Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service

What would you build with a $600 million Lotto ticket?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Fishtigua, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

I'd buy a Westport 130 as home base, a custom Cold Molded Sport Fish Yacht (Bayliss) & a Big Center Console fishing boat that could be towed to exotic fishing destinations behind the Westport. I would fish non-stop all over the world and have plenty of money left over to do what I want with. Total investment? $15-20MIL
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Only a very select one or two at a time when fishing.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why a 130 and not go all the way for a 164? We agree with you on that plan, just found it interesting.
  4. Dillon1018

Dillon1018 Member

With the current jackpot as it is, If it was me, I would build a Amels LE242 and a Damen Sea Axe 6911 Both Yacht's would follow each other around to the Med and Caribbean, I would also own a go fast yacht that would Based in FL.
    Total Cost Estimate- $160m
    Amels- $80m
    Damen- $40M
    Go Fast Yacht- $20M
  5. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I think the 242 is closer to $100m. Also, I feel like $160M is starting to get up there. I personally would take a real estate interest and focus on getting a 5% conservative return to fund the upkeep. Coupled with the tax benefits of the real estate, it helps with the income.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Real estate is way too volatile for me.
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If I won that in Canada, all tax free wow...had better not even think of buying a ticket, the *** would do me in..lol..
  8. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I think the way the tax treaties work is that if one of us in Canada won, there'd be a big chunk of US tax deducted, but once you get the remainder up here, there's no additional Canadian taxes.

So if you took the lump sum payout, you'd only end up with about half a billion...
  9. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If it was similar to Vegas winnings, you do get it back, takes a while but has been done..
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends. If you purchase it looking for income, rent on capital investment it does pretty well. You can get a 10% ROI if you pick your properties right and include conservative estimates for vacancy and repairs. I have 1 4 plex that brings in a 20% ROI consistently, it also has more than doubled in price since I bought it in 2009. It is not without minor headaches at times, but if you buy enough of them you can pay someone to manage them for you.
  11. German Yachting

That is my logic. I have a couple of large REIT as my clients so, having a good understanding of their business and how much growth they continue to experience, I think it is safe if you play your cards right.
  12. German Yachting

$1.5B, $930m CSV, $562M after taxes with no state income tax.
  13. German Yachting

And it's all over folks.
  14. Ward

Ward Senior Member

Sadly, I bought my ticket in Yreka CA when I was driving through after Christmas, so no new yacht (or car, or bike, or house...) for me!
  15. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

It's too much money anyway, taking care of what you could do with it, how to invest it, managing your investments etc. would inevideably escalate into several full time jobs so not much time left for playing with boats...
  16. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

So we've all given up on these dreams?...even while the lotteries are getting even bigger?
  17. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

No, not really. I´d possibly change my spending habits, refit a series 1 Hatteras 70 I´m currently selling for a client for myself and leave without a permanent address. Perhaps a few nice watches, eating out more often, travel a lot, stop running after other people´s money and ideas. Just living until it gets boring and I need another boat to refit and take care of.
  18. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Every once in a while I began thinking of a tree house to build,...a 'swiss-family' one like Walt Disney did long ago. And locate it on the coast of some hide-away island in the world, or maybe Bora Bora, or ??

I once had some cruising friends that thought they might end up managing a to-be-built resort on Royal Island in the Bahamas. I told them if they did, they would have to allow a small plot to build my treehouse. Then on another occasion I was cruising the northern coast of Cuba on a friends big cat. Cuba has LOTS of small islands off of its coast, and I was looking forward to the day we would normalize relations with them.

In both cases neither of these locations had big trees along their coast. My reply was Walt did it with concrete and it looked real.

WOW, I just found this elaborate story of the making of the original movie,..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Family_Robinson_(1960_film)
    I think i will try to find a copy of this movie and watch it again after all these years

I don't think I ever found a good photo of his earlist 'Swiss-family treehouse'. Can anyone help??

just found this,..
    https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/magic-kingdom/swiss-family-treehouse.htm
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

This is what I would NOT buy..
    IMG_6372.jpeg IMG_6372.jpeg