Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Westport

What's your favorite yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2004.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The one you're referring to is undoubtedly the 167' Feadship (at least that was my favorite of all his yachts) owned by the late Jim ***** who owned innumerable yachts in his lifetime, all called Gallant Lady. Although it's not proper etiquette to mention the owners name I note it here to honor him (posthumously) for his contributions to yachting. When the mega's left F.L. in spring she remained, enabling me to give the summer tourists on my boat a glimpse of what is there in winter. P.S. She later became the Detroit Eagle.
  2. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

I believe that the 167' 1988 Gallant Lady was renamed Royal Pacific and is now called Ice Bear.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's hard to keep track of all the Gallent Ladys, but Ice Bear is not the one I was referring to which I believe was built in 86 or 87. She's the one that was kept outside the Mariott in F.L. through the early 90's, had the fighting chair (which always gave me a chuckle) and since became the Detroit Eagle and was kept up in Newport for several years. DK, but it may still be there, but I don't find her under that name anymore.
  4. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

There have been eight Gallant Ladies so far as I know and seven of them are Feadships:

The first was a 87 footer in 1984 and I don't know what her name is now.

Number two was 131 feet in 1985 and is now called Sea Ghost

Number three in 1988 called Ice Bear now

The 1988 116 foot sportfish now called Ozark Lady

The 1992 130 foot now called Never Enough.

The last two are still Gallant Lady and owned by the Morans.

Detroit Eagle was launched in 2001 as Detroit Eagle and is now called Sea Racer
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Oh no, you've lost 50 or 80 boats going all the way down to a little Tiara, a 110 that he used to keep in front of the house and a few SF's. He had I believe 6 or 8 at one time during the early 90's. The Detroit Eagle you refer to was RP's boat subsequent to buying *****'s Gallant Lady which RP had through at least the late 90's.
    The G.L. I refer to had the long foredeck with the hili-pad (which I don't think was ever used) which raised to reveal the tender garage where he kept a beautiful Riva and another tender. It had the skylounge with a fiberoptic skyscape before they were common, a beautiful dining table for 18 and that fighting chair in the cockpit. We used to joke that the chef would have the fish turned into sushi before it hit the deck.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Before I get chastised for the "missing 50 to 80 yachts" comment let me correct myself with this quote from a prominent boating magazine upon Mr. *****'s passing: On April 24 the yachting community lost not only one of its most prolific—and proudest—owners but also one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Jim *****, whose love affair with boats spanned more than 60 years and encompassed more than 200 vessels christened Gallant Lady—including eight Feadships and one Delta—died at the age of 88.
  7. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Gallant Lady

OK time for a picture. This GL?:

Attached Files:

8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The last Gallant Lady is from 2006/2007 and looks almost identical to the vessel before her exept that her stepped forward decks are more pointed than the rounded version from 1995 I think.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's been a while, but that's her. When I first moved back north I used to keep her sales brochure in my briefcase just to remind me of what real yachts look like. She was purchased by RP about 95 or 96 and took the name Detroit Eagle. Is that the one you were tinking of Buffalo Hunter?
  10. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

NYCAP, I think this is your yacht..?

Attached Files:

12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wish it were:D , but no. That looks like his 110 Delta. The Ice Bear may be it, although the only parts that look right were the skylounge and crows nest. Maybe it's just my bad taste, but the refit breaks my heart.
  13. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

As of recently, I've been a very big fan of the Calixas 105'
    So much a fan, we're trying to get to Austin to visit their facility. Everything I've read about the boat has been stellar, and I've been itching to talk face to face with the Calixias boys and get additional details on hull number 2 and 3. (hull number 2 is under construction now as I understand it)

Next to that, I'd say the Ferretti 88' Love the wide open top deck.

An honorable mention would be a 118' Benetti / Azimut (boat name is Shalimar) which we spent 2 weeks on in the Carib. a couple of years ago as a charter. She was quite a boat as well.
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, but the yacht I showed above is the yacht RP bought and renamed Detroit Eagle. I (and Michael Peters) was invited by A&R to design the replacement, but RP had a new Feadship built instead...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Been away from that world for 12 years now so I'm not betting the bank on histories, but the yacht shown by castlerock is the one I was originally referring to as the one I believed Buffulo Hunter was referring to. Her home was the dock in front of Mariott beside the old 17 St. bridge. The one you showed was generally kept in front of his house.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

And both the 167' Gallant Lady and the 116' Gallant Lady were delivered in 1988 from Feadship..!
  17. SAB

SAB New Member

I always thought the 2001 Galant Lady (161') an interesting design; her owner wanted an upper deck Sstr full width only to one side (stbd) and you could walk outside to port!
  18. Floatby

Floatby New Member

gotta love tradition

for a boat with no crew and just my dear wife and I - Nordhavn 72 forward bridge

for crewed:

Norther Star

or that modern take on the classic old yacht lines. Saw it in SuperYacht mag or some such ~300' and gorgeous wood interior. Anybody know the one I'm referring to? A gaming CEO started his own boat yard to build it. Neal somebody? Forgive my bad memory! Now the name escapes me.
  19. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Funny how this thread was bumped quite some time later. I saw it in my "new posts" click and saw that I replied to it.

Oh my how our likes and dislikes change over a couple years.
  20. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

Money no object Virginian is still my favorite. pictures to drool over: http://www.my-virginian.com/

Realistic, my favorite is a 95' footer canoe stern De Vries I found on yw. Followed by the 102ft Feadship Intrepid I've seen advertised on this site, except for the heads and guest staterooms, but those things can be easily changed. Little less realistic is the 115 Feadship "BEIJA FLOR" I've seen on yw advertised as well. Have a thing for classics.