Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport

What would you pay?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by The_Cap, Feb 2, 2013.

1. The_Cap

The_Cap New Member

I looked at a 33ft Roamer last weekend. Wasn't in nearly as good of shape as I'd hopped, infact it may need pretty much everything. The guy was looking to get $9k out of it. It's been in storage for 10 years. After looking at it it has some rust through on the hull, not alot, but it's there, both transmissions apper to be locked up, it doesn't have the original motors in it, but still GM small blocks, couldn't run the enines as they're winterized and the batteries are dead. However I suspect they are most likely cracked from freezing as I found a riser that had cracked. Couldn't check the electrical system as I said the batteries where dead and the seller didn't want to hook up a/c power as I think he was worrried about possible fire after sitting so long. It has the original steel fuel and water tanks, which I'm sure at nearly 50 years old need to be replaced. The hull needs to be spot pained above the waterline at the least, but really could use to be completely repainted, below the waterline I would certainly blast and repaint. The interior is decent.

So basically I feel it would be a shell and require mostlikely a complete rebuilt of all the mechanical components, which is fine at the right price as I'm fully capable of mecanical work. I was hoping it would be much more water ready, but it's not lol. I really like the layout and lines of the boat, but it's obviously a project.

Anyways, I've always heard an old boat is basically worth what the engines are, and if they're shot, that would be zero. I offered $800 as that's what the scrap steel would be worth, not that I would scrap it, but had to start somewhere. I haven't heard back, pretty sure that just ticked the guy off.

What would you pay for a shell of a boat?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If I really wanted this boat and a major project I'd offer to take it and not charge him. Otherwise he can use it as a lawn ornament for another 10 years. Even as scrap there's still the labor and haul away costs. So I think you were extremely generous. Assuming his first wife left him over this boat, how close to leaving does his 2nd wife seem? :cool:
  3. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Keep Looking

Per your description, $9000 way over priced!
  4. The_Cap

The_Cap New Member

Yes, $9,000 is way over priced, maybe if everything worked and it was sea worthy it'd be worth that. Don't get me wrong the boat it self is not junk, just in need of ALOT of attention.

This would obviously be a project IF I get it, which I'm fine with if I get it at the right price. I would have it brought to my property and put behind the barn where I can work on it as I get the time. I still would keep my Catalina till I finished this boat, the Catalina is relatively low maintainance and still plenty of fun on Lake St. Clair.

This boat actually wasn't actually his, he is the owner of the storage facility where it's been stored for the last 10 years and he aquired it due to non-payment of the storage fee's. But I'm with you he should be happy I'm getting it out of there. ;) Any surveyor would quickly find all the problems I did and tell the potential buyer not to buy it IMO. Maybe I'll wait another week and give him a call, I emailed him the original offer.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How far do you have to move it? Can you weld?
    Yep, He may need to pay you.
    Were all old boat lovers here. Old & fine lines turn us on.
    Practical reasoning is never a part of a boat junkies thoughts and we hate to see an ole girl go down.
    To protect your self; take a sip off coffee, deep breath, realize your going to build a boat by yourself with some guide lines (frame or two if your lucky), it will be years before you splash, it will be cheaper & faster to buy a plastic boat. And/or a newer boat would be cheaper.

Boat junkies also require shrink help from time to time.
  6. The_Cap

The_Cap New Member

LOL I do not know how to weld, but I do have a good friend that is an excelent welder. It has to be moved a couple hundred miles. That's going to run $1,200, go a quote on that before I even went up there. I know it'd be a long road. I do wonder though it seems like all these steel boats need welding, so am I any worse off? This boat at least does have a decent interior, and the wood is in good shape.

As far as the plastic boats go, that's what I have now, and she's a good boat. But I've read alot about delamination, blisters, wet cores, cracks, etc. So it makes me think even though steel rust, it shouldn't be much worse than fiberglass in the long run. I however have never owned a steel boat so I could be way off the mark on that one. My other choice would be a Commander on the similar vintage. I'm in no rush though as like I said before I have a nice good running Catalina already. In fact if she where a twin I probably wouldn't be looking at all. lol

Basically it sound like I was more than fair on the price. lol We'll just have to see if reality sets in to the owner.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You can only impose on your friend so far. Have you checked what good welders get today.:eek: Learn to weld if you're going to get a steel project boat. That still won't change the fact that steel plates are heavy to move around and hold in place for welding though. Anybody can sand down a blister and apply resin.
  8. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Welding

Welding is not always expensive. You just have to find the right person. In this economy they are out there. This would be a good "as available" project for extra income for someone. I had extensive welding on the bottom of my Roaamer two years ago for $2500. Just find a quality workman in your area.

Attached Files:

9. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

I bought a running and driving 1969 Chris Craft Commander 42 for $5500.
    I bought a 46' Roamer for $1.
    I know of a 27' Commander that floats and runs and doesn't need hull work...the yard is asking $1000 but would almost certainly take less.
    This one sounds like it's worth somewhere between $1 and a case of good beer...not a penny more.