  16. TRY

TRY Senior Member

A bit late in this discussion

Surprising perhaps:
    My vote goes definitely to "Golden Shadow".
    With that little sis you go where you want, when you want, take with you whatever you want, whomever you want, and bring all that back safely!

On top of all that she has the best and biggest bathing platform I know.
    She's at Blohm & Voss with her big mother now.
  17. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

My absolutly dream: Sailingyacht Red Dragon (x-African Queen) (by Vitters) with a interior of Pheonix (by Leight Notika), Lady Lola or Gimlä and a ice breaking shadow boat with heli support, an expedition style SUV and some tender boats. All boats must be powered by fuel cells. :)
  18. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Respect your choice,TRY, but...oops...where do I land my helicopter on GS??
    Perhaps B+V (once the boat is there) can add a nice helipad ??:)
  19. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

I'd like to add ... for the ultimate in safety and go-anywhere capability, a civilian (i.e. luxury) version of the GLIB (Great Lakes Ice Breaker) would be very nice to have.

Please see:

http://www.mightymac.org/mackinawlaunch1.htm
  20. JonS

JonS Senior Member

I think we'd all like a piece of that! That would send those nasty pirate types packin'! :)