Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

What yacht for a Round-the-World voyage ?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Steven H, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

What? You haven't bought a boat yet?

Steven H:

The great part about Yacht Forums is it's diversity of thought.
    All the advice here is good. Heck, we're experts!
    Trouble is, there's a lot of voices--here and elsewhere--that offer up enough options to paralyze all but the most determined.

I side with Lars (AMG in this thread) who advises going small to reduce complexity, cost, ease of handling and-- get this-- lots of folks have crossed oceans (and more) in crummy off-the-shelf boats because that's all they could afford! There is a lot of marine literature out there to support this. More importantly, this approach allows you to get out NOW without wringing your hands whilst waiting for the perfect boat to come along.
    Hint: it never will.

I sense, however, that you'd like to take a lot of stuff along with you and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. There was recently a famous yacht broker who retired and who desired to continue his round-the-world voyaging. He had spent years advising clients about the best choices and knew what the game was all about; like Energizer, also of this thread, they both chose a Beneteau 50. The yacht broker was a husband & wife team.

In my own experience in dealing with people--couples, mostly, and none with crew-- who have done what you are espousing and who, being unsure initially as to what they really needed, erred on the side of safety, comfort, volume, and seaworthiness, ended up purchasing 53 and 63 Cheoy Lee motorsailers ( the sea-going equivalents of a HumVee) which, if your pocketbook can stand the hit of $400-600K, respectively, will acquit themselves quite nicely.
  2. Nazenin IV

After the world tour,which ended last week,the owner of Nazenin IV has put her for sale.He also informed that they are preparing for the successor of her in Turkey,to be delivered in 2009.
  3. dbart9

dbart9 Member

Manu, I agree about Tahiti. It is beautiful, but I would skip Bora Bora. My wife and I just honeymooned in Moorea and Bora Bora and wished we spent all the time in Moorea. We don't sail or have a yacht... but by all means if someone is to sail around the world, a stop off in Moorea is a must. Some day I would love to own a yacht and would like to travel back there, but not too worried about it.
    I saw a couple large yachts in Cooks Bay and a few in Bora Bora. I'll see about posting some pics.
  4. Not to hi-jack...

Hi all,

Not to hi-jack the thread but...

My brother and I just acquired a 55ft unihul fiberglass ship. It's about 25 years old and hasn't seen water yet. The story behind it is that a millionaire was building it in Tampa Bay and was killed in a car accident after the hull was formed and basic interior was layed out. It has some hardware like mast mounts, gear down to rudder, ETC...but not much. We're planning on spending the next two years building her and then taking off to sail around the world [after several local trips to get used to her.] The cost of the ship...FREE.

He knows more about sailing than I. I suspect the element I bring to the table is perseverance [or stupidity :)] At the age of twenty I've completed Land Rover Expeditions driven from FL down the coast of Mexico and into remote areas of Belize, shipped a Land Rover to Australia and competed as the only US team in the Australian Outback Challenge, ETC.. I have a hunger for life journeys and travel. I know this is a huge undertaking but I am banking on three things that I see on our side:

1 - The ship was free.
    2 - So long as we don't rush ourselves we can enjoy the entire build process and really know our ship once we're out to sea with her.
    3 - The time also gives us the opportunity to spend as we go. Neither of us are rich. We have a combined income anually of around $150k a year.

Two questions - What could we expect to spend on outfitting the boat if we do all the work ourselves - engine, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, fiberglass, rigging, ETC...? and two, Are we Crazy?

I've just started the process of data mining this weekend so if anyone can suggest any other sites or things I should check into I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks and kind regards,

Hi-jack complete..
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, there are several websites and forums with focus on this subject for you to explore. Do a Google search under cruising. Your "free" yacht may cost quite a lot if you buy new equipment, what you have got usually represents ten percent of the final cost. But if you can spend time to find used things and do all the work yourself, why not!
  6. gharr8

gharr8 New Member

There are basiclly two types of boats, regardless of size. Day sailers and heavy displacement cruisers. Big roomy daysailers are great for the weekend but in bad weather , you have to turn tail and get to port. On the big water ,like you are talking, I would prefer a heavy displacement ship, 32-40 ft, 18000-20000 lbs. Big day sailers are open, spacious and pretty, but what you need is safety and STORAGE....room for the supplies to get you by. One of my favorite boats is the Cabo Rico. Award winning design. Great ship. There are different manufacturers on the market. and quite a few quality ships.

Good luck and happy sailing

Grant
  7. nilo

nilo Senior Member

nazenin V

the work is in planning stage, they have done some mock ups for the hull structure and furniture finish. as to my knowledge, she will be the 1st aluminum hull built in RMK.

nilo
  8. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

Depending on budget, my choices begin with the Pacific Seacraft - Crealock 44, a reliable boat from a very professional shipyard, and end up with the Halberg Rassy 62.

Larger boats like de Dashew 78, or even Amyr Klink's 90' Paratii 2 can also be handled by a couple, but I believe that the Halberg Rassy 62 would fulfill my needs.
  9. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The real issue is not the length of the vessel but sail area. 1 man without the aid of rollerfurling can handle approximatley 350 square feet of sail.

Apply a few basic rules

All things mechanical can break

K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple Stupid

Murphies Law
    What can go wrong will at the worst possible moment

O'Toole's Law
    Murphy was an optimist

You will never get out of bed again :D
  10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Cruising Cat in Thailand

Dear Steven,
    Since you are considering a multihull, I might be able to recommend an excellent 43 footer for you now under construction in Thailand. I just returned from a month over there, and during the last week I made a tour of 4 yards looking at possibilities for a Brazilian client to build several 70 footers to my design.

Another advantage of that Thailand location is Thailand itself if you've never visited, and its proximity to the South Pacific.

Contact me off list if you are really interested.
  11. techmati

techmati Senior Member

anything with toilet in the stern. ocean sailing and toilet in the bow is no fun :mad:

furling main also

i second the keeping watches.......commercial vessels or floating containers :eek:

AIS, Liferaft, EPIRB and SART or PLBs

http://www.lostatsea.info/
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  12. brian eiland

MotorSailers

How is your 'boat search' coming along?

As noted by Loren Schweizer above, I'm also a big fan of MotorSailers. If you do a "search" on this forum I think you will run across quiet a number of such discussions.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=447134

Cheers, Brian
  13. zarkmud

zarkmud New Member

I am doing the same analysis and keep coming back to the same problem-I like the idea of the Catana 471 CAT and the Flybridge visability of the Lagoon 440-I don't like the exposed aspect of the Catana but love the performance and that may be the deciding factor-speed and performace outweighs perfect visability and total comfort although flybridges can cause seasickness and puts you away from your guests. Monohulls...no way for long distance. Sailing cats is the only way...but which one? I looked at at 56' Fountaine Pajot...too massive for me by some distance considering I do not know squat about sailing!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If that is the case how can you be so sure a Monohull is no good for long distance travel?

The only Ocean I have not crossed in a sailboat is the Indian Ocean. I have done the rest of the planet on two different monohull sailboats.

I would not consider going deep sea or long distance cruising on a catamaran myself.
  15. zarkmud

zarkmud New Member

It is my initial opinion from whatever research I can find...I think that a CAT is more forgiving and more stable than a monohull particularlly for someone who does not know squat. I assume you do know squat, so... If you don't like CATS for long distance...tell me why.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I will admit that CATs are faster than most monohulls but in my opinion they are not as comfortable as a monohull for cruising long distances.

I also know for sure that in really heavy weather I would rather be in a monohull anyday.

Overall it is personal preference, you see mine based on a few years sailing and a good few miles in mono hulls.
  17. brian eiland

I see that 'link' quoted does not work.

Go to the SEARCH word above in this forum and click it. In the box provided type in "motorsailer". I think you will find some interesting material.

You might also google the word motorsailer as well.
  18. zarkmud

zarkmud New Member

I appreciate your opinions...but when you give one, it would be helpful to me to know WHY you have that opinion-why do you prefer a monohull in severe weather? As far as comfort is concerned I find that most CAT people seem to think that the fact that they are not heeling all over the place is a plus...maybe not as much fun, but more comfort assuming the **** thing does not kill you for some reason.
  19. Henning

Henning Senior Member

The only time I've been dropped to my knees on a boat was on a catamaran. They are not "flat and stable" in heavy weather. The move with a shifting jerking motion. The are quite limited in the wave size they endure unless specifically designed to take on big seas, and it pretty much takes a large cat to take on large seas, either that or a racing type with no fixed deck between the hulls. I did a delivery with a 12M cat in the Southern Ocean from Perth to Adelaide. It was a pretty wild ride downhill in 20- 25' seas, but at 18 kts the noise of the bow wave hitting the bottom of the house was deafening, and by 21kts, you could feel it acting as a brake and taking a lot of force. The same vessel in 4' seas off the nose could not be driven, best we could make was 2 kts. Most people have never had a catamaran in heavy weather. Monohull rides smoother, catamarans are jerky. Catamarans also need more precise driving when surfing to stay safe. You can plant a bow tip at the bottom pretty easy if you didn't use the brakes on the way down, and then you need to aim at the right spot and end up there at the right angle. A cat I would never recommend lying ahull, tried it, didn't like it one bit. That was with a 75' pseudo Wharam cat.

Nope, after years of running on big water, I'll still take a monohull for a cruise, the bigger the better. I want an 11 kt cruise with 15 kt sustainable. I'm over sailing and sailboats, keep a Laser or small dinghy sailer as a toy... but I'd probably convert a sailboat hull into my long range motor cruiser or build from scratch. Whatever it is will have a pilot house before departure.