Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Comfort

What is the main reason owners leaving yachting?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pelagic Dreams, Sep 26, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The good thing about crew is that you choose the type of service you get; from someone to just look over your shoulder and helps you with things to chefs & masueses and white uniforms.:)
  2. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

That's really a great point. In navigating new water, passagemaking, long hauls in general, a captain and deckhand at least would make everyone breathe easy. I guess I was reading about people who wanted chefs, turn down service, house keeping.....that kind of "staff"
    For the most part, if you are going to be around a captain and such for weeks or months on end, the relationship has got to be special.
    Point well taken.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've had several clients whom I taught how to run and operate their boats; then kept them safe for a several years. Anybody asks me to serve Hors d'Ĺ“uvre will be responsible for splitting my sides from laughing.
  4. 84far

84far Senior Member

I usually find the people that leave yachting are the ones that didn't really have a clue what it was all about in the first place.

You have the owners that start off with a small boat, they do there research and buy boats within or under budget, so there not stretched with maintenance costs (the 5-10% rule). There the ones that usually stay in the game, because it's always a pleasure for them when using there working boat.

Then you have the owners who buy boats over budget, and can't afford the maintenance costs. There also usually the ones that think there tip top and like to treat others less then themselves, whether it's the guy fixing the motor, or the s/s guy. So there bound to always get ripped off, short cut fixing things... and at the end give it up because it was never enjoyable.

I think a big thing in boating is to always treat the guy fixing your boat with the upmost respect. Treating those guys poorly will always lead to bad experience. Cheers

Far