Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

What's your favorite yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2004.

1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I remember when I met with Sunseekers Robert Braithwaite over a lunch at the Genua Boatshow in 1980 or so. I was trying to convince him that he should build a closed hardtop on his DC-boats, which was up to 31´at that time. He thought I was crazy, it is S-U-N-seekers he said! Not in the rain and mosquito-land of Sweden I replied and made a drawing on my paper napkin for him.

It then took some years before the first Predator was launched, so I will not take any credit at all, but at least I remember that he kept the napkin... :)
    /Lars
  2. Remy

Remy New Member

I am glad to read that you all like Sunseeker's range.

I have been sailing many times on a Sunseeker Predator 63 with shaft drives, she handles like a 8m boat, this is amazing how reactive she is. A true excitement !!!
  3. promoceanmodels

promoceanmodels Member

I like very much the old Bannenberg-yacht ACAJOU, from french yard Esterel. And, cause I am a modelbuilder, I did my own radiocontrolled modelyacht:

Attached Files:

4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Nice looking model.... how long is it?

I've been thinking about summer coming up soon myself and have been considering getting into RC boating. I did cars for a few seasons, was great fun.
  5. promoceanmodels

promoceanmodels Member

Thank you for the compliment.
    The model is built in scale 1/30, so the loa is 1,3m. Hull is mahaghony planked glassfibre and the superstructure is made from plasticsheets. The model is powered by 2 electric motors. They will give a max speed of 10 kts.
    If someone is interested in a model of his dreamyacht, have a look at my homepage.
  6. arise

arise New Member

tough luck for ACAJOU

Unfortunately my friend your favourite yacht suffered a total loss damage during a "thunder"storm when she was moored in a marina in Greece.In the picture below she is struggling with the waves and after a while she ended up on the shore and the rocks. As you already know the yacht had a wooden hull so now it is completely destroyed. I 'm sorry for be the one telling you the bad news.

Attached Files:

7. promoceanmodels

promoceanmodels Member

Hello >arise<,

this is a very impressive pic for me, but the superstructure of the yacht in the waves don't look like the Acajou.

Regards,
    Ernst
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, you are right, Acajou is somewhere in the background but I have seen some pictures of her after the storm. She looks really sad, half sunken and damaged all around. Can probably be repaired, but I also think it would be cheaper for the insurance to write her off. I hope the insurance will cover all of the boats damaged since the break-water was fallin apart by the heavy sea and there was not easy to escape...

BTW, the yacht was now varnished also in the bow where she used to be white as your model, as well as the aft part of the hullsides.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Here's a sad picture. :(

Attached Files:

10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

11. promoceanmodels

promoceanmodels Member

@kevin

Thank you for these sad pics.
    A dream is gone...
  12. Jason meridian

Jason meridian New Member

Hands down, my all around favorite is the Wally. It's right out of a James Bond movie.

Attached Files:

• wall.jpg
      wall.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  13. speeder

speeder New Member

cool. Another who likes the wally. The only disadvantage is the price :(

edit: And that you can`t drive over the atlantic without a oiltransporter next to you.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  14. Wilson

Wilson New Member

15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

At 8 knots running on only the diesels I thought it could. :confused:

In any case... who cares? LOL When you look that cool why would you want to spend time in the middle of the ocean where nobody can see you? ;)
  16. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Lars you are the MAN! :D
  17. nilo

nilo Senior Member

i would like to speculate on lars' comments on the sunseeker. i believe the dream boat is the boat that suits best to the environement that the owner is planning to use the boat.

if you are cruising in north european waters, one needs lots of closed space, hence the design needs to address to this requirement. if you are in the east med, you need a lot of outside space with good shades, and the dream changes.
  18. dartanyan

dartanyan New Member

Definitely A Z I M U T :cool:

I LOVE AZIMUT

especially 62, 55 and 50 ,not big & not small.
  19. techmati

techmati Senior Member

i am european but Palmer Johnson are doing some great work so i would have to say COVER DRIVE
  20. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'd have to rank the new PJ's right up there too, but they are actually Italian designed (Nuvolari & Lenard), as is the new Oceanco Y701 and the Carver Marquis series. ;)

Can't wait to see the Y701! We may be getting some pre-production pictures from the factory, so we can follow along the building process. :)